40S&W FlexLock Critical Duty question

This is a discussion on 40S&W FlexLock Critical Duty question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had any range experience with the new Hornady 40S&W 175gr FlexLock Critical Duty ammunition thatís being so heavily advertized? The test results look ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ljutic

Thread: 40S&W FlexLock Critical Duty question

40S&W FlexLock Critical Duty question

Has anyone had any range experience with the new Hornady 40S&W 175gr FlexLock Critical Duty ammunition thatís being so heavily advertized? The test results look good but what about group sizes? Reliable feeding in your .40 (I carry a M&P40c)? Did the point of impact shift dramatically from your regular ammo? If anyone has have practical experience I would like to here your comments. Thank you

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatOBX View Post
    Has anyone had any range experience with the new Hornady 40S&W 175gr FlexLock Critical Duty ammunition thatís being so heavily advertized? The test results look good but what about group sizes? Reliable feeding in your .40 (I carry a M&P40c)? Did the point of impact shift dramatically from your regular ammo? If anyone has have practical experience I would like to here your comments. Thank you
    Yes

Gun: M&P 40c

Experience: Horrible.

What happened?

Well after watching Tnoutdoors test of the 175gr CD round, I was very excited to purchased two 50rd boxes and waited for it to arrive at my door. Once it arrived I opened up the package and looked at the colorful box of CD and went to the range.

I threw one box in the car and headed for the range. Once I was at the range I loaded up my mags and experienced a failure to feed every other round and sometimes back to back after clearing the initial jam. A few

HST, Ranger T, Winchester Q4369, Underwood 135/155/180gr, and Golden Saber all fed with no problems what so ever but the CD was horrible. Perhaps its due to its rubber tip getting caught up on the ramp of the barrel.

A few weeks later I finished off the second box and that was that. No more CD for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Yes

Gun: M&P 40c

Experience: Horrible.

What happened?

Well after watching Tnoutdoors test of the 175gr CD round, I was very excited to purchased two 50rd boxes and waited for it to arrive at my door. Once it arrived I opened up the package and looked at the colorful box of CD and went to the range.

I threw one box in the car and headed for the range. Once I was at the range I loaded up my mags and experienced a failure to feed every other round and sometimes back to back after clearing the initial jam. A few

HST, Ranger T, Winchester Q4369, Underwood 135/155/180gr, and Golden Saber all fed with no problems what so ever but the CD was horrible. Perhaps its due to its rubber tip getting caught up on the ramp of the barrel.

A few weeks later I finished off the second box and that was that. No more CD for me.
    Interesting. Never had feed issues of any of the CD line from my 1911's, M&P's or Glocks. As for the bullet itself, I think their are better offerings in the Gold Dot and HST line.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, ďWhat kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?Ē He replied: ďA republic, if you can keep it.Ē

Different gun my 40 is a Springfield XD 40 subcompact, same feed issues one out of every three jammed. Managed to fire a whole box of 50 here are two other things I noticed, the roumds that jammed were signficantly shorter than others, excessive flash even during day fire, and unburnt powder in the case and barrel.

I tested it last year and reviewed it on the blog. Pocket Guns and Gear: Hornady Critical Duty 40 S&W 175 Grain FlexLock Terminal test

It is now my go to ammo in the PM40 because it feeds reliably and HST will not.
    RandyatOBX likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Links