Which Buckshot for a 870 Tactical?

This is a discussion on Which Buckshot for a 870 Tactical? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got a new Remington 870 Tactical. I just bought a few boxes of Winchester 3" 00. That was all that was left on the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xXxplosive
  • 1 Post By sammage
  • 1 Post By frankmako

Thread: Which Buckshot for a 870 Tactical?

Just got a new Remington 870 Tactical. I just bought a few boxes of Winchester 3" 00. That was all that was left on the shelves. What do you guys recommend? I am taking it with me to Alaska this summer so i have already ordered some Brenneke Black Magic Slugs for that purpose.
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    AK? No less than slugs/00. For the house I'm in favor of smaller, 0 or #1 for the possiblity of increased hits.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I like it all............my home 12ga. is loaded with 4 buck usually but 1 or 0 or 00 is fine with me.........it's all good as long as your not on the receiving end.
    TX expat likes this.

Federal Flite Control 00.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

Just bought some Remington 3" 000. The price was right and it seems to pattern very well at 15 yards out of a 18" cylinder bored 870.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    I am taking it with me to Alaska this summer so i have already ordered some Brenneke Black Magic Slugs for that purpose.
    What purpose, again? Hunting predators? Defense against Grizzlies? Grouse? General self-defense?

Myself, for SD I prefer 2-3/4" or 3" #1 buck.

For defense against predator animals that might come after me, I'd want the deepest-penetrating, hardest-hitting option. Which means one of the 3in #00/000 buck cartridges and slugs. Depends on the use.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

All of my serious defense buckshot is Flite Control OO from Federal. I'm glad I stocked up too. I see that Hornady amd Winchester also have high performance wads now, but I haven't tested them personally. I have fired a lot of the Federal and trust it. I'm in the minority but I'm not critical of those who believe in birdshot for home use under some conditions. My house is split and my kid's bedrooms are downrange. There are loads with larger sized birdshot with the Flite Control wad too. If you feel the need for birdshot you must maximize pellets on target. The FC does that (and presumably the Hornady and Winchester will too). It would be foolish to trust a Wal Mart bargain load of #8 shot in a thin wad instead of a heavy load of #4 or #2 or even #5 heavy shot in a wad that lets them pattern super tight at house ranges from an open choke defense gun.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

oo buck will do the job no matter what brand you buy or can find at this time.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You should check out Tangle's recent threads on shotguns/buckshot. I would spend a lot of quality time with a Wal-mart value pack of 8 shot and then the 00. Short stroking a pump ain't a good thing.

Federal tactical 9 pellet, with flight control wad. Nice tight patterns out to 21 feet. It likes my 870 tactical more than my 590 Mossberg

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    Just got a new Remington 870 Tactical. I just bought a few boxes of Winchester 3" 00. That was all that was left on the shelves. What do you guys recommend? I am taking it with me to Alaska this summer so i have already ordered some Brenneke Black Magic Slugs for that purpose.
    If you plan to use the 00 Buck in an outdoor role, I'd say that you have the perfect load. 00 Buck @ 1225 fps will penetrate upwards of 20+ inches and does a tremendous amount of damage to whatever has the misfortune of being in its way.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

My 18.5" 870 patterns well with WW Ranger Reduced Recoil 9 pellet loads @ 25 feet. POA is dead on and all 9 remain well within the torso area.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My SD loads are #4 buck with a full choke out to 30 yds and 00 in the MOD barrel out to 45 yds. This has worked well for me against coyotes and coons. I cant think that Id want more for wolves, but a bear Id be looking at slugs. DR

Links