glad i got a 40 s&w

glad i got a 40 s&w

This is a discussion on glad i got a 40 s&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; when i got my first handgun a couple months ago i was debating over a 9 and 40 in glock smith wesson or springfield and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: glad i got a 40 s&w

glad i got a 40 s&w

when i got my first handgun a couple months ago i was debating over a 9 and 40 in glock smith wesson or springfield and luckily i choose a glock 40, went to get some more ammo today and looked at 2 different stores where i usually get my bullets and they were completely out of 9s and 45s. in 40s they had atleast 3 diff brands to choose from. last time i checked the two places about a week ago they were both out of 9s and one store had 3 boxes of 45s. im glad i can still stock up just reached 415 bullets for my 40! lookin to keep around 500-1000 on hand at all times. suggest every one do the same...
    Driver89 likes this.

Get a reloader and keep ur brass too.
    Jaybm likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    when i got my first handgun a couple months ago i was debating over a 9 and 40 in glock smith wesson or springfield and luckily i choose a glock 40, went to get some more ammo today and looked at 2 different stores where i usually get my bullets and they were completely out of 9s and 45s. in 40s they had atleast 3 diff brands to choose from. last time i checked the two places about a week ago they were both out of 9s and one store had 3 boxes of 45s. im glad i can still stock up just reached 415 bullets for my 40! lookin to keep around 500-1000 on hand at all times. suggest every one do the same...
    That's because outside of law enforcement agencies who adopted the .40 cal, it's not nearly as popular among civilian shooters. It is more expensive than 9mm, the guns hold less rounds than 9mm, and it's arguable as to whether the .40 has any better performance in stopping bad guys than 9mm.

I carried a .40 cal Glock for 9 years because I didn't have a choice. I finally sold it and went back to 9mm.

I don't have anything against .40 cal. It just has a sharper recoil than 9mm, cost more, and you carry less ammo. But it certainly stops people about as well as 9mm.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yup.

I carry a 23 and shoot a 35 in Competition.

Actually really like the .40, especially in the longer 35, although I have no problems with my 23.

VIP Member
    Just for grins and giggles I am looking for a 40S&W barrel and recoil spring for my 10MM Delta Elite just because it is easier to find 40 S&W compared to the 10MM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

ya i like 40 and i trust it with mine and my familys life. and theirs a reason Leo carry and depend on 40 cal.

and theirs a reason Leo carry and depend on 40 cal.
    Really? Pray tell, what?

Could it be it was because they were sold a bill of goods?

Granted, when law enforcement first moved to the 9mm in the early 1970's, poor ammunition design and performance put a bad taste in everyone's mouth regarding 9mm as a defensive round. That was 40 years ago. Since that time, both the guns and the ammunition has been vastly improved upon. Modern loadings in the 9mm today puts it right on par with the .40 cal.

Now I have nothing against .40 cal except for the price of ammo and limited capacity. I owned my G-23 for over 12 years and carried it for over 9 years as a swat medic. Sweet gun and decent enough caliber. I have no issues trusting my life to .40 cal ammo. But I can afford to shoot my 9mm's a heck of a lot more than I could my G-23. I've run into very few people who say they shoot a .40 cal better than they do a 9mm because of the simple physics involved.

Again, I find the .40 cal to be a decent round. My goal however is to be able to shoot as often as possible to keep my skills up. 9mm is simply more affordable, and certainly not lacking any in performance. If the ammo cost the same, I'd still be shooting .40 caliber guns today.

I like big bore guns. I own a couple 1911's in .45 ACP. I don't carry them much anymore for defense because they are just too damn expensive to shoot a lot. Plus I can carry lighter weight guns which has two and three times the capacity.

My reason for choosing 9mm is more of an economic issue than a performance issue so please don't think I'm out to bash .40 cal.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I bought a Bersa .40 after shooting a friends and it seemed like that was the only ammo
    available at the time. Hmm, slightly over four years ago. Very happy with it and have
    collected a lot of brass over time.
    One day I just may get a 9mm but with six handguns and several long guns already
    the SO has a dim view of adding another.

Neighbor was at local Academy the other day, said people were in line at the gun counter.
    Guy behind the counter was overheard saying "I can sell you a gun but we don't have any
    ammo to go with it." Several customers just left hearing that.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    My thoughts:

If carrying 9mm I would be most comfortable with a "premium" hollow point like Ranger T or Federal HST
    In 40 S&W I would be okay with a "regular" hollow point like Winchester USA white box 180, Federal Hi-Shok 180
    I think the average 40 S&W 180 JHP offers potentially "better performance" than the average 115 - 147 gr. 9mm

I'd guess that some people would be less satisfied with 9mm over 40 S&W if premium HP ammo was removed from the equasion.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I've run into very few people who say they shoot a .40 cal better than they do a 9mm because of the simple physics involved.
    I know I can't.

I'm better with the 9mm than I am with the .40.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That's because outside of law enforcement agencies who adopted the .40 cal, it's not nearly as popular among civilian shooters. It is more expensive than 9mm, the guns hold less rounds than 9mm, and it's arguable as to whether the .40 has any better performance in stopping bad guys than 9mm.

I carried a .40 cal Glock for 9 years because I didn't have a choice. I finally sold it and went back to 9mm.

I don't have anything against .40 cal. It just has a sharper recoil than 9mm, cost more, and you carry less ammo. But it certainly stops people about as well as 9mm.
    That sums up why I don't have anything in .40, although I have considered it many times. The OP is right about it being available on the shelves when 9mm is not and .45 is rare. Makes me think I might add a .40, a .357, a .380...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Love my XD-40. Had an XD-9 a few years back and i just like the .40 better... Getting the Bar Sto .357 Sig barrel for her, too.

...and theirs [sic] a reason Leo carry and depend on 40 cal.
    Yep! Some pencil-neck told them they have to.

Regards,
    Jim
    phil413tx likes this.

With the premium hollow point ammunition available today the performance gap between the major calibers has closed quite a bit. However that being said, I like the .40. I am apparently one of the few people who shoot it as well as, and in many cases better than the 9. And being a handloader, cost is not an issue for me. I have all the defensive ammo I need and I handload my practice ammo in all calibers from 9mm to .45. I carry my G23 quite often and I am confident in its ability to get the job done and my ability to shoot it well.
    Jaybm and Bark'n like this.

I have a G19 and G23. Defensive rounds the recoil feels same to me. 9mm,40Sw and 45 Acp all have the +/-. But for me it's the gun. I like 1911 so I have 45. I got the 40Sw when the hype of the " new" round. But 9mm is pretty economical. 40sw isn't to much more but 45 does add up. i go to the range shoot the 45 and always end up shooting my 9mm so I can stay longer. My new carry is the Xds.45 yes but I liked the gun. Also when I went to the store today they was no 9mm or 40 sw. Plenty of 45 acp and 10mm JMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links