22lr ammo - Page 3

22lr ammo

This is a discussion on 22lr ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a 22LR ballistic video on youtube that gave me pause...... Its changed my mind about the lowly 22LR. As far as reliability of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 22lr ammo

There is a 22LR ballistic video on youtube that gave me pause...... Its changed my mind about the lowly 22LR. As far as reliability of the rimfires, stay away from the cheap ammo and you'll rarely see problems. My daughter, when she is at home, has a SR22 in her room, loaded and ready to go. I'ved told her that if she ever needs to shoot, shoot fast and hard, reload, shoot fast and hard.

A 22LR is going to hurt, thats all there is to it. Those of you that poo-poo this round are living in a dream world. I would fear getting hit from a 22LR or a 45. Anything else in between.......phhth. Go look at the video's, and evaluate the damage each round can do, for yourself.

ALL that being said, I carry a 45. I believe that most confrontations will end when the BG see's the barrel. and I want him to pee his pants.

I totally forgot that Reagan was almost killed and with a 22 even. PLUS it bounced off of the door edge and still went in pretty deep and it was at of a distance of about 10 feet roughly. I try to buy ammo in bulk as much as possible especially if you're going to burn threw alot just practicing with your weapon which you really need to anyways.

Beware of the squids . Most shooters are aware that a weapon should be cleared and bore checked if a round doesn't sound right . But you would be surprised at how many people would just keep shooting .
    There are a lot of rimfires out there that have been damaged by ringed barrels .
    I had just bought a Volquartsen fiber barrel for my 10/22 and zeroed it in . My son stopped by and asked to take it down on the farm and shoot , I specifically told him , no rapid fire , as I was aware of the possibility of a squid and knew that the excitement of splashing water or rapid plinking one can fire overtop of a squid and ruin a barrel .
    Well quess you know what happened , I felt like choking him , a three hundred dollar barrel ruined , I suppose his ears are still burning over that one . Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth66 View Post
    Beware of the squids...

Remington Golden Bullets cycle the best to me in all my guns and CCI's are to high to practice with so I just use them for all around loads.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKelli View Post
    I have a 380 auto, but I can't seem to get the best groups with it. I was hoping with a cheaper load, with less recoil for myself,such as the 22lr, I could easily put more practice time in and get much better groups. My way of thinking is that something is better than nothing, and if that something hits you in the chest with all ten rounds, I would think it would hurt...
    I think you would be better off using the money you were going to spend on a 22 pistol to purchase more practice ammo for the 380. A 380 is an acceptable self defense round. Someone else mentioned that you might consider selling the 44 that you own. This also makes sense.

I will relate something about recoil and practice that I have observed in myself.

I have a Glock 27 in 40 caliber, which is the smallest lightest model that glock makes in the caliber that everyone seems to agree has the most felt/harsh recoil.

I had quite a hard time trying to shoot it accurately when I first started shooting it because I would line up my sights, S-L-O-W-L-Y pull the trigger, and invariably jerk the gun down just as I thought it was going to fire because I was anticipating the recoil. Many times I would catch myself jerking the gun down before it fired, and I would release the trigger before it fired. This was because I kept anticipating the recoil.

Then I started shooting IDPA training where you are shooting at targets while trying to maintain cover, and against a timer. I find that I never anticipate the recoil now because I am shooting faster (still not so fast as to consider myself competative.) The point being, save the money you would use on a gun to get more practice time with the gun you already have, and find a technique that works for you.

If the OP is still reading this here's some more food for thought.

If your intention is strictly a home defense gun, a 12 gauge shotgun is generally considered the best. I have a shotgun, but my nightstand gun is a Judge loaded with .410 PDX discs and buckshot. At room distances it is deadly (we tested it, it will blow a hole in a 2X4, that works for me). I like the Judge because there is some shot spread at close distances so if I'm shooting in the dark from a sound sleep hopefully the round can compensate a little. 12 guage buckshot at 20 feet is still only an inch or two spread, if that.

As a daily carry gun a .380 is the minimum. A .380 is just about as good as a .38. In the summer I carry mine with HP ammo, and in the winter I switch to ball to obtain better penetration through winter clothing if need be. Where problems with .380's come up is penetration. Many times people are shot in the hands or arms and the round may or may not continue on into the torso. A .380 hitting an arm bone is done, but the bad guy may not be. That is why I carry a .45, the bad guy will be digging his arm bone out of his lung when he's hit with a .45.

