Defense Ammo for Compact 1911??

This is a discussion on Defense Ammo for Compact 1911?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, In the gun forum several of you convenienced me to keep my Colt Defender and spend the effort to make it reliable. Part of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Defense Ammo for Compact 1911??

So, In the gun forum several of you convenienced me to keep my Colt Defender and spend the effort to make it reliable. Part of that effort is ammo considertion. The problem I'm working through is failure to battery. Replacing recoils springs and ensureing the gun is well lubed have been checked off the list. Now I'm considering defense ammo.

I'm interested in what you compact 1911 guys are using for carry/defense ammo sucessfully. I'm partial to Hornaday but I belive the Critical Defense bullet is too light for Defender to cycle consistanly reliable. What are you using?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

gold dot

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. gets my vote, but use any major manufacture's SD round that cycles well in your gun.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Another vote for Speer Gold Dot 230 grain...

A friend of mine that's a LEO,told me,himself and a few other LEOs, some with Swat,went to a range last yr and tried a couple of different brands of ammo.It was just their opinions,but,what they seem to agree on was speer gold dot,was the best and the remington golden saber was next.He said they were shooting 40 and 45's.

Any and all of the premium 230 grain rounds function flawlessly in my Kimber Ultra Raptor II. Without looking I think I'm carrying Gold Dot now, but again, I'm not afraid of any of it.

Good luck.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

My OM Lightweight clone used nothing but 230G Federal Hydro Shok. Never a hiccup.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Gold Dots work well with my Defender. Fed Premium 230Gr JHP fed reliably too. Golden Sabers look good too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Wow, lots of Gold Dot fans. Cant blame em! I took my Colt XSE LW Commander out to try a few different types of SD ammo. 50 rounds of each of these. Gold Dots, Federal HST, Gold Sabers, Winchester Ranger T, PDX1. Now my gun isnt a shorty like the defender, and the 1911s under 4" have a reputation of being finicky, but all of it did just fine in mine. No hang ups of any kind. As I have been told and feel like I believe, get whichever major manufacturer is available and you should be fine. The question is akin to which caliber is best. Pick one and get good with it!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Federal HST LE Tactical +P 230 gr.

I've fired many Hornady GR FTX, Gold Dots and Federal HST without issues in my New Agent.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

230 gn Speer Gold-Dot or Remington Golden Saber.
    Stick with a bullet that has close to hard-ball design ogive.

Attached Images

Distinguished Member
    Wow, BigJon. Where were you able to find all that ammo? Most on-line dealers are out of stock of all the PD ammo. Local store's ammo cases are all bare here. Perhaps this happened a while back? I wish I knew then what I know now.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I have been giving this subject quite a bit of thought myself, as I just purchased an Officer's length 1911. I'll copy from the post on that thread.

-----

"Since I intend to use this as my CCW, it was important to take it to the range to test accuracy and reliability prior to strapping it on. Over the course of an hour or two I fed the Commando 100 rounds of Speer Lawman FMJ (230g), 100 rounds of WWB FMJ (230g), 100 rounds of Federal Champion FMJ (230g), 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense (185g), and 25 rounds of Federal HST +P (230g).

Although I am in no way recoil sensitive, the pistol handled extremely well with all loads. There were no FTF or FTE; there were no feeding or extraction issues of any kind. This remained the case even when I loaded different rounds consecutively in the magazine. The Hornady CD had the least blast and kick while the Federal HST +P had the most of both. All other loads were equally split between those two in terms of flash, blast, and recoil.

I was concerned with the ability to perform clean follow-up shots, so I ran a drill: five quick shots as fast as I could pull the trigger at 21'. Below are the results. As you can see the Hornady CD is closer-grouped, but the Federal HST +P was not too bad.

Not while the above two groups would not be considered acceptable under just about any circumstances, but I am pleased with them considering this is the first time I've shot this pistol. Keep in mind that this was rapid-fire. (Normally I would be in one ragged hole with the Ed Brown or HK Expert at slow-fire, but I'll work on it. I don't want you guys to be disappointed in me.)"

-----

I am currently carrying the Hornady CD, but I am looking for a heavier bullet I can still trust to expand reliably. But I feel comfortable with all the suggestions listed in all above posts.

Federal HST or Gold Dot 230 gr short barrel. The wide mouth of the HST may hang up on the feed ramp of some sub-compact 1911's but they feed reliably in my Kimber Ultra CDP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links