Defensive Carry banner

Which calibers are most common for pistol/rifle/shotgun?

19K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  davidw 
#1 ·
Which ammo calibers are considered "most common"? Or in other words, when the SHTF, if ammo becomes scarce...which will be easiest to find around?

I know that the 9mm is one of the most commonly used pistol calibers, but what about rifle calibers and/or even shotgun ammo?

#27 ·
JT Quote "One of these days I’m going to start reloading. I’ve been saving my brass for quite a while, so I have a good start on supplies."

Sounds like me...I've got 4 Kitty Litter tubs full of 9mm, and one full of .45s. I know Dillon is fine reloader, but I've been eyeballing the cheaper Lee Loadmaster for some time now...Anybody got comments on it other than you get what you pay for?

#28 ·
Shtf?

rocky said:
SHTF situation , better plan on 9mm, 12 guage, 5.56. All Mil. cartridges currently standard issue. Lots of mil. bases around and comercial sources.
How did we get here from reloading? Anyway, I agree except I'd say that even in WESTOVERSHOE WYOMING, your gonna be able to find 45ACP. I also think one more rifle cal instead of or as a complement to the 5.56mm and that of course would be the 7.62x51 (NOT the 7.62X39!! Unless the UN comes a callin'!)

#31 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
How did we get here from reloading? Anyway, I agree except I'd say that even in WESTOVERSHOE WYOMING, your gonna be able to find 45ACP. I also think one more rifle cal instead of or as a complement to the 5.56mm and that of course would be the 7.62x51 (NOT the 7.62X39!! Unless the UN comes a callin'!)
Response to first page replies. As for reloading I like my Dillon 550. Don't reload enough to justify a 650, but I do load enough to know the 550 makes it quicker and easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.