Remington...a good choice?

This is a discussion on Remington...a good choice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everybody. I just had to ask. I just bought a box of Remington .40S&W for my Taurus. They're JHP at 180gr. Is it a ...

Hello everybody. I just had to ask. I just bought a box of Remington .40S&W for my Taurus. They're JHP at 180gr.

Is it a good buy for a fairly new shooter? I usually buy the Winchesters, FMJ at 165gr. But I am getting close to getting my CHL and would like to get to know hollow points at a college budget.
    Last edited by mexican_ninja; October 20th, 2006 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Grammer

never had any problems with remington ammo. all named brand ammo is good.

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

VIP Member
    I've bought the Remington .40 S&W JHP rounds at Wally World (100 rounds/box) and really like 'em...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

nice to know that somebody has already gone through the trial-error process before me.

IMO, only what cycles perfectly in your specific gun is a good choice. Which one is that? I have no idea. Neither will anyone else, really.

I've had good luck with the Remington Golden Sabre JHP +P's in a couple of guns. I'm currently exploring which rounds work best in my new-ish CZ P-01 9mm. So far, the Federal HydraShok Tactical (HST) +P+ has been exceptionally reliable, for me, my shooting style, and this specific gun.

I absolutely do not subscribe to the idea that all ammo from reputable mfrs. is good. Depends on many factors. Slight differences matter, in terms of tolerances, your shooting style, how well-used your firearm is. Data point: Due to (I think) minor differences in the overall length of the CorBon JHP 115gr +P, combined with the bullet shape, my Browning BDM turned into a misfeeding jam-o-matic using this specific CorBon ammo, whereas the Remington Golden Sabre JHP and the Federal HST JHP all work flawlessly in that same gun. Go figure.

YMMV, of course. Don't take anyone's word for it. In a concealed carry firearm, you'll need to prove out the concept via severe range work ... else, all you've got is someone else's recommendation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

okay, I'll be the odd one out

If its just for practice, sure.

While I've never purchased any of their centerfire pistol ammo,
    I have had problems with quality control. I don't want to sound cheap, but when I spend $15 for a box of 20 .30-06, I would like all the bullets to be the same shape. I bought one brick of .22 LR (I think it was golden) and I'm not sure any two of the 500 were loaded the same. I had my first barrel obstruction with remington ammo.

I do buy some of their componets for reloading; because they are so cheap, and I can weed out the irregular.

I'll admit I put a couple of boxes of Rem. 00 buck in the SHTF box,
    Because I've never had any problems with any of their shotgun ammo.

I do think Remington Is a good company and could do better if they wanted to, I'm just not sure why they don't when it comes to ammo.

Just my $.02
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    never had any problems with remington ammo. all named brand ammo is good.
    I agree, all name brand ammo is good, as far as the ammo relaibility, but as others posted some guns don't like certain ammo.

Get a revolver and the problem will be solved. Or keep the auto and test test test and test some more, until you are willing to bet your life on the gun/ammo combo that you choose.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican_ninja View Post
    Hello everybody. I just had to ask. I just bought a box of Remington .40S&W for my Taurus. They're JHP at 180gr.

Is it a good buy for a fairly new shooter? I usually buy the Winchesters, FMJ at 165gr. But I am getting close to getting my CHL and would like to get to know hollow points at a college budget.
    check your owners manual and ballistics charts. Taurus has an upper velocity limit for 180 grain rounds

I use the golden saber 165s in mine, no problems

Links