A Textbook Case

This is a discussion on A Textbook Case within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was reading about the guy in the news that said the kids in schools that get attacked by crazed gunmen should use their ...

Thread: A Textbook Case

A Textbook Case

So I was reading about the guy in the news that said the kids in schools that get attacked by crazed gunmen should use their books to save themselves.

Well I thought this sounded a bit crazy so my wife and I went out in the back yard (we live in the country) and shot a text book.

The Book - 700 page Mathmatics refresher, hard cover.

The Gun - Glock 27

The ammo - Winchester Lawman hollow points 155gr JHP.

Distance - 10 feet shot one, 15 feet shot two.

Outcome:

First shot was from 10 feet, the bullet went through the book and went 5.5 inches into the dirt. All fragments retrieved.

Second shot was from 15 feet, the bullet went through the book and went 5 inches into the dirt. All fragments retrieved.

See Attached Pictures.................

Needless to say tell your kids that the books won't work unless they start putting kevlar covers on them. This was a 700 page book with hard cover front and back and I would guess that id it was a 22lr bullet it might have worked.

See the pics and let me here some comments. It was fun anyways and I never liked that math book.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (126.1 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (402.0 KB, 26 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (260.2 KB, 27 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (225.7 KB, 33 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (172.2 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (124.3 KB, 35 views)
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

ugh...math.. i know I'd have thought that was the perfect use of that book, back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by threeonebravo View Post
    ugh...math.. i know I'd have thought that was the perfect use of that book, back in the day.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

It's hard to take seriously the suggestion that children should use upraised books as defense against bullets. Perhaps the school board members (or whomever) are promoting the idea would care to demonstrate the practicality ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Try this

Very informative site. Good new section on books.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot31.htm

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman View Post
    So I was reading about the guy in the news that said the kids in schools that get attacked by crazed gunmen should use their books to save themselves.

Rugerman, Do you have a link to that article, The one I read said that they should throw the books and desks and whatever they could get their hand on at the BG with the gun. The idea being that the BG would be overwelmed with being pounded with objects that he would have to protect himself from the berage, giving the students a chance to seperate the BG from his gun.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Assistant Administrator
    Well - that certainly proves a point!

I guess any ''book shield'' would have to be multiple books - and even then - in right place to protect.

I think the ''monster assault'' aspect is one that would stand a better chance for sure - if every student hurled books, anything - it could well produce enough disruption to allow weight of numbers to stand some chance of tearing a BG apart.

''The best form of defence is attack'' - the old saying goes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Rugerman, Do you have a link to that article, The one I read said that they should throw the books and desks and whatever they could get their hand on at the BG with the gun. The idea being that the BG would be overwelmed with being pounded with objects that he would have to protect himself from the berage, giving the students a chance to seperate the BG from his gun.
    Two seperate articles. The one you're thinking of is a school in Texas that's teaching it's students to attack a gunman trying to do a Columbine (thread here). The one Rugerman is talking about is a school in Oklahoma that wants students to use textbooks as body armor (thread here).

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I guess any ''book shield'' would have to be multiple books - and even then - in right place to protect.
    Like a whole backpack full!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Thanks Blackeagle for the links, the thought of using a text book as a shield to stop bullets is at best. You throw in a rifle, and a whole stack won't do anything.

But hey, at least he is trying, that's more than can be said for most people in his position.

Now maybe instead of covering those books with paper grocery bags,(do they still do that, or am I getting old) they should go down to shop class and fab up some steel book covers. Maybe some mall ninja will invent the Kevlar Back Pack.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Let's look at the alternative: "Children, lock the classroom door, turn off the lights, and get under your desks......."

If I'm the Wolf- I own your child. They are mine for the taking, as soon as I open the door. "Do you believe in Jesus...?"

Are you comfortable with that mind-set?

I'm not. Personally, and for my children, I recognize that creating chaos for an assailant enhances survivability for us. Books thrown, or several books in bags can and will deflect or stop most ball ammunition. They can and will lower the velocity of rifle rounds, potentially decreasing trauma. There are no guarantees in anything. I would still put my money on anything that stacks the odds in my favor. "Do you believe in Jesus?" "YES. HE told me to kick your A**!" I'm not being facetious, or trying to be offensive- I just believe that our Creator would have us fight for our gift of life. There is no slavation message in offering up life when the sacrifice in no way benefits another.

This is a reaonable solution, until such time as we have armed staff and armed students, with the ability and capacity to give death to an attacker. There was nothing unusual with that concept, circa 1800......

Edit to add- I'm less than a fan of the "body armor" concept, but I have faith that some enterprising Okie kids would carry out the necessary mental extrapolation.

Thanks for posting the links.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Links