Reloading and new laws in NY

This is a discussion on Reloading and new laws in NY within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a serious question about reloading and our lovely new ammo background check law. If we have to go through such red tape ...

Thread: Reloading and new laws in NY

So I have a serious question about reloading and our lovely new ammo background check law. If we have to go through such red tape to buy ammo what about all of the materials to make your own?

How does it normally work? Are there any regulations / restrictions on buying what you need to reload?

I just thought about this as maybe a way around the new poorly written law. My only issue is the actual purchase of the stuff though since internet sales are now gonna be a hassle at best as I understand it (but I'm still going through it).

Mods I just noticed the reloading section. My apologies. Please move this if need be.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Good question, I'd be interested in seeing more information about reloading in NY and other gun unfriendly states. Another question I have has to do with quantities of ammo on hand. As I understand it, Mass. has new restrictions on that. So if you are reloading can you load more than a certain amount at one time? Not that anyone will pay much attention to that, but it could lead to problems.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What does your infamous state's law say about reloading ammo and buying components? There are no such restrictions on reloading in FL other than this:

790.31 Armor-piercing or exploding ammunition or dragon’s breath shotgun shells, bolo shells, or flechette shells prohibited.—
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Re: Reloading and new laws in NY

I know certain rounds you can't be in possession of. I'm more concerned about the new law and background checks for ammo. I'm assuming individual components for bought for reloading won't require it but I'm not sure. I don't reload yet so I'm reaching out to those who do in hopes to get the correct info based on normal states per se.

I wonder when somebody will get the idea to set up a ammo wholesale store off an interstate or highway 5 or 6 miles from the boarder of NY In PA or VT. They could make a lot of money and they probably wouldn't have to jack their prices up with all the business they would get. Selling bulk Ammo and Reloading supplies to NY'ers so they don't have to go through the hassle of going through a background check to purchase ammo.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The process of reloading is fairly simple. I go one step further and cast my own bullets. So the only things I buy are primers and powder. Using a Lee kit and a Lee bullet mold You can be set up for less than $300. Much less if you are like me and make your own tools. I use a camp stove, cast iron skillet, and soup ladle to melt and pour the lead into bullet molds. Ive even ordered a buckshot mold, so That I can make my own. I get wheel weights from a buss garage, and lead flashings from my roofer friends. You can also use plumbing lead, if you know a plumbers. DR

Re: Reloading and new laws in NY

And no hoops to go through to buy the stuff? No regulations I mean?

Pure lead is too soft for making bullets,but wheel weights have enough antimony in them to make them about right for casting bullets
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Pure lead is too soft for making bullets,but wheel weights have enough antimony in them to make them about right for casting bullets
    If I had pure lead Ill find a way to add antimony! DR

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Although apparently there is a move away from lead in wheel weights, according to some bullet casting I've come across recently. Caveat emptor.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Although apparently there is a move away from lead in wheel weights, according to some bullet casting I've come across recently. Caveat emptor.
    That is true, But I also use lead from Reclaimed bullets, plumbing lead, roof flashing's, boat ballast, etc. The only lead Ive refused is old battery's. DR

Links