glad i got a 40 s&w - Page 2

glad i got a 40 s&w

This is a discussion on glad i got a 40 s&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Apparently Im very lucky. 9mm is about 3 dollars a box cheaper than 40 at my LGS but 40 and 45 are within 10 cents ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: glad i got a 40 s&w

Apparently Im very lucky. 9mm is about 3 dollars a box cheaper than 40 at my LGS but 40 and 45 are within 10 cents of each other per box in either ball or Hp in any brand of ammo.
    Go figure
    ironmike86 likes this.

im thinking about getting a 9mm barrel for my g23 so i can get cheaper ammo to practice with b.c i am on a somewhat tight budget. also am looking to get a new glock 17 or glock 21 in about a month or so. but if i get a drop in 40-9 barrel and get a glock 21 i can have 3 differently varieties so am considering it but still thinking

VIP Member
    I bought the bill of goods on the 40 and I'm still buying. I'll concede that the 40 is probably only slightly better than the 9mm (I will not concede to there being no difference as the 9mm people say- even though I used to carry a 9). I will even go so far as to say that the marginally better performance does not justify the lower round count may be valid. But at the end of the day I decided I prefer the 40. Do I shoot it better than a 9? Nope- but I don't shoot it worse either. And I feel more comfortable in the performance of a 40 should the round fail to expand, which happens from time to time. For me, that's where the decision was made. I may be wrong, I may be right. Doesn't matter one bit. In the end we make choices based up what we believe. Hopefully we did some research before coming to that decision.

Anyway, on to my real point for this thread. The OP says he recommends everyone have 500-1000 rounds available. So are you suggesting I sell all the extra? There may be 1000 in the couch cushions.
    Jaybm, FlaRon and Bark'n like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

ya or u can give the rest to me. k ill resay, i recommend u have 500 to 1000 plus for the guys who like everyone to know they have more than 1k of ammo my fault for throwing a low ball number!

Certainly don't want to fuel the caliber war as that isn't the point of the OP. I too am glad my carry piece is a Glock 27 because when I go ammo shopping I can find 40 S&W, even in these crazy times.

As to 9mm vs .40cal and which is better? I look at it this way, most popular 9mm rounds are 147gr and 124gr. The 147gr gold dot travels around 990fps from a 4 inch barrel, the 124gr about 1150fps.

A 40.cal in 165 gr will average 1150fps (ranger t/gold dot) and a 180gr (gold dot)averages around 1025fps.

Take caliber out of the equation for a second. Would you rather have a lighter bullet moving slower or a heavier bullet moving faster? And if you carry a 124gr or 147gr +P load, then you are close to .40 cal recoil anyways. The reason I think people say 9mm isn't any less potent than the .40 S&W is likely because there just isn't enough real world comparison. But pure physics would tell you the heavier bullet going faster is more lethal.

Food for thought, shoot what you like, just throwing out some ideas.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Re: glad i got a 40 s&w

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    im thinking about getting a 9mm barrel for my g23 so i can get cheaper ammo to practice with b.c i am on a somewhat tight budget. also am looking to get a new glock 17 or glock 21 in about a month or so. but if i get a drop in 40-9 barrel and get a glock 21 i can have 3 differently varieties so am considering it but still thinking
    Why not just buy a 22 pistol if you want to shoot cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Just for grins and giggles I am looking for a 40S&W barrel and recoil spring for my 10MM Delta Elite just because it is easier to find 40 S&W compared to the 10MM.
    I have one from Barsto. I had to get mags to make it reliable.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I like how some are saying "why would you carry a .40 because it holds less rounds?" just so you know most .40's only hold one to two less rounds then a 9mm... And I will agree that bullet design has come along way and I will carry a 9mm from time to time. Bullet design has closed the gap on ballistics of "the big three" 9mm .40S&W and .45ACP.

With the logic of less rounds in the .40 then the 9mm, no one should be carrying a .45ACP because they hold less the the .40... (in the same model/size gun)

It is all personal choice. and I'm glad I have the .40 because I also have the option of shooting 9mm.
    smolck likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Personally I like the .40 S&W because it closes the gap between the velocity of the 9mm and the size of the .45 ACP. The average expansion of a .40 Federal HST is .94 to .96 inches at 1000fps compared to the 9mm .89-.92 inches expansion at 1000fps and the .45 ACP .97-.99 expansion at 800fps. IMO, its a good medium of speed and size.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links