22lr ammo

This is a discussion on 22lr ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HOME DEFENSE 20 or 12 gauge pump shotgun,you can keep the mag tube full and if something goes bump in the night well theres a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 22lr ammo

HOME DEFENSE 20 or 12 gauge pump shotgun,you can keep the mag tube full and if something goes bump in the night well theres a whole lot of buckshot in a #4 or 00 buck rounds
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKelli View Post
    I've shot revolvers and autos. I like both. I own both. I also like the M&P 9, just not liking the cost of shooting with it. I want to be accurate and really know the weapon I chose to carry, which means shooting it often. I can't afford to buy both a 9 and a 22lr, not to mention the ammo needed to practice with them both. My 44 revolver is expensive enough. (Can't carry that,...barrel length is an issue) Until I decide which to buy, I'll carry my 380 auto. I really wish there were more ballistic tests with the 22lr's. Not just ballistic gel, but one that shows bone and organ damage, like on that one show called "deadliest warrior". So I could see the damage and difference between something like the M&P 22lr and their 9mm.
    Kelli, welcome to the forum!

I've read your posts in this thread, and I have a few comments. Your overall thinking is headed in the right direction, but I think you're over-emphasizing the accuracy element. At least that's what I'm getting from your comments about good groups. Practice is indeed essential; shooting well with a handgun is a perishable skill. But regarding accuracy, separate the intrinsic accuracy of the weapon from the effective accuracy of you, the shooter. When you find yourself in a dire situation that demands armed defense, your heart rate will skyrocket and the adrenaline dump may make you shake. The ability to shoot 3 inch groups versus 1 inch groups at the range will instantly be meaningless if a lethal threat is approaching you from across-the-room distance. Realistically, there's probably no gun from a major manufacturer today that isn't capable of putting all shots inside an 8" circle at 10 yards. But you, the shooter, need to be able to do that under stress.

Regarding the effectiveness of the .22 rimfire, there is no doubt about its lethality, but it is most definitely not a fight-stopper. You won't know who your attacker is, so you don't know whether it's a cowardly punk acting on perceived opportunity, or as others have suggested, a druggie who's out of his mind from bath salts. The first one will probably be deterred by the mere sight of a gun, the other one probably won't even feel the hits from a .22. Lucky brain shots aside, .22s get their lethality from bouncing around inside a body. The shot that almost cost Reagan his life was actually a ricochet off his car; it cracked a rib and penetrated deeply enough to lodge near his heart and cause massive bleeding. But it didn't incapacitate him for over 5 minutes - he walked into the hospital under his own power. That's the risk of using a less-effective round.

Rimfires also will never be as reliable as centerfire ammo. I shoot a lot of .22 for fun and in a club-level "tactical" rifle match, and at the end of each match the floor is littered with scores of unfired rounds, some of which were cleared jams, the rest are duds that didn't fire when the primer was hit. My experience with bulk-pack ammo is not very good, with a 5% misfire rate with one brand in particular. Just one more element in the equation.

Considering you already have a .44 and a .380, I'd say you already have some good hardware on hand for home defense. Ultimately every shooter needs one or more .22s for inexpensive practice to keep the basic skills of sight alignment and trigger press honed. At the range, work your skills with the .22 and then run a dozen or two shots through your bigger-caliber weapons to retain familiarity with them. Dry fire practice including magazine changes is another from of low-cost practice. I just wouldn't rely on the .22 as a first choice for home defense, unless it was your only choice.

You also might consider a 2-step approach; get something like a S&W M&P in .22 for now, and save up (or trade) for the same gun in a serious defensive caliber. Same basic feel and operating controls; different recoil characteristics but substantially cheaper to run.

One last suggestion is to see if there's a "junior" IDPA or other practical match in your area that uses just .22s. I just shot one recently at my club and it's a hoot; there was no moving around, but the shooting is fast and you get caught up in the "competition" to get the pulse rate going.

