Need help with Non +p .38

Need help with Non +p .38

This is a discussion on Need help with Non +p .38 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some .38 revolvers that are not +P rated. I don't use them for SD, but if I ever wanted to, I am looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Non +p .38

Exclamation Need help with Non +p .38

I have some .38 revolvers that are not +P rated. I don't use them for SD, but if I ever wanted to, I am looking for info on factory loads for defensive use. Links and info to back up recomendations is preferred, but not required. I am up to date on .357 and 38+p so that info is not needed. I also own other caliber weapons besides 38, so I don't want any "you aught to git you a (enter other caliber here)" comments

This will just help speed up my "hobby" search on the subject.
    I know there are a lot of people with vast knowledge on this board and am looking forward to reading your recomendations.

Thanks, in advance.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    http://www.remington.com/products/am.../remington.asp

38 Special R38S16 110 SJHP is suppose to be equal to the 125 gr 38 + P Load.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ball...mo_Search.aspx
    This is Federals Hydro shock for the 38 spl.

If you notice, the trend is to decrease bullet weight with decrease pressure to maintan velocities. With all that said the old FBI 38 spl load was a158 gr semi wad cutter going slow. I do not know a link to this but I do have some reloading data on it if you are interested.

You have to do some searching but I recently saw some of the old style "FBI" load available, 158 gr SWCHP in both non +p and +p. It has done well in testing except when penetrating heavy layers of fabric.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    158 gr SWCHP in both non +p and +p.
    Thanks ELCruisr for the correction I left off the hollow point (which is the best)part

Assistant Administrator
    I forget for sure but - go check Steve Camp's site - http://www.highpowersandhanguns.com/
    He has done a lot of sampling of ammo including .38 for snubs and IIRC has good results from a Rem load with a lead SWC or similar.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That link doesn't seem to work Chris.

Thanks to everyone else so far, and keep it coming. I want as much info as possible.

Two have mentioned the FBI load, but it is m understanding that it is traditionally +P. Correct me if I'm wrong, the hey day of that round was before my time. Though I agree that it is hard to beat from what I have read.

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry about the link - I had "high" instead of "hi'' and missed out the ''d'' from handguns - do try it now.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/
    Chris - P95

Try Blackhills ammo web site! Its good stuff and not to spendy.

I think it was either Midway or Natchez that had the FBI Loads in stock. IIRC they could be had either +P or non +P.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

non +P

Based on my very limited testing in wet newspaper and such, I like the 110gr Hydra Shok in .38. I used the 110gr Silvertip years ago, it wasn't +P, but I haven't seen it lately. I heard a rumor that Cor-Bon would make the DPX in a non +P, but they don't list it. All they list is a non +P GLaser. I'm lucky to be hoarding a few boxes of Nyclad 125gr .38, and I'll use those until they're gone. Best ever. I didn't know anyone was loading a 158gr LSWCHP non +P, but the +P doesn't expand very big from a snub, don't know how a non +P would perform. Sure would like to test one.

Hmmm, it appears Superhouse 15 is right. I went looking and it's only the non hollow point 158 gr swc available in non +P. Sorry about that!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Two have mentioned the FBI load, but it is m understanding that it is traditionally +P. Correct me if I'm wrong, the hey day of that round was before my time. Though I agree that it is hard to beat from what I have read.

You are correct it is +P sorry about that.

Darryl

So far it seems like they have quit making any good stuff in non +p. Nyclads seem to be great in standard pressure as well as DPX (I think), but they quit loading it in non +p as far as I can find. Still searching. Might have to get some handload made by someone?

The 110 gr hydra-shok seems to be the choice, but has low penetration and loses it's jacket easily (if I can find it I'll link to the tests on this). Also, I dont' know about clothing barriers with the Hydra Shok.

Still haven't had time to look at Black Hills as suggested by Slider, and I read that Hornady might have an interesting load. I will post what I can find also, as a resource for anyone else.

I wonder if the 158gr non +p swc (not swchp)might be about as good as I can get. Bullet weight should ensure ok penetration, and it seems that hollowpoint spread is pretty much not going to happen at non+P velocities anyway.

Any thoughts on this or examples otherwise?
    Last edited by sgtD; October 20th, 2006 at 01:13 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    sgt - did you check Steve's site - now I have workable url?

The 158 swchp's are IIRC put thru some wet pack tests and some pics to show that some expansion seems feasable. The solid swc's of course would not be expected to expand.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/
    Chris - P95

Yes, IIRC his testsshow and he seems to prefer Nyclad and one other for non+p.(DPX I think, but I am at work and don't have time to verify that now) . But as I said, Nyclad is no longer made and the other is only offered in +p. It used to be offered as non +p but no longer.

I'll have to recheck in regard to the lswchp test in low pressure.

Thanks again for all your help folks

Added:Chris, Steve's test showed the DPX to be a good performer, but unfortunately like Nyclad, it's no longer available. Here is the link to the test for DPX, but it's now available only in +P.
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...ial%20Ammo.htm

A quote from Steve camp on this subject. "Those opting for revolvers should not go lighter than .38 Special +P."
    found at http://hipowersandhandguns.com/FAQ%2...ng%20Power.htm
    Last edited by sgtD; October 21st, 2006 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Confirmation Added link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links