Defense Ammo for Compact 1911?? - Page 3

Defense Ammo for Compact 1911??

This is a discussion on Defense Ammo for Compact 1911?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am going to take a different road here. what about the good old 230 fmj ammo that has been used for many mango season. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Defense Ammo for Compact 1911??

i am going to take a different road here. what about the good old 230 fmj ammo that has been used for many mango season. it has been proven to work. works in all types of 1911a1, no matter the shape and condition. hard to beat what has worked before.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i am going to take a different road here. what about the good old 230 fmj ammo that has been used for many mango season. it has been proven to work. works in all types of 1911a1, no matter the shape and condition. hard to beat what has worked before.
    FMJ's would take care of my concerns about feed issues I'm sure, and I also believe they would stop a threat. I used to carry FMJ's but became concerned about the penetration. I would hate to penetrate an interior wall into an undesired location should I have to deter a threat inside the house ...
    ďAn armed society is a polite society..." ― Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." - Unknown

Winchester T series, or FMJ from Federal, in the 230gr non +p dose.

Do not carry FMJs. That is a weak solution and I think it is poor participation to suggest so. I would like to know if those suggesting it really use it for themselves. Likely not.

...at very least EFMJ (ie: Guard Dog) or Corbon PowerBall can and should be used.

Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    Do not carry FMJs. That is a weak solution and I think it is poor participation to suggest so. I would like to know if those suggesting it really use it for themselves. Likely not.

...at very least EFMJ (ie: Guard Dog) or Corbon PowerBall can and should be used.
    Based on the feedbak here and other research I've done, I intend to try Speer Gold Dot 230 grain Short barrel. Then maybe Federal HST if the Speer dont feed well. Taht is if I can find any ammo. I'm not sure about the rest of the Nation, but here in Michigan ammo is hard to come by. Based on the "out of stock, no backorder" comment on many of the major online stores I think it is a coast to coast phenomenon.

You are making an excellent choice.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...sting.html?m=1

My new-to-me RIA Officer's Model with 3.5" barrel hasn't yet had a problem with JHP, LHP, FMJ, or solid lead bullets. The gun costs little over $400, new. My 5" Govt Model RIA is also completely dependable. I consider either to be fully the equal of the 1944 Remington Rand 1911A1 I used for 5 years in the 510th Ordnance Co. in the 1980's. :-) I like the "push" and positive expansion I get with standard pressure 230g Hornady XTP's, and I can duplicate it perfectly with handloads and relatively affordable XTP bullets that reassure me the gun functions fine with factory loads.

As far as FMJ being a preposterous choice unworthy of any consideration, I simply beg to differ. American GI's used it extensively in four major wars and many smaller actions, and they certainly didn't complain about its apparent lack of "stopping power." Then again, many of these same GI's complained bitterly about the .30 caliber carbine, and many also saw it take multiple .30-06 hits from an M-1 Garand to put a man down. They probably had a rather different perspective on the "one-shot stop" idea than we have seen in the popular gun magazines since the 1970's. Judging purely by anecdotal evidence gleaned from reading hundreds of combat memoirs, I would assert that your average GI had a respect for the .45's effectiveness that was practically universal; a belief in its superior "stopping power" compared to the .30 carbine that was practically universal; and widely considered the .45 to have the best close-range stopping power of any weapon in their arsenal (whether launched from SMG or pistol). Why would we dismiss this experience as meaningless because of the existence of superior JHP bullets? Would GI's have been even more impressed with their results if they had used JHP instead of ball? Probably so. But did they consider the FMJ round unsatisfactory? Don't think so.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BMan View Post
    So, In the gun forum several of you convenienced me to keep my Colt Defender and spend the effort to make it reliable. Part of that effort is ammo considertion. The problem I'm working through is failure to battery. Replacing recoils springs and ensureing the gun is well lubed have been checked off the list. Now I'm considering defense ammo.

I'm interested in what you compact 1911 guys are using for carry/defense ammo sucessfully. I'm partial to Hornaday but I belive the Critical Defense bullet is too light for Defender to cycle consistanly reliable. What are you using?

Thanks!

Well, after a lot of forum reading - here and others - a lot of good input from DC members on this thread, and actual conversation with firends in the know, I'm glad to report my Defender is working reliably. The combination for sucess:

1. Ensure the gun is well lubed
    2. Replace the recoil springs
    3. Use qulaity ammo - I landed on Remington Golden Saber 230 gr. for carry (a lot of good reports on this round in the 1911 forums).

I'm anxiously waiting for my Glaco Kingtuk to arrive to later this week replace my current & uncomfortable IWB holster. It's good be back in the saddle and I will no longer have to speak sheep...

Thanks all for the help!!

Just another Speer Gold Dot fan....
    I Love Guns!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links