Keep us posted on what you decide, and stay safe!
    HunterKelli likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I get the impression this is more of a money issue then an accuracy issue.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Get the M&P22 and practice. Then, order an M&P Shield 9mm (or M&P9c, I'm biased toward the shield.). If you opt for the Shield, you can practice with the M&P22 while you wait for it to come in, and you can then sell your .380.

Nothing < .22 < (most) anything else.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I've shot revolvers and autos. I like both. I own both. I also like the M&P 9, just not liking the cost of shooting with it. I want to be accurate and really know the weapon I chose to carry, which means shooting it often. I can't afford to buy both a 9 and a 22lr, not to mention the ammo needed to practice with them both. My 44 revolver is expensive enough. (Can't carry that,...barrel length is an issue) Until I decide which to buy, I'll carry my 380 auto. I really wish there were more ballistic tests with the 22lr's. Not just ballistic gel, but one that shows bone and organ damage, like on that one show called "deadliest warrior". So I could see the damage and difference between something like the M&P 22lr and their 9mm.
    44 revolver you can't carry

Unless that revolver was a gift or otherwise has special meaning, I know how you could acquire some money for a 9mm
    Can you really shoot the 44 quickly and accurately? Would it (44) really be a better choice for SD than a 9mm in your hands?

Without knowing your financial condition, hobbies, or amount of money spent on "non-essentials"...
    Is there money being spent on things that are not absoultley necessary (just a reflective question).
    Going out to eat, bars / "clubs", movie theater, ect... are examples of things (off the top of my head) that could be eliminated at least on a temporary basis to offset the increased cost of shooting 9mm over .22
    Maybe you don't do the preceeding or can't afford it anyway, just throwing ideas out there.
    If non-essentials have not been eliminated or reduced, then you have options of where to "find" the money for adequate SD.

Think of the guy in Miami that chewed a another guys face off
    How many times have we seen where cops had to shoot a suspect multiple times
    Where do cops carry a .22 pistol on duty

Consider this:
    My son shot a buck Dec. 30th. I don't know the live weight of the deer, but 175 lb. is a reasonable guess.
    The deer was about 7 yards away and slightly quartering toward us, at ground level.
    He shot the deer with a .223 AR. The bullet was a 60 gr. Nosler Partition which averaged 2,807 fps / 1,050# KE at the muzzle.
    The deer kicked up it's back feet and ran about 60 yards before stopping; he paused there, faultered and made it another 40 yards before falling over.
    The bullet had made a good size hole through one lung and the liver, pretty good shot for a 9 year old.
    Shot placement was good, the bullet was quickly lethal, but that deer had about 10 seconds of voluntary activity after he was hit.
    I've killed plently of deer with bullets and broadheads; they usually (typically) a have a few seconds of voluntary activity even if you take out both lungs, or the heart. Spine hits drop them, but they can still move front legs

Apply that period of voluntary activity to someone that is trying to kill you.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Re: 22lr ammo

You can do a great deal of productive practice with a dry fire regimen, which is also very cost effective.

Should you also get serious about taking a defensive pistol course, which you should, most places will not accept rimfire or anything below .380.

The cost of ammo is really insignificant compared to other daily costs that we bear. It's like everything else, priorities have to be defined.

Also, considering the current political climate, it may not be very easy for you to upgrade to a suitable defensive pistol, later.

OMO, YMMV

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm planning to buy a S&W M&P 22LR pistol. Using hollow points for defensive loads. I know the 22 is not considered a defense weapon and has been called not a "real gun"...but why would it not be a good weapon for home defense? I would think it would depend on what the owner is comfortable with, as some may be fine with shooting 40's and 45's, but others can shoot better with a lighter load. I was looking at it this way. If I can put 8 of 10 rounds in a tight group from 20-25' away, not jerk from the recoil, and control my weapon better, I would think that would be what counts. Not to mention the cost of practicing is much lower. Thoughts?
    What are prices in your area M&P and 22lr ammo?
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

