.357 sig - Page 2

.357 sig

This is a discussion on .357 sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I Carry Federal HST 124 grain for self protection. 147 grain does not offer alot of advantage in the sig round like it does in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .357 sig

I Carry Federal HST 124 grain for self protection. 147 grain does not offer alot of advantage in the sig round like it does in 9MM.
    For practice, shoot whatevers cheapest, american eagle comes to mind for that.
    When I shoot at the indoor range the 357 sig is really loud, it gets attention.
    Heres my barrels I switch out to shoot the round in my M&p's

Yea I love the looks i get when I go to an indoors range and blast off a few 357sig rounds. Priceless!

G32 carries well, no different than a 19 or 23.

I do prefer my 31 though.

Gold Dot LEO ammo for me. I forget the part number. 50 round boxes. Lawman for matches. My favorite round.

Gold dot makes two loads that they market for l.e. a limited penetration round that has less velocity and their standard one. If you see LP after the number on the box then you have the limited penetration rounds. They are both good loads but my XD shoots the Golden Saber Bonded best. I love the lawman FMJ/ CF loads for the range but they are getting harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by SIG_guy View Post
    Gold dot makes two loads that they market for l.e. a limited penetration round that has less velocity and their standard one. If you see LP after the number on the box then you have the limited penetration rounds. They are both good loads but my XD shoots the Golden Saber Bonded best. I love the lawman FMJ/ CF loads for the range but they are getting harder to find.
    The 357 Sig is one of my favorite carry rounds but I have to ask, why would you want a "limited penetration" round??? If you are worried about over penetration, shoot the 9mm in +P. I often carry the 9mm with Ranger +P+. I think it approaches the Sig velocities without the "boom".
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

What's the purpose of having two identical barrels?

Dont know why the LP was marketed for, doesnt really matter to me that much my 357sig shoots best with golden saber bonded, which is what I carry while on patrol. You would be amazed at how clean the cartridge cases are after firing.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    OK! I bite, where did anyone find the Low Pen. .357Sig rounds on the Speer Gold Dot LE pages:

Speer LE Handgun page: Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun

Speer LE GD - Load 53918: Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun Details

Speer LE GD - Load 54234: Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Handgun Details

Neither is described as a Low Pen. load?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Check this link out, it is a little older

SNOTE | 13 | CCI Speer Law Enforcement Ammunition | 29-May-08 - FBO#2376

From what I can see on the web is the 53918 goes 14 inch in ballistic gel where the 54234 produces 16 inch. My last box does show a product code of 53918 LP

Quote Originally Posted by SwordMaster View Post
    What's the purpose of having two identical barrels?
    I own two s&w / m&p pistols chambered in 40 cal, when I want to shoot and my wife wants to shoot in the sig round we each have our own gun and barrel.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIG_guy View Post
    Check this link out, it is a little older

SNOTE | 13 | CCI Speer Law Enforcement Ammunition | 29-May-08 - FBO#2376

From what I can see on the web is the 53918 goes 14 inch in ballistic gel where the 54234 produces 16 inch. My last box does show a product code of 53918 LP
    I just picked up a case of the 54234 from SGAmmo at double the price Gold Dot was a December 2011. At SGAmmo they have either in stock, the 54234 or the 53918 which is $10.00 more. I'm also assuming that the 53918 has a lower muzzle flash.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I think flash woll be nearly the same due to flash suppressents nut the 53918 shows anout 25fps less than the other.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    One is a 5 petal Gold Dot, the other a 6 petal design.

Both would do a world of hurt.

I like the Double Tap 125 gr. Bonded Defense out of a G31 or G32.

Note.. the advertised velocity of 4.5" barrel - 1525fps (your chrono results could differ) but it feels like some real raw power there and you get the 6 petal Gold Dot bullet.

The same firm's 125 gr. FMJ-Match Grade load really scoots along as well.

Still most any defensive load in .357 SIG or even .357 Magnum is a good one.

Hoever, I don't agree that the 147 gr. SIG load doesn't offer any advantages like a 147 9mm.

Early 147s in 9mm were slower and had poor stopping power due to little velocity and resulting expansion.

Better bullet designs have improved this, but how a .357 SIG pushing a 147 at 100 to 200 fps faster would be
    a bad thing, I don't know.

I respect your opinion, but find the 147s very sweet shooting out of the smaller .357 autos like the Glock 33s.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

.357 sig

I have a box of federal hst that I decided to try in my g32, first time ever shooting this gun and I have to say I like this round. I only shot 10 rounds of it due to not being able to find more and wanting it for carry purposes but it felt smooth and had little muzzle flip. I have some gold dots but did not try them this range trip but will on my next. All in all I have no issue other than cost for the .357sig round
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

That is a sweet G32!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links