????Question on .40 cal? - Page 2

????Question on .40 cal?

This is a discussion on ????Question on .40 cal? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have a glock 23 gen 3 and shoot it better then a friend and my stepdad with them using a smith and wesson gve9. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ????Question on .40 cal?

i have a glock 23 gen 3 and shoot it better then a friend and my stepdad with them using a smith and wesson gve9. im 5'7 145 so just depends i guess. im looking to get a 40 to 9 barrel so i can have two calibers in one. but overall i like my 40cal and don't regret getting it at all. but i can bet that some one wont know if they got shot with a 9 or 40 so its all up to you

I have a Glock 23c and a 27. (both are .40S&W), I actually like shooting the 27 better . Some interesting things about the .40 S&W round. I went to a local gun store and was thinking about getting a 10mm. I looked at the ammo boxes that had the ballistics listed. The .40 actually was more powerful than the 10mm, and it was 1/3 rd the cost. Most of the 10mm ammo is really watered down for better shootability I think.

I also have a Beretta Nano in 9mm. Maybe because of it's smaller size, I don't notice much difference in recoil than with the Glocks in .40 S&W.

If you go to www.balisticsbytheinch.com and compare the .40 to the .357Mag in a 3" barrel, the .40 has more power, (possibly because the powder burns quicker than the 357), so in the 357mag, the bullet is long gone before the powder is burnt up making for more noise and flash. In a 4" barrel the .357 gains on the .40.

.40S&W Corbon 140DPX .357mag Corbon 140 JHP

3" 1190 3" 1172
    4" 1236 4" 1394

.40 S&W worthless??? I could give you several cemetery plot addresses that would prove otherwise. There is far too much data to the contrary to give that opinion any credibility whatsoever--not sure what "expert" told you that one!

When selecting a carry weapon, you should select the largest caliber that you can safely and effectively control while delivering the most accurate groupings. What is the best gun/caliber for someone else may not be what's best for you. Base your decision on your own feel and perhaps a trained instructor that can work with you on this decision.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Thanks guys. After spending much time on the computer tonight reading I'm really lening toward the .40. Wife had to take afriend to the hospital, kids in bed so I've lots and lots of time tonight. I really like what I have read not only on here but other sources also. From what I read it appears that the energy at the muzzle is pretty close to that of a .357, just with a larger bullet. Now I could be wrong but was told that in a full size gun like the Beretta 96 that a .40 should have a little less recoul than a .357. I asked about recoil compared to a .357 since thats what I'm use to shooting. Heck I almost have myelf talked into going and putting one on layaway tomorrow.

3 of 5 of my handguns are .40S&W....I trust it with my life.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I like it a lot!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

This is a classic arguement and in my opinion (I don't claim to be an expert by ANY means) the main arguement for 9mm is capacity, my sr40 has a 15 round magazine so in a full size platform that advantage is null, personally its seems to me the .40 has a.unique recoil some people call it snappy if you will once you get accustomed to it (or any handgun for that matter) it will also nullify itself from the con side. Long winded way of saying personal preference. Some people like the 9mm some people like .40 you just have to decide whose side are you on :P

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupl View Post
    This is a classic arguement and in my opinion (I don't claim to be an expert by ANY means) the main arguement for 9mm is capacity
    And lucky for us thanks to the morons in office, the CHOICE to choose high capacity is about to be out of your hands. New York already passed a bill last night, 7 rounds is all you get. Why anyone lives there is beyond me.

I guess we shall see if it really was a capacity thing. If I am limited to 10 rounds (or 7) then caliber isn't a factor for capacity.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Well thanks folks. I just put the money down on a .40.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Well thanks folks. I just put the money down on a .40.

What did you decide on?

Its a Beretta 96f twotone.

Its a Beretta 96f twotone.

Nice. That wasn't one i was expecting. It's a hammer fired pistol that will likely have a de-cocker. I've never owned a decocking pistol but i've piddled around with one of my buddies...
    Last edited by wishyouwell; January 15th, 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo

Yep. Now I just need to get some dies and my reloading books back out.I've only loaded for .357/.38.

Yep. Now I just need to get some dies and my reloading books back out.I've only loaded for .357/.38.

I need to get into reloading, too. Be sure to bump this thread back up or what not when you get her and let us know how you like it etc.

Thanks. I sure will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links