Is there any "bad" defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on Is there any "bad" defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by smousefam5 Is there any "bad" defensive ammo? Consider the following criteria for "good" defensive carry ammo: Any ammo that won't work in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is there any "bad" defensive ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    Consider the following criteria for "good" defensive carry ammo:

• Any ammo that won't work in your specific carry gun. (After your gun's well broken-in, of course.)
    • Any ammo that won't meet your minimum performance requirements for penetration, expansion.
    • Any ammo that disallows you to effectively engage a moving target repeatedly under stressful conditions.

Pretty much anything that meets those criteria should be good enough to survive with. test your potential carry ammo and see. Everyone's situation is a bit different. Though, starting with any of the top half-dozen loads should be a good place to start.

In the past several defensive carry guns I've had, the DoubleTap JHP (Gold Dot bullet) defensive loads have been my choice (9mm 124gr +P, .380ACP 95gr).
    Hobo_Hunter likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Which would YOU choose and Why?

Corbon 9mm Luger 115gr DPX (Deep Penetrating X-Bullet). This is Barnes' XPB (X Pistol Bullet) solid copper bullet at 1250fps for 399 ft-lbs. This is +P (high pressure) ammo an must be used only in firearms rated for +P ammo.
    CORBON products have earned a distinctive reputation in the industry with our high energy JHP ammunition. Consistent with this standing new DPX line with its deeper penetration to makes it the optimum load for Law Enforcement, civilian use.
    Barnes X Bullet retains 100% of its weight, even after shot through barriers such as clothing and steel. The permanent crush cavity is considerably larger than a typical JHP due to deeper penetration.
    Since its introduction in 1989, the Barnes X-Bullet has been praised by gun writers and professional hunters as the most deadly and reliable hunting bullet available. Designed by Barnes' owner Randy Brooks, the X-Bullet is a solid copper projectile, heat treated for extra toughness. There's no separate jacket and no lead core. The bullet holds together for deep, dependable penetration---every time! A deep forward cavity causes the nose to peel back in four separate, razor-edged petals. Viewed head on, the appearance of these four petals gives the original X-Bullet its name. The X-Bullet out-penetrates other hunting bullets, and has developed a reputation for delivering quick, one-shot kills on a wide variety of game. The XPB opens up into six petals..

Corbon_9mm_DPX_Nam.jpg

OR

CorBon 9MM +P 90gr, 115gr and 125gr

CorBon is the leader in high velocity ammunition, generating maximum performance from every loading. CorBonis proud of this reputation and is willing to put that velocity right on the box. These are real velocities, from real guns - not just test barrels. Every company has to have a niche in the marketplace. Peter Pi, the founder of CorBon, decided that someone had to be the best and built his company around that idea.

The faster a bullet is traveling, the more energy created. Energy developed at the muzzle must be transferred or "dumped" into the target to be effective. Energy transfer is aided by bullet expansion. The higher the velocity, the more rapidly the expansion - the more rapid the expansion, the more effectively the energy is expended in the target. This explosive expansion dumps the available energy quickly, creating tremendous shocking power and causing the perpetrator to cease doing further harm, thus STOPPING POWER. Stopping power means safety.

There continues to be a misconception that a heavier bullet somehow has more energy and that a long deep wound channel is necessary. That may be true in a hunting bullet, but in close quarters combat, the trade of less weight and added velocity is a positive increase in energy. Energy is energy and if effectively transferred into the target - it does not matter whether it is energy from a 9mm or a .45 ACP.

CorBon ammunition is tested against common barriers. When shot through four layers of heavy material, (including leather) the CorBon bullets retain adequate velocity to reliably expand. tests against windshield glass and car doors proved that the high velocity CorBon bullets did not deflect from their intended path and still expanded well into a gelatin medium. Car doors and windshields are no barriers to CorBonhigh velocity ammunition.

Corbon_box_bull_lg.jpg
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I stay away from any defense round that isn't bonded. Anytime the bullet can separate from the jacket is a bad thing.

I stay away from steel cased ammo - Siggy doesn't like it!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

faves:

1 - Hornady Critical Duty
    2 - Winchester PDX1 +P (124)
    3 - Hornady Critical Defense/Zombie Max

Anyone try CorBon 125gr before? only thing left at store right now.

nevermind, corbon is sold out too now

I'm not sure,but,i don't believe a person would survive,if i shot them with my 45 using fmj ammo

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I don't think there's necessarily bad defensive ammo per se, but some is better than others. The newer Gold Dot, Ranger, and HST loads should outperform most of the older defensive ammo, i.e. Silvertip or Hydra-Shok, though the older designs are likely to still be effective, particularly in the larger calibers from full-size handguns.

Virtually all JHPs should outperform FMJ ammo in most situations, and be safer as well, due to the decreased likelihood of overpenetration and the increased wound channel size.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links