Still wiped out!

This is a discussion on Still wiped out! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to Wal-Mart yesterday - ammo wiped out. Went to Bass Pro today - ammo almost wiped out. They had some expensive .40 ($1 per ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mano3

Thread: Still wiped out!

Still wiped out!

Went to Wal-Mart yesterday - ammo wiped out.

Went to Bass Pro today - ammo almost wiped out. They had some expensive .40 ($1 per round) and a few boxes of .45. Also, all their popular re-loading calibers were gone too.

Then went to Academy Sports - ammo almost wiped out. They had limits on only 50 rounds per customer on all the popular calibers.

Just got a sad-gram from Sportsmans Guide. The 600 rounds of 7.62 x 39mm and 500 rounds of .40 I ordered at the end of December is now back-ordered to May and June!
    tony1990 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

It took over a year for the 08 panic to subside somewhat. I distinctly remember that DPMS style 308 mags were the only thing that I flat out could not get for months on end (no 308 Pmag then yet). I could get AR15, I could get Glocks and I could get handgun and rifle ammo, and I could get Glock mags. Sometimes you had to shop around but things were nowhere near as desperate as they are now.

The panic now is far more acute. You cannot get ANY 5.56, 308, .50 cal ammo. 9mm handgun ammo is extremely hard to get. You cannot get any 10+ handgun or rifle magazines. You cannot reasonably get any AR-15 AR-10 style rifle. The stocks and warehouses are completely depleted. Even if the demand returned to normal it would take a year for all that to be restocked and ammo/rifles/mags to become plentiful again.

So if you did not stock up after the 08 panic you will now have to do without for a good long while.

if any of you guys have a fredmeyers where you live check their. went to my fredmeyer to check and they had bunch of 9mm luger 40 s&w 45 auto 10mm 357 mag 44 mag 12 gauge even had some 7.62 but didnt see 223 or 556 ne where. its always spendy their but i have no trouble finding 40 cal. i can get it at 3 different stores in my town at the same price they have been since i got my 40 few months ago

Sportsman's Warehouse had 5.56 ammo in stock, limit 3 boxes though. Also some 45 ACP. They also had 9mm but the last one sold while I was standing there. It was Magtech, for a decent price. Call Sportsmans and find out what days the truck comes in and then wait there like the rest of the guys to get what you want. I did that and got lucky and got 5 LBS of Bullseye powder.

Also check the smaller gun stores. I went to one today in Utah and they had all kinds of ammo. Picked up 2 boxes of PMC 223 for under $8 each and Remington 22 for $24. Not bad prices, those were the limits though. But at least I got some.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

It's a good thing I stock up 6 months ago. I find 9mm is the hardest handgun ammo to find right now anywhere. I can find .40 for reasonable to normal prices, and 45 ACP for slightly more than normal. Every thing else cannot be found and if so, its uber expensive. I stopped trying to backorder anything, as it's futile IMO with the current buying chaos. As for ARs, they are still around here locally, just majorly inflated prices

Wal-Mart in the Mid-Cities Texas has empty shelves.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

Well Im sure glad I bought a case and half of 9mm on black friday, from palmetto state armory, I just got my last order, from them 500 rounds of .45acp, back in the summer I was picking up the Federal value packs of 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp, from walmart each week I was there.. now they have nothing in stock LOL... I know alot of places online are not taking orders cause they are so backed logged with orders and or out of stock...

That's why I now carry a pellet gun. No problem finding ammo for me. Also no inflated prices, long lines, and no restrictions on how much I can buy at once. :)

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    The panic now is far more acute. You cannot get ANY 5.56, 308, .50 cal ammo. 9mm handgun ammo is extremely hard to get. You cannot get any 10+ handgun or rifle magazines. You cannot reasonably get any AR-15 AR-10 style rifle. The stocks and warehouses are completely depleted. Even if the demand returned to normal it would take a year for all that to be restocked and ammo/rifles/mags to become plentiful again.

So if you did not stock up after the 08 panic you will now have to do without for a good long while.

I have 10 Magpul's showing up Monday. It is possible to find.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Links