Welcome. I suspect you are in the same boat as myself. Not a ton of disposable cash to get a myriad of firearms so one or two need to cover your needs.
    Ive been shot accidently in the chest with a 22 lr. I wouldnt rely on a pistol in 22 though 22lr semi auto rifle for HD is my back up to the shotgun.
    But you said carry so Ill relate this. Ive taught several female friends to shoot. Almost all dread the snap of a 380 or 38 prefering even a 45 to them because the recoil isnt such a snap but more a gentle flip.
    That being said what most of them have landed on now and will shoot accurately without recoil issues is the Ruger SR9C.
    It comes with a ten round clip for cc and a 17 round clip in the box in 9mm that will give high capacity for HD if a handgun is what you are going to use for HD instead of a shotgun.
    I know there are many fine compact 9mm out there and Im not familiar with all of them. But the SR9c is a reasonably priced, quality firearm that I am familiar with and seems to be the choice of most of my female friends rather than 22 or 380 or 38.
    Recoil isnt an issue with the Sr9c for any lady ive seen shoot one. Good luck on your search.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I know a female NRA pistol instructor that carries a 22LR revolver for many of the reasons you stated. And just as a side note, It will go thru a 1/2 inch pine board at 430 yards.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Get a .22 rifle instead, it will allow for more bullet velocity and control during aiming. Some people say a pistol is better for HD, because the encounter is likely to at close range. Well if it is at such a close range, it means someone surprised you and thats not good. Prevent the surprise in the first place.

If I had to chose between the 2 I'd get a rifle and then have a good alarm system and dogs. Of course I'd get a rifle, pistol and shotgun if I was you.

I've got a Bersa Thunder .22. The best ammo for my gun is CCI. Since it has become scarce in my area I tried the bulk 375 for $25.00 with Troy Landy's name on the box. The store where I bought this claims it is the only bulk ammo they sell. After 100 or so rounds I've had 2 fail to eject, so I'm happy with this. Better than any other brand I've tried. My Ruger .380 has decided it likes the Winchester white box and Corbins for SD.Funny thing is, my wife likes to shoot her Ruger .38 (and she's getting better all the time) and won't touch the .380 at all now.Winchester white box for this and my Ruger .357 as well. She doesn't care to shoot the .357 with .38 loads very much. I loaded once for her with .357, she shot it once,laid it down and said never again. We are new to this and I plan to get more guns (higher caliber) this year. My point is, shoot what you like. I do it weekly from the .22 to the .357. I'll eventually convince her to shoot and become more familiar with every gun we own,just because she needs to learn as much as possible. Thanks for the site!

If you do start using a 22 for S/D, I strongly suggest using CCI ammo, as it has the bullet secured to the case giving it less chance to allow moisture in the case, causing a miss fire. I have seen no CCI cartages fail to date, I don’t use them that much, but I never saw one not go off. I shoot bulk ammo in mine, but it isn’t to defend my life.
    Danoh likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have a 380 auto, but I can't seem to get the best groups with it. I was hoping with a cheaper load, with less recoil for myself,such as the 22lr, I could easily put more practice time in and get much better groups. My way of thinking is that something is better than nothing, and if that something hits you in the chest with all ten rounds, I would think it would hurt...
    Keep the 380! Practice a lot with the 22, and your performance with the 380 will get better also. Heck even practice with a BB gun will improve your shooting. Just practice with a goal in mind, a smaller group, 10 shots in a 8" circle in under xx seconds, Being able to draw and put 2 shots in a 3" circle quickly, ETC.... I shoot a lot with my rimfire rifles and pistols. All the skills transfer directly to centerfire shooting. DR

22lr ammo

Where are people getting this "rimfire is unreliable"? I've fired 1,000's of .22LR, 22 mag and .17HMR bulk box and the more expensive stuff. Very rarely have I had a misfire. I get more misfires from center fire pistol cartridges.

Re: 22lr ammo

I have a 380 auto, but I can't seem to get the best groups with it. I was hoping with a cheaper load, with less recoil for myself,such as the 22lr, I could easily put more practice time in and get much better groups. My way of thinking is that something is better than nothing, and if that something hits you in the chest with all ten rounds, I would think it would hurt...
    What 380 do you have?

What kind of groups are you getting, at what distance?

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links