Defensive Carry banner

.25 auto

6K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  greyeyezz 
#1 ·
whats the best .25 ammo for concealed carry?

#2 ·
Anything 9mm or larger. Seriously, there's not much in the way of "best" for .25 ACP.

Reactions: Nmuskier
#3 ·
I do have a hi point c9 i carry to but it gets to unconfortable and its kinda on the heavy side, especially if im carring 19 rounds with it. What is a good concealed 9mm but cheap to im not into fancy carry weapons that you might use in self defense once in your life. Well in the part of Arkansas i live in anyways.

#6 ·
As Jeff Cooper said once. If you must carry a .25 carry it empty. If you carry it loaded you may be tempted to shoot it, and if you shoot it, you MIGHT hit someone, and if you hit someone you will make them very angry and they will hurt you worse than if you didn't shoot them. As for little guns I have a Ruger LCP in .380 ACP, but that is the absolute smallest I would recommend. A small 9mm is much better.

#12 ·
FMJ that away you will get decent for caliber penetration plus in that caliber over penetration is not to much a concern smallest i would recommend would be 32 not much difference but has a little more oomph and beretta tomcats can be had cheap enough

7.65mm browning with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window.

#14 ·
In all honesty you can pick up a Kel Tec P3AT (.380) or PF9 or P11 pretty cheap. If you do ever have to use the pistol in defense they'll be much more likely to perform well for you. If you must carry the 25 ACP pistol the Hornady listed above is your best bet. Empty the gun into the bad guy and be prepared to continue the fight with your hands or a knife.

Like a 22 rimfire, the 25 can easily kill someone. The problem is that you're less likely to get a hit that stops the situation quickly. Someone that dies of blood loss 5 minutes after you shoot him can still do a lot of damage before he shuts down.

#15 ·
Executing someone or a hog with a 25 or 22 is a different world than shooting in defense with one. 22 has been historically very popular for gang style executions which are practically always muzzle to the head contact shots.
It isnt the bullet doing a lot more than punching a hole thru the brain which is survivable part of the time but instead the force of the muzzle blast gases that does the internal damage that leads to almost instant death in such shots. 25 same thing.
I wouldnt equate shooting a hog point blank in the head and dropping it with a 25 to shooting a person in the chest or face with one from 3 feet away. That being said a 22lr semi auto rife can make life difficult for BG if thats all you have but itd be kinda hard to hide :smile:

#17 ·
here we go again, beating up on the 25 acp. many mango season ago, back in the 70's/80's i carries a beretta 950 jetfire as my "bug" on the job. during that time there was no such a thing as a pocket gun. not like it is today with the new pocket rockets. i have seen first hand what a 25 acp can do. all the bad guys and dirt bags carried them so i got first hand views of what they can do. i have seen one shot kills with the 25 acp. i have seen what several hits from a 25 acp can do,, make a mess. is the 25 acp the best gun to carry? hard to say now with the other pocket rockets on the market. but getting back to the ammo question. i carried a fmj ammo that had a bb in the tip. it was a power ball type of ammo. it would go through a 1/2 inch plywood plus with no troubles. now they have better ammo for the 25 acp. remember you are not going to be in a tv/movie gun fight. you need a gun that you will carry on your person at all times, a gun that will fire a full mag as fast as you pull the trigger without problems. and one reload that you can fit in your pocket.

#22 ·
FMJ in the .25

My wife has a PT25. She has shot all of my other guns 9mm, .380, .40.... She likes the feel of her .25 and is accurate with it. If she's ok, I'm ok with it. It's a really fun gun to shoot, but the ammo is a bit pricey compared to the others.

No matter what caliber gun you may use against a BG..... Be prepared for "Plan-B".

#24 ·
Anything you have will do a 25 is what it is I have one and have used it as a CC.
Already know in my mind if I must use it I will empty it in BG but not concerned about it

#28 ·
I had a .25 ACP once, and when I carried it I would always use ball ammo to get the most penetration as possible. A larger caliber would be best, but I don't think anyone here would jump at the chance to stop a .25 round either. Just saying.

#29 ·
I load the Winchester XP in any .25 I might carry. My wife carries one (a Seecamp) as her BUG with the same load.

The best argument for SP or JHP ammo in the .25 is that it digs into bone and is less likely to bounce off of the skull, which is where you should be aiming.

#31 ·
...without dissing the .25, since it's already been done here in a magnificent manner...I'd implore you to switch to a mousegun that fires reliably the .22LR...and will feed Stingers or Yellow Jackets...they will bounce around more inside, creating more blood loss, and causing shock and loss of consciousness faster than most .25 hits...I've seen more men who've been killed with the .22 short out of an RG10 2" barrelled revolver than I have any other caliber/gun...they sold for about $8 for many years...the doctors couldn't sew up all the holes inside before the recipient bled out...

...I do have to respectfully suggest that you don't depend on a .25 unless that's ALL you can find...I wouldn't equip anyone I cared about with that caliber except as a last resort...the stopping power is pathetic...oops, there I go...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.