Difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Zombie 9mm?

This is a discussion on Difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Zombie 9mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the only difference the 135 vs 115 grain weight, the brass/nickel-plated shell, and the +P in the CD? I assume expansion is probably better ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darrow75

Thread: Difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Zombie 9mm?

Is the only difference the 135 vs 115 grain weight, the brass/nickel-plated shell, and the +P in the CD? I assume expansion is probably better on the CD because of the +P?

Also, what's the difference between bonded and non-bonded. Like, the PDX1 by Winchester is "bonded". I know it means the jacket is bonded to the core, but how? Why is jacket separation so bad?

I believe zombie max is a duplicate of the CD with the extra testing the CD gets to make sure it performs. I thought about buying it myself because my son loves zombie stuff. Decided not worth the chance and bought Hornadays Critical Duty which is also different than the defense. Duty meets FBI protocol.

The 135 is a different bullet entirely from what I can tell.

As for the difference between these two
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 9mm Luger :: 9mm Luger 115 gr FTX® Critical Defense®
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 9mm Luger :: 9mm Luger 115 gr Z-MAX™

It looks like the difference is the plating on the brass, the color of the polymer in the tip, 5 fps, and about $4 per box.

Bonded is good because you don't want the jacket to separate - jacket separation is bad because when you lose the jacket you lose weight, and less weight means less penetration. It's bonded using "science" - that's how! :embarrassed:

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    I believe zombie max is a duplicate of the CD with the extra testing the CD gets to make sure it performs. I thought about buying it myself because my son loves zombie stuff. Decided not worth the chance and bought Hornadays Critical Duty which is also different than the defense. Duty meets FBI protocol.
    well zombie isn't +P and is lighter. but i'd still trust it. it's also very affordable!

Do you ever watch tnoutdoors9 on youtube? he does awesome gel tests of all sorts of brands, calibers, and types. he tested the zombie .45 i know, but i dont think 9mm. he does test the CD 9mm and it gets a great review! comes in over marked velocity and penetrated about 17 inches with perfect expansion.

TNOUTDOORS9 Guns & Ammo Reviews - YouTube

just search his station with the caliber or the brand you're interested in looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The 135 is a different bullet entirely from what I can tell.

As for the difference between these two
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 9mm Luger :: 9mm Luger 115 gr FTX® Critical Defense®
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 9mm Luger :: 9mm Luger 115 gr Z-MAX™

It looks like the difference is the plating on the brass, the color of the polymer in the tip, 5 fps, and about $4 per box.

Bonded is good because you don't want the jacket to separate - jacket separation is bad because when you lose the jacket you lose weight, and less weight means less penetration. It's bonded using "science" - that's how! :embarrassed:

Austin
    ok. i didn't know there was a 115 gr CD. i just thought it was 135...135 is such an odd weight for 9mm, but i like it!

I bought some of the zombie stuff for sentimental value, it will probably be a cool keepsake in about 20 years

oh u know what. i think i was referring to the critical duty rounds. not the critical defense.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    I bought some of the zombie stuff for sentimental value, it will probably be a cool keepsake in about 20 years
    if you don't encounter zombies by then! i think it is a good defensive load to have if you don't wanna spend much money though. it's hornady quality for about 17/box (at least by me)

nice the critical duty has the red primer sealant around it too.

Does Hornady offer the Critical Defense in 9mm +P?

Well, one is for zombies and the other is for when your defense is critical...
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    Does Hornady offer the Critical Defense in 9mm +P?
    I don't think so. I think the CDefense is for CC and smaller pistols so they make them standard loads to keep from too much muzzle flip.

Just a thought...

In the event that you had to defend yourself with your carry gun and then had to defend your actions in court, I could see the use of "zombie" ammo decreasing your credibility with the jury. Especially after the prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney spins it.

Re: Difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Zombie 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by cf18 View Post
    Just a thought...

In the event that you had to defend yourself with your carry gun and then had to defend your actions in court, I could see the use of "zombie" ammo decreasing your credibility with the jury. Especially after the prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney spins it.
    People always assume this scenario, the ammo is not going to come into play, especially if its a clean shoot...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Links