In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers? - Page 3

In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers?

This is a discussion on In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would carry more magazines or carry two guns....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers?

I would carry more magazines or carry two guns.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

My EDC has a 9 round mag now so I won't have to change, Been looking a a 1911 Comander size anyway.

Great question! My SR9c has a 10 round mag in it right now. But I will still keep the three 17 rnd mags for it also. My 620 holds seven 357 rounds but is way to heavy for daily carry. My Kimber Pro Carry is only 28 oz unloaded and would give me 8 rnds and easy carry!! My new H&K USP 9mm would stay at home I guess? What a nightmare this president is!
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

That's funny, I've been thinking about getting a Glock 21 so I can have MORE than 10 rounds...not lower my capacity...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I carry a Colt Commander, so it wouldn't affect me for my EDC, but I would have to invest in smaller mags for my other guns for range use.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I think back to the shotgun magazine 3 round limit while hunting that was in place when i was a kid in Ms. Most shotguns were sold with a wooden dowel magazine plug to limit magazine capacity to 3 rounds.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

In the event of a "high-capacity" magazine ban, would you switch calibers?

I have been wondering about this for awhile. As well as does your recommendation for new carriers change? These would be people that don't have existing high capacity mags.

I changed my EDC gun to the S&W Shield .40 from the Glock 19 a month ago. I did this because I absolutely love the Shield. This had nothing to do with the possibility of a ban but the move is looking better and better.

VIP Member
    Mike, I didn't mean to infer that everyone that is carrying a 9 is doing so in a compromise. There are some that pick it because it is easier to shoot. Some pick it because it is lighter than other calibers. Some pick it because Vanilla Ice talked about it in a song 20 years ago. In reality, I don't care what anyone uses- if they're happy with it I support their decision.

I was merely looking at how many people view the discussion, myself included. Few would argue that smaller holes are more effective than large ones. Few would argue that you could have too many rounds when getting in a gun fight. But we have to examine the situation and weigh our needs and desires and determine what's best for us. Right now I am carrying a 40 because I have much better capacity than 9 and a round that I'm happy with. However I've done the 9 in the past and I am thinking very seriously about going from a Glock 23 to an RMRed 19. (And assume they won't limit my duty gun to lower capacity! You never can tell about the nice people in DC!) But if things changed to limit me to 10 rounds the RMR would find a home on a Glock 30 because if I cannot have more rounds I want bigger rounds. That's just me and I respect anyone's decision to make a different choice for themselves. Heck I'll even help people shop for the magazines if it gives me an excuse to go to the LGS or a gun show.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have never depended solely on "high capacity" magazines. I do have some of course, to go along with my Glocks. However sometimes I carry one of my 1911's, or even a revolver. The best thing you can do is be proficient in all aspects of the use of whatever you carry, including keeping it stoked. You don't necessarily need the latest and greatest "high cap" magazines.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Mike, I didn't mean to infer that everyone that is carrying a 9 is doing so in a compromise. There are some that pick it because it is easier to shoot. Some pick it because it is lighter than other calibers. Some pick it because Vanilla Ice talked about it in a song 20 years ago. In reality, I don't care what anyone uses- if they're happy with it I support their decision.

I was merely looking at how many people view the discussion, myself included. Few would argue that smaller holes are more effective than large ones. Few would argue that you could have too many rounds when getting in a gun fight. But we have to examine the situation and weigh our needs and desires and determine what's best for us. Right now I am carrying a 40 because I have much better capacity than 9 and a round that I'm happy with. However I've done the 9 in the past and I am thinking very seriously about going from a Glock 23 to an RMRed 19. (And assume they won't limit my duty gun to lower capacity! You never can tell about the nice people in DC!) But if things changed to limit me to 10 rounds the RMR would find a home on a Glock 30 because if I cannot have more rounds I want bigger rounds. That's just me and I respect anyone's decision to make a different choice for themselves. Heck I'll even help people shop for the magazines if it gives me an excuse to go to the LGS or a gun show.
    No worries. I wasn't taking exception to any points you made or questions you asked, just objectively responding.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Mag ban or weapons ban...don't see it passing...carry on..
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

i still want to carry 9. but a question i have is will the ban obama signed grandfather in pistol mags over 10 or are they going to force you to get rid of them like NY is doing.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

JLI
    No. No change. I'm new to some of these larger calibers so maybe I'm making a stupid assumption... I just figured that the gun manufacturers would make and sell smaller capacity magazines to accommodate the new "law". For example, our current Sig has a 13 round mag. Wouldn't Sig just come out with a 10 round mag for it? I'm not for having to spend more money to modify a gun that works perfectly fine, but I just assumed that would be the best way to handle it if they did end up banning them (which I highly doubt they will).

VIP Member
    As long as mag capacity isn't brought below 10 I'll be OK. Two of mine will soon be illegal in NY.
    I favor a mag capacity higher than 10 but don't have a specific number in mind.

I thought the 13 round capacity on a Sig 229 I rented was about right.

We'll see a lot of experimenting by the states on this issue if there is no national limit set, and I don't think
    there will be. This will add more confusion for travelers.

I know few here will agree with me but as interstate travel is something I do, I want as much uniformity and reciprocity as can be obtained, and I'm willing to have some horse trading to get it.

I'm afraid an uncompromising minority of a minority will keep fighting to keep compromise off the table until
    everything is lost. Sometimes when you want it all you get nothing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links