My .380 is a backup to my .45.

As an aside, a full size 1911 is actually "easier" to shoot than a .380, and because of the longer barrel is far more accurate. There is less snap to the recoil. A .380 is designed for up close defense, not much over 20 feet. This is fine for the average person as probably 95% of armed encounters are at that distance or less.

A 9mm provides almost the power of a .45, but you can get 15 to 18 rounds.

Guns I like, own and/or carry, that are relatively reasonable in price,
    Ruger SR22 - good mid size .22 (I don't carry it, but it's fun to shoot!)
    Ruger LCP - good .380
    Ruger LC9 - probably the best small 9mm - has a stout recoil, but not as sharp as the LCP. Trigger pull is about 2 feet long... only real negative
    Sig 938 - smallest 9mm made (I think) but only holds 7 rounds and costs $250 more than a Ruger.
    Ruger SR9c - good mid size 9mm (18 rounds)
    Taurus Pt145 - smallest 11 round .45 I could find (I don't recommend it, I carry one, but it's stout to shoot and difficult to aim - but it's $350 and blows a 3/4 inch hole in anything it hits!)
    Rock Island 1911 - .45 with a good reputation (personally I prefer my Colt, but love my RI too and it's $400 less than the cheapest Colt)

There are plenty of other good guns too.

The main things I think are shoot whatever you like, that you can shoot well and feel comfortable with, and can afford. And the bottom line is if you shoot someone enough they are going to stop whatever they are doing.

And remember... "A 9mm may expand, but a .45 never shrinks." :)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKelli View Post
    I have a 380 auto, but I can't seem to get the best groups with it. I was hoping with a cheaper load, with less recoil for myself,such as the 22lr, I could easily put more practice time in and get much better groups.

Cost of ammo is the issue
    I would go with 22lr. If you have a revolver, get a revolver 22lr. Have a semiauto, get one similar. Its a no brainer. From looking at your avatar, kids can get expensive and not everyone have disposible income in this economy to blow 380 auto, 9mm, 357sigs, 45, etc in sheets of paper at the range. Right now, ammo is getting too pricey.

My friend's brother has expensive kimber 45 caliber and a 357sig. Rarely goes out to the range. And if he does.... he only shoot like 50 rds because he can't afford the cost. Whats the point of having a gun if he never uses it? He will never be proficent nor accurate if he never practice it.
    And when we did go to the range, he would just load 1 or 2 rds, shoot, then stare at his target for like a 1-3 mins, then shoot 1-2 rds again so his ammo can last longer. While I was shooting my cheaper 9mm rounds and 22lr non stop. He finally got it.

And from what you wrote, you want more range time and practice without the high cost of ammo.

Spenting time shooting tons of 22lr and a box of 100 of 380auto will greatly help your skill level than just 100 rds of 380 auto. And 100 rds of anything goes by fast.

You kinda confused some people when you also asked if its a good defense caliber.
    Keep your 380 auto for self defense but mix it up with 22lr for practice. Like I said, not everyone have $$ to dump for practice.

I just recently got a p238 that takes 380 auto. Coming from Kimber Solo 9mm, was not impressed. Too many FTE and recoil for a pocket gun. There was a good quote that keeps floating around. What's the point of having a self defensive weapon if it always in your draw never carried because its too big or heavy?

550 rds of 22lr for 20 bucks or...
    550 rds of 380 auto, 9mm, 45, etc... for what $125 or more?

Hi there! Yes, money is an issue, despite reducing non-essentials. It's just how it is, not getting into more details there. Also, as far as using the 44 as a conceal and carry weapon, it is a very long barrel and there is no way to truly conceal it and it is bulky. Hunting, home defense with it, sure. But not cc. :)

I get 3"-5"groups with my 380 auto at around, 5-9 yards. I don't expect to shoot someone who is coming after me at 25 yrds. ;) If they are that far, I have time to load the 12 gauge.

I personally would not rely on 22lr as a defensive weapon. However if 22lr were my only choice, I would choose a revolver over a semi-auto. There have already been posts earlier in this thread regarding reliability of rimfire vs centerfire rounds. If you have a FTF with a revolver, you just keep pulling the trigger. A FTF in a semi-auto is going to take some time to clear.

a 22. can mess your world up

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth66 View Post
    Beware of the squids .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the minimum round required for defense against a squid is at least 45.

but good points guys

Gotta look at all the different aspects of the topic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links