Is this Buffalo Bore ammo worth it?

This is a discussion on Is this Buffalo Bore ammo worth it? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was researching online and ran across some .357magnum low-recoil, low-muzzle flash self defence loads made by Buffalo Bore. Has anyone here tried them? They ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By AS90
  • 1 Post By MiamiDiver7

Thread: Is this Buffalo Bore ammo worth it?

Is this Buffalo Bore ammo worth it?

I was researching online and ran across some .357magnum low-recoil, low-muzzle flash self defence loads made by Buffalo Bore. Has anyone here tried them? They seem like a good idea. I just want to know if they really do have less flash.

2. Remove Ads

Depends on what you are looking for.

While I have little use for their SD ammo (they're often 'over-driven' for their respective JHP designs), their hunting ammo (esp. the 'hot' HCFNs and HCSWCs) is great for going after tough critters like bear and the like.

Many of the "big name" ammo manufacturers reduced loads use flash-supressed powders- just have to find what gives you the best results in your revolver.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Value is a tough one for me.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Administrator
    Yes, you can trust B Bore to give you accurate ammo information. They do extensive real world testing with specialty and custom formulated powders and their velocity testing is done with actual firearms and not test barrels. They are a high integrity company and have always been.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I thought the whole reason for having BB was for all the bang you could pack into a round. If I wanted low flash, low recoil rounds I'd buy Winchester White box.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Use their .38 special wadcutter in my J frame......also their Keith Style SJWC.....wonderful bullet configuration you can't get anywhere unless you reload your own and also alot of Ppo to their rounds......costly but I like'em.

I use the BB .357 magnum lower recoil low flash in my 640. They are a well-planned and researched round. In my gun they are very accurate and easy to control for follow-up shots. They do have noticeably less recoil than standard full-house .357 loads. I have not tested them in really dark conditions, but they don't seem to have much flash. Yes, they are a bit expensive, but they are worth it.

I use BB 125gr .38 +P in my Smith 64. They load that round with Gold Dot bullets and at 300 ft/lbs is a powerhouse for it's caliber. I've tested on jugs and got .50 expansion, tnoutdoors9 has had good luck with them too in Sim-test.
    MiamiDiver7 likes this.

tnoutdoors9 has a lot of great ballistics test for all sorts of handgun rounds, along with some shotgun and rifle. Anytime I do research for a new round, I check on his Youtube channel first to see if he has done it.
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 481 View Post
    Depends on what you are looking for. While I have little use for their SD ammo (they're often 'over-driven' for their respective JHP designs), their hunting ammo (esp. the 'hot' HCFNs and HCSWCs) is great for going after tough critters like bear and the like. Many of the "big name" ammo manufacturers reduced loads use flash-supressed powders- just have to find what gives you the best results in your revolver.
    I carry BB HCFN in the woods in my handgun. Though the DT are a bit less expensive.

Buffalo Bore® produces excellent ammunition. My wife & I carry their 158gr ammo in our 38 Specials & 357 Magnums. It is THE BEST IMHO. I recommend it w/o hesitation!
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yes....it is one of the botique ammo companies that is actually worth it....they use Starline Brass, do extensive testing before
    they publish the stats and all components are high quality...Rim Rock projectiles....not much NOT to like.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I got two boxes after being recommended by a buddy to try them out. Both boxes were 158gr SWCHP for my smith 642, I took them out to the range stoked the cylinder with 5 rounds out of those 5 only 3 went bang on the first pull. Immediately examined the rounds observed solid primer strikes, then shot a cylinder full of WWB no issues. Decided to shoot another batch of them from the second box one didnt go off. Long story short, out of 40 rounds 10 didnt fire on initial strike. The company was nice enought to send me a partial refund for the ten rounds, they noted it in their system or so they said wont buy anymore.

Links