Winchester ranger "bonded" 147gr. HP

This is a discussion on Winchester ranger "bonded" 147gr. HP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up 2 boxes of these winchester 147gr bonded hps. Couldnt find SXT or t-series. But figured be better than some critical defense 115gr zombie ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIG_guy

Thread: Winchester ranger "bonded" 147gr. HP

Winchester ranger "bonded" 147gr. HP

Picked up 2 boxes of these winchester 147gr bonded hps. Couldnt find SXT or t-series. But figured be better than some critical defense 115gr zombie max i had. Hear the FBI and other agencies use them. Anyone here use them?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Actually you got the best of the group you named. The bonded HP rounds from Win have superior penetration, by a considerable margin in gel tests, and nearly similar expansion. Look at the youtube vids with ballistic gel tests on them.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

So what exactly is the difference between that box and a box of PDX 1 (Q4369 if its in white box).

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    So what exactly is the difference between that box and a box of PDX 1 (Q4369 if its in white box).
    Nothing except winchester markets 20 round boxes of PDX1 to civilian and the 50 round gold box to law enforcement. It isn't a law that says civilians cannot buy the 50 round box. It's just Winchester's rules. Once it leaves their warehouse they have no control over who buys it and like I said, there is no law against you buying the 50 round box from someplace.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Not sure if this test is the bonded version or not. Older test, take from it what you will. I think they'll do just fine.

As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Taken from here: http://winchesterle.com/SiteCollecti...20Protocol.pdf

The RA9B (aka: PDX1) does pretty good and seems remarkably consistent-

Bare Gelatin: 0.62”/146 gr/995fps = 14.7”

IWBA Denim: 0.59”/146 gr/995fps = 16.5”

Heavy Cloth: 0.58”/146 gr/995fps = 15.8”
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

You got the best of the three, especially if you have the chance of shooting through a barrier of any type. One agency who uses this round in the white box variety is Department of the Army Civilian Police they changed from ball to this round after the Ft. Hood shooting.
    GlassWolf likes this.

Well good to know i bought some good ones haha. Guy i know has alot of these boxes. Guess ill get more

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The bonded is the next generation up from the T-series, which was the next gen up from the SXT series, up from the Black Talon. These are (from what I've seen) the bullets that are at the top of the FBI and other agency's spec lists.

I'm waiting on delivery of a full case from a custom goverment order overrun, which happens to be +P, from good ol' SGAmmo. They blew through their last 130 or so cases in a matter of a couple hours.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Cool. Will be my carry round for sure then

Yeah, Rangers are good stuff. I have a bunch. IMO Gold Dots and HST are just as good, but nothing is better than any of those three.

I have same ranger 124 grain +p in my G19 for my sd rounds right now. And just ordered some bonded 230 grain for my 45. It's some high quality stuff!

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The Q4369 is a special lot loaded for a government contract. I have not seen any information as to whether or not it duplicates or performs better or worse than the standard RA9B load. The bullet is the same, but the load is made to the ordering agency's specificiations, so it may not be ballistically identical.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Knew someone would say it...the difference is brass cased for the white box nickel cases for the ranger. I have a couple boxes of each and over my chrony the max devation is 58fps with a average of 8fps. Brass cased government contract more rounds can be bought with less tax payer dollars.

The ammo you got is very good, RA9B is a very good round and is used by the DOJ and many other agencies like the FBI. It is my current carry ammo/SHTF stash. I have government contract overrun, product code Q4364. I heard through the grapevine it is loaded to +P pressures, despite not being headstamped so.

I was also told that RA9B does NOT use the PDX1 bullet, however the Q4364 ammunition does. ZRA9B apparently is lots that have been scrapped due to cosmetic defects. I just bought half a case of Q4364 and have been carrying it for awhile so have been researching this round. Hard to find info on.

Here are the specs, per Winchester.

http://winchesterle.com/Products/han...ages/ra9b.aspx

Links