Is there any "bad" defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on Is there any "bad" defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read and seen the many brands, styles, and hype surrounding the many specialty defense loads available these days and was looking for input...is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is there any "bad" defensive ammo?

I have read and seen the many brands, styles, and hype surrounding the many specialty defense loads available these days and was looking for input...is any of it really "bad"? I'm not talking about using FMJ practice ammo but the specialty hollow-points. Seems like a center of mass hit with my .40 or .45 with any of them will do the trick. What do you think?
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    I have read and seen the many brands, styles, and hype surrounding the many specialty defense loads available these days and was looking for input...is any of it really "bad"? I'm not talking about using FMJ practice ammo but the specialty hollow-points. Seems like a center of mass hit with my .40 or .45 with any of them will do the trick. What do you think?
    Depends on the trick you are trying to accomplish. If your cm shot explodes his aorta, he may still have forty-five seconds of mayhem in him before he loses consciousness and expires.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I recommend to Every body that asks me what type to buy I suggest my top choices and I also say not to buy certain kinds... the one I always say not to buy is Remington Golden Saber. I have seen and done tests where the bullet breaks apart as more of a fragmentation. It has under penetrated due to this.

Top Choices for me are:
    1) Critical Duty Hornady (I have tested and they preformed well, I also think that the weights of these bullets have been perfected)
    2) Winchester Ranger T-Series (I have tested and am pleased with this as well)
    3) Critical Defense Hornady
    4) Speer Gold Dot
    5) Winchester PDX
    mano3 and killam1357 like this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am a believer of any gun is better than no gun in a gun fight and that would also apply to ammo. Based on gel testing some ammo is better then other ammo but all the results of the gel testing that I have seen proved, IMO, all met their intended use requirements. Again, IMO, any ammo is better then no ammo. I stick with Federal Hydra Shok for all my SD ammo needs.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, unless you're using blanks or shotcaps. Even range FMJ can get the job done. Any caliber/bullet style can succeed (and have); any caliber/bullet style can fail (and have). Not everyone will use SD rounds under the same conditions, and I've never been attacked by a block of gel.

Pick a good name brand that functions reliably and practice putting rounds where you need to. There's not much more you can do.
    USM1976 and varob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I stay away from what I call "unusual ammo" . This is stuff like safety slugs , frangible , DRT etc. they may work great, I have no idea. I don't use it because no Police or Military group I am aware of uses them, so no data on performance.
    Just buy some premium ammo that is by a major producer.

Some posters listed some good ones, I would start there and pick the one that feeds reliably , allows you too shoot well and get back on target quickly. I shoot it all every 6 months or so and replace it with a new box. Ammo does not go bad but the stuff I use has a bit more recoil and it gives me a reason to fire it off and practice with it too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    aus71383 and Cuda66 like this.

The bad defensive ammo is kind that doesn't go bang when the primer is struck.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Bad defense ammo is not having any ammo

I would say Glaser, MagSafe, Extreme Shock, RBCD (or something like that) are "bad" defensive ammo. I'd rather have FMJ.

Instead I use modern hollowpoints. HST, Ranger T, DPX, Gold Dot - stuff like that.

Austin
    mano3 and AS90 like this.

Senior Moderator
    As others have said, I'd stay away from any unusual types and stick with brand name hollow points.

Bit the only really bad ammo is the type that doesn't go boom when you pull the trigger
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Bad defense ammo is not having any ammo
    ^^^

Also - I don't hesitate to use FMJ for defensive ammo.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I think ammo manufacturers create a lot of hype about ammo to make more profit. I don't see anything wrong with them making a profit, I just don't get caught up in the hype. Do I think some bullets are constructed better than others? Sure. Do I think ammo manufacturers will use less powder and call it a self defense load and charge more money for it? Sure. I load, chrono and test my own ammo for the most part. I am still perfectly happy with 158g lead hollow point semi wad cutters for 38. If I don't have any it don't have any laying around it does not bother me to use what ever 125g hollow point I can find. I would much rather have a round that functions flawlessly in my my semi autos than the round that mushrooms pefectly while retianing 100% of its weight but malfunfuntions.
    I think that if you have not planned ahead with your ammo purchases then what ever you can get your hands own is better than the stuff that is out of stock.
    There is no best round and there are plenty that are good enough.
    bmcgilvray and USM1976 like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

From what I understand getting shot is painful regardless of the size of the bullet ( I don't know for sure since I have never been shot. ) so don't stop to see if the crook will falls down, keep shooting until you see him hit the ground and stays there.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

I would not trust any frangible ammo to save my life or the lives of my loved ones.

What I have pretty much figured is find what is reliable and then shoot the heck out the gun with a similar "affordable" load and call it good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links