Defense Ammo for Compact 1911?? - Page 2

Defense Ammo for Compact 1911??

This is a discussion on Defense Ammo for Compact 1911?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SmokinFool Federal HST or Gold Dot 230 gr short barrel. The wide mouth of the HST may hang up on the feed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Defense Ammo for Compact 1911??

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Federal HST or Gold Dot 230 gr short barrel. The wide mouth of the HST may hang up on the feed ramp of some sub-compact 1911's but they feed reliably in my Kimber Ultra CDP.
    Thanks all for the input. Although I haven't had FTF issues I am concerened about it w/ the Defender, hence the curiosity what others are using sucessfully in 3" 1911's. I beleive the new springs will take care of the FTB and I dont want to introduce a new problem.

I think I'll start with the narrower opening HP's and see how she cycles.

Thanks again!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Ok, I'll be different. I run Cor-Bon DPX 185 +P Hollow Points in all of my Kimbers. My EDC is a Kimber UCII and it feeds them perfectly. No FTF's or FTB's once the gun has gone through proper break-in.

I have used solid copper slugs in my deer gun and seen what the results are ... they are devestating!
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I love the 45; IMHO it's the best handgun defense round out there. Your reliability issues are exactly why I will never again carry a compact 45. ramp feeding issues and ejection issues with the shorter action stroke just make these pistols more unreliable. The 45 acp and the 1911 were designed together to work together. Every attempt to shorten this pistol has required compromises in the way the round is presented and ejected. If you have to go shorter then stay with something like a 9mm. Yes there are good compact 45's out there in the $3000 + range but just a bit of wear or dirt on the feed ramp and all you have is a $3000 rock tho throw at the BG.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Hopefully there are no dumb questions here but what is the difference between failure to feed and failure to battery?

As to the OP's question I have been running plain old Winchester JHP's through my Kimber Ultra Eclipse. I had some FTE problems with it when I first purchased it used.
    Replaced the extractor and bought a box of the Winchester's at Walmart seemed the most economical way to test it. Has run flawlessly so I have just stuck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    Hopefully there are no dumb questions here but what is the difference between failure to feed and failure to battery?
    With a failure to feed, the round never gets fully into the chamber. It may end up stuck on the feed ramp, bullet wedged on the top of the chamber, or even pointing straight up in the ejection port.

Failure to battery or failure to return to battery happens when the round makes it into the chamber, but the slide does not move all the way forward to complete the loading cycle. Usually caused by bullets that are seated too long for a particular barrel and the bullet ends up engaging the barrel rifling before the cartridge case has fully entered the chamber. Kahr 45's and Hornady factory loads are notoriously incompatible for the failure to return to battery problem.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

You may way to visit the Wilson Combat site as they're got some pretty good video on their short-barrel .45 ammo.

Thanks Ljutic. I guess I have never experienced a failure to battery so had not occurred to me that could happen.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I had a couple of different 3'' compact 1911's
    Here is the average velocity for 5 shots with select factory loads:
    Remington 230 JHP @ 774 fps / 306# KE
    Federal Hydra Shok 230 @ 775 fps / 306# KE
    Winchester Ranger T 230 @ 814 fps / 338# KE

Hornady 185 XTP @ 818 fps / 275# KE

If it was me, I would not be comfortable with a pistol that previously had "issues" until I had run at least 100 flawless rounds of ball and another 100 of the ammo I was going to carry.
    I do not like buying ammo in little 20 round boxes.
    If I didn't have Ranger T or HST and couldn't acquire it online, then I would be comfortable using a "regular" 230 JHP like Remington/UMC or Winchester white box, especially in 45 caliber.

Given that the springs in a 45 are likely optimized for the standard 230 gr. weight, I think standard 230 gr might offer the greatest likelihood of reliability.

Pistols can be ammo picky:
    I have a DW Valor that is not reliable with my 185 gr. XTP handload; the Valor will sometimes not go fully into battery with that particular bullet, irritating random thing (yes, I've relaced the springs). However, using any 230 gr. HP I've tried the DW will work just fine, apparently it doesn't like my 185 XTP HP.
    My Glock 30 SF is just the opposite. It would jam the next to last round (using the 10 round magazines) nose up when I used Ranger T 230, but the same magazines would feed my 185 XTP flawlessly. I didn't care for the pinky pinch from the 10 round magazine, so I use a flush fitting 9 round. The 9 round magazine worked with the 230 gr. Ranger T but without room for my pinky recoil was a problem, that load has a power factor of 201. My 185 gr handload produces a much more controlable PF of 179. The 30 SF has now run at least 200 flawless rounds of that 185 gr. bullet, so that's what it gets.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

any of the regular loads should cycle a Defender without problems. If it doesn't, something is wrong. Have you fired it much? An extractor that is out of adjustment will cause those problems, of returning to battery. Has the slide been dropped on a round already in the chamber possibly--that will mess up an extractor really fast.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Defense Ammo for Compact 1911??

Federal HST is what I use in my Ultra Carry II, and all carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    any of the regular loads should cycle a Defender without problems. If it doesn't, something is wrong. Have you fired it much? An extractor that is out of adjustment will cause those problems, of returning to battery. Has the slide been dropped on a round already in the chamber possibly--that will mess up an extractor really fast.
    I got the gun used in 2005 and I persoanlly dont have a lot of rounds through it. It was in the safe a for a few years when I wasnt carrying it. I have no idea how many rounds the previous owner put through it. I dont recall the slide ever being dropped on a chabered round since I've owned it. If the issue persist, the extractor is certainly sometning to look at...by a qualified gunsmith of course...

MY New Agent has digested 230 HST, 230 and 230+P Ranger-T, 230 and 200+P Gold Dot, and 200+P and 230 +P Hornady TAP with no issues. Currently loaded with 230+p Ranger-T.

The only round it hasn't run reliably is the 185gr Barnes TAC-X.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Really like the 200gr Gold Dot in short barreled .45's. When you drop below that IMO, you should just buy a .40cal and shoot 180gr rounds.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I love the 45; IMHO it's the best handgun defense round out there. Your reliability issues are exactly why I will never again carry a compact 45. ramp feeding issues and ejection issues with the shorter action stroke just make these pistols more unreliable. The 45 acp and the 1911 were designed together to work together. Every attempt to shorten this pistol has required compromises in the way the round is presented and ejected. If you have to go shorter then stay with something like a 9mm. Yes there are good compact 45's out there in the $3000 + range but just a bit of wear or dirt on the feed ramp and all you have is a $3000 rock tho throw at the BG.
    Have to disagree with you here. You don't need to spend $3000 to get a reliable compact 1911. My Kimber Ultra CDP is proof of that. I have never had any functioning problems with it whatsoever, and I am not alone. Many posters here on the forum have had the same positive experience with sub-compact 1911's. I certainly agree that some sub-compacts do indeed have problems, but you don't need to spend big bucks to increase your chances of getting a reliable specimen.

I have to say that milspec ball ammo has been doing the job for a lot of years. That doesnt mean that all the hitech goodies arent better only that from my experience its the shooters ability to keep his cool, put his rounds on target and follow through with repeat rounds as needed matters more than the type of ammo used.. BTJMO, I do carry Hydro Shocks most of the time.

DamYanky lll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links