In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers? - Page 2

In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers?

This is a discussion on In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No... thanks for asking though....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers?

Distinguished Member
    No... thanks for asking though.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    I knew people would try to turn this into the "I'm not going to comply. Cold dead hands blah blah blah" discussion. But that's not the question. Whether you'd turn in an evil black rifle or get rid of a 33 round Glock mag isn't the issue. When you're out and about I'd guess most would seek to remain within the legal parameters just to eliminate needless heartache when you had to use your blaster and ended up in a federal prison because your Glock had 17 rounds in the magazine. I'd assume everything we have would be grandfathered under a federal ban, but there's a chance it wouldn't.

In honesty the 1911 benefited from the 1994 ban. An argument of 17 9mm vs. 8 45ACP is much more difficult for the 45 to win than a 10 vs. 8 discussion. Not that it is the only reason the 1911 is still popular, but it helped. I'd assume we'd see the same things again. If it did become a crime to carry my pistol concealed with a standard capacity magazine I would change to a 45. If I can't have more rounds I may as well have more round per shot. My 1911 still wouldn't be my carry piece though. The Glock 30 would become my new carry piece.
    Hobo_Hunter and Alarm Guy like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

So basically, they just turn millions of semi-autos into boat anchors and wipe out the hundreds and thousands of dollars most of us have invested. Demand for a full sized G17 and similar would certainly drop. Most guns of that size don't even have a less than 10 rd option. Like everything they do, its calculated. I'll have to be a concientious objector on that one.

.45 her I come. 1911 as soon as possible.

After the 1994 ban all but killed the "wonder 9" trend, 7-10rd larger-caliber alternatives became much more popular.

I don't see that it would be much different if the same unconstitutional banning were to stand this time around.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    1911 would definitely become an addition

No, I have found that when carrying concealed as I do with a IWB holster it’s not the length of the barrel you have to compromise with but the length of the grip. Concealed carry IS a compromise. A sidearm with a high capacity magazine will just not cut it when you want to be inconspicious.
    bigwill72 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I knew people would try to turn this into the "I'm not going to comply. Cold dead hands blah blah blah" discussion. But that's not the question. Whether you'd turn in an evil black rifle or get rid of a 33 round Glock mag isn't the issue. When you're out and about I'd guess most would seek to remain within the legal parameters just to eliminate needless heartache when you had to use your blaster and ended up in a federal prison because your Glock had 17 rounds in the magazine. I'd assume everything we have would be grandfathered under a federal ban, but there's a chance it wouldn't.

In honesty the 1911 benefited from the 1994 ban. An argument of 17 9mm vs. 8 45ACP is much more difficult for the 45 to win than a 10 vs. 8 discussion. Not that it is the only reason the 1911 is still popular, but it helped. I'd assume we'd see the same things again. If it did become a crime to carry my pistol concealed with a standard capacity magazine I would change to a 45. If I can't have more rounds I may as well have more round per shot. My 1911 still wouldn't be my carry piece though. The Glock 30 would become my new carry piece.
    My nines have never been a compromise from larger, more powerful rounds, so I won't bail on them if I have to reduce their capacities. Recoil, follow-through and follow-up shots are still viable considerations for me.
    Hobo_Hunter and JD like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I'm not changing crap!

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyatOBX View Post
    No, I have found that when carrying concealed as I do with a IWB holster itís not the length of the barrel you have to compromise with but the length of the grip. Concealed carry IS a compromise. A sidearm with a high capacity magazine will just not cut it when you want to be inconspicious.
    I have to disagree. I carry a Sig P229 with a 17 round magazine IWB and it conceals well.

But if we get limited in mag size then I'll revisit the .45 issue.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I have a flintlock pistol on order. It's only a 7-shot pistol so it is NY compliant too!

flintlock-pepperbox.jpg

OH wait...those were a salt weapons in 1787? So is it now non-compliant within NY's ban too?

No.

But then, I already usually carry a single stack .45.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I have a flintlock pistol on order. It's only a 7-shot pistol so it is NY compliant too!

flintlock-pepperbox.jpg

OH wait...those were a salt weapons in 1787? So is it now non-compliant within NY's ban too?
    No, that was not a salt weapon - It was a pepper box.

Regards,
    Jim

In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers?
    No. I'll stick with 9mm. Same as I did during the last ban.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    My carry guns wouldn't be effected...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links