Lower recoil 40 load ideas

This is a discussion on Lower recoil 40 load ideas within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I know. I already have the 22 to use I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas I could try. I'm wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lower recoil 40 load ideas

Lower recoil 40 load ideas

I know I know. I already have the 22 to use I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas I could try. I'm wondering what you would recommend as a lighter recoiling load in a Glock 23? I'm new to the forty so I'm not as familiar with all the different loads available. I'm thinking for when I take some friends to the range and was wondering if there is any factory loads that are more pleasant to shoot. My friends are not wimps as they shoot a 357 with no problems. The other hard part will be finding anything as most of the shelves around here are pretty bare.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Mark

2. Remove Ads

There are no "low recoil" .40 loads from the factory that I know of. The normal stuff is pretty tame compared to a .357

If you reload the options are limitless - you can make loads as light as you want.

As far as finding any .40 in stock - if you can't find it locally, there is plenty available online.

Good luck,

Austin
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Agree if your friends have no problem with 357 a 40 should be no problem for them.

I find the recoil noticably different with a 180 grain bullet when compared to a 160 grain bullet, not quite so much muzzel flip. I think the energy of the recoil between .357 and 40 cal is similar but the 40 is "snappier" with more muzzle flip and getting back on target is a bit slower for me. I have 12,000 rounds of .40 cal, I'm hopeing to tame the beast. Untill then I carry the 9mm

Good to know. In general would you say that the heavier bullets tend to "push" while the lighter tend to "snap" when it comes to recoil? I think that precevied lighter recoil would help with one in particular. Hope to be reloading when my dad and get his press up and running.
    12,000 rounds is more than a lot of the local gun shops have on hand! Nice!!

Thanks again
    Mark

Snap vs. push - I don't know. Things with moving parts are more likely to have a "snap" feelings to them. You can do a lot of tinkering with changing out recoil springs ad such to mitigate this if you really want to. With heavy revolver loads I notice more of a "crack" feeling in my wrist bones with maxed out heavy(320 grain WFNGC @ 1300 fps) 44 magnums, and more of a jerking/pushing/twist with heavier but slower .45 Colt (360 grain WFNGC @ 1000 fps). So - with heavy loads in powerful guns, I notice a difference between the guns. But with .40 - I can't tell.

If you get something subsonic, it will be noticeably quieter. A lot of flinch comes from the sound. I'd go with 180 FMJs for this reason if you are worried about it.

As for perceived differences in recoil - hard to quantify. I bet someone has done tests that measure the actual recoil forces and the time it takes for them to happen - I haven't.

Soft ear plugs (put in properly) plus ear muffs, and start with a .22LR if possible....

Austin

180's recoil less in my hands.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_wi View Post
    Good to know. In general would you say that the heavier bullets tend to "push" while the lighter tend to "snap" when it comes to recoil? I think that precevied lighter recoil would help with one in particular. Hope to be reloading when my dad and get his press up and running.
    12,000 rounds is more than a lot of the local gun shops have on hand! Nice!!

Thanks again
    Mark
    I'd say that all .40s are "snappy". It's just the nature of that round. The heavier the bullet, the less felt "snap" you should have though. Just avoid the 135/155 stuff, it should be the least tame. If you can fine 180s, then give those a try.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

This doesn't solve your problem fast but, I have a No generation (early Model) Glock 40 that is ported, I have been shooting mostly 40's I have a few and the ported one is a joy to shoot and the small ladies in my family have even started shooting it insted of there 380's. Good luck happy shooting

I would agree that 180's feel smoother and less "snappy" than 165gr in my M&P compact......as recently as last weekend.

With 180gr I just feel a good solid kick - and I can get back on target relatively quick. With 165's I actually feel the muzzle rise more and I have to concentrate much harder on reacquiring the front sight.

if you reload pm me and i will give you a lite 40 s&w load that works well in the glock 23 and 27. it all so works well in the kel tec p40 and s&w sigma. very low recoil, works the gun, and has groups good. chrono data goes along with the load. i have found many mango seasons ago that if i load them lite i get more fun time at the range and a few more rounds from the powder. less wear and tear on this old body.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Just buy one of those 9mm conversion barrels for the 23 and some 19 mags. Though, I find all the talk about a .40 being too harsh with regards to recoil is not much more than forum fodder. To me, a 9mm with +P defensive ammo is the same as a .40 S&W with 165gr loads.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Although I think the ammo I pictured here is not that great for SD, It is advertised as Low Recoil.
    Look at the writing on the top left corner of the box. If its true or not or just advertising I can't tell you.
    The box shown is 9MM, however this line of Federal all say Low Recoil.

Heres an ad for it.
    Federal Premium Personal Defense Low Recoil.40S&W 135 Grain EFMJ 20 rounds - 148330, 9mm Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

Federal® Premium® Personal Defense Low Recoil.40S&W 135 Grain EFMJ 20 rounds

I shoot 200 GR at 165 PF for competetion and they are mid to mild. The "Social Ammo" I have is much above that as it is a lighter bullet going faster thru the barrel. This will also make your gun shoot low on the target if it is sighted for a heavier bullet going slower. I only shoot 40S&W in competetion with the 200GR bullet. I carry 9MM Ranger T's +P+ for EDC.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    low recoil .40S&W loads are called 9x19mm
    BurgerBoy and Fisher10 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links