????Question on .40 cal?

This is a discussion on ????Question on .40 cal? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was recently discussing on another forum that I was considering getting a .40. To be honest I dont have alot of experience with semi-auto. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ????Question on .40 cal?

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

????Question on .40 cal?

I was recently discussing on another forum that I was considering getting a .40. To be honest I dont have alot of experience with semi-auto. I've been shooting .357 mag revolvers for close to 20 years. To my surprise most of the folks acted like the .40 was useless. I kept being told eith 9mm or .45. Well I'm just looking for a little advice . I'm really not interested in getting a .45. The gun I have my eye on comes on either 9mm or .40. Is the .40 not a very decent round? Please forgive my ignorance. When I look on paper it looks good but I know paper and real life are 2 different things.

2. Remove Ads

Well I have a .40 cal Glock 23 I like it. There are many fine .40 cal weapons available. Go to a range and rent some and get a feel with what you may like.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

40 is a good caliber. It has a little more snap to it than 9mm or 45 recoils wise which is why some dont like it, But its not much difference and not near a full load 357 recoil wise.

I have owned carried and shot 40 a lot as well as 45 and 357. Not starting a caliber war since this is just my opinion but given one bullet in a handgun to depend and that be all I had it would be 357 125gr jhp 45 jhp and 40 jhp in that order. But again that is just me. 40 does however run right along with the other 2 as SD ammo in my humble opinion.

Distinguished Member
    Well, I don't think anyone will volunteer to be shot with one. And, it is a round that has been used in many police departments. I like my M&P40c and don't have any reservations about carrying it.
    gregnsc likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I wanted to ask here before I spend to much time researching the matter. I think I'll dig some more.

At least with the 40 caliber right now you can find guns and ammo. the 9mm seems to be an elusive little creature right now.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a FNP40, a little snappy but no problem handling it. My wife shoots it better than I do. I am a 40 fan.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

40 is a very effective handgun caliber.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    It sounds like you may be looking at an EMP in .40 cal. I have the 9mm version and it's a sweetie! I too am thinking of getting a .40, but I didn't want to introduce another caliber to my family. However, if I find a Glock in stock at my LGS it could follow me home.

Read this. I found it enlightening.

Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    It sounds like you may be looking at an EMP in .40 cal. I have the 9mm version and it's a sweetie! I too am thinking of getting a .40, but I didn't want to introduce another caliber to my family. However, if I find a Glock in stock at my LGS it could follow me home.
    Nope. Actually I'm looking at either the Beretta 92 (9mm) or 96(.40). That gun just really feels good in my hand. feels almost as good as a revolver to me. The EMP is a sweet gun though.

Thanks that was a interesting read. Took me awhile as the kiddies kept distracting me but the young'ens in bed now so I got a chance to finish it up.

VIP Member
    It's not so much about the .40 round being bad. A lot of people have moved away from it simply because they don't feel that it offers enough superiority over 9mm to give up the extra capacity, plus the round tends to be much snappier, therefore it's harder to control follow ups with.

I will say this from my personal experience. i carried a .40 for a number of years and shot mine quite a bit, but what I found was I could shoot my wife's 9mm, which I never 'practiced' with, almost as well as the gun I practiced with weekly. I did a lot of reading about ballistics and decided to ditch the .40 and I've never regretted it, and my accuracy and follow up shot speed has improved well beyond what I had achieved with my previous carry gun.

All that said, some folks can shoot 'em great, so it definitely boils down to an individual thing.

Here's a good article you should check out.

http://www.imakenews.com/valhalla/e_...2Cbj7QPlVl%2Cw
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

It's like someone stated earlier,a lot of good ones out there.I have a gl23 and a m&p40.Like both.There are other 40s i would love to have,but,i just don't have, that much spare money,lying around.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Read this. I found it enlightening.

Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue

That thread is an absolute monster and very informative...

Get the .40 in XD or Glock. If you don't like it buy a barrel and do a simple swap to 9mm or you can even try .357 Sig. If you find you need more get rid of it and buy a .45

I like the extra snap the .40 provides and the fact that it's still on the 9mm frame.
    smolck likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links