Ammo shortage explained?

Ammo shortage explained?

This is a discussion on Ammo shortage explained? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has it occurred to anyone else the reason we have this current ammo shortage is because the US gov't. has ordered such vast quantities? Maybe ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Ammo shortage explained?

Distinguished Member

Ammo shortage explained?

Has it occurred to anyone else the reason we have this current ammo shortage is because the US gov't. has ordered such vast quantities? Maybe this was the idea to backlog the system so far we couldn't get any ammo. Just saying, even the army didn't order 2 billion rounds of JHP like the Dept. of Homeland Defense did. Even the treasury dept. ordered millions of rounds. The backdoor way to ban certain weapons was to prevent the availability of ammo for them. Still can't find any .45 or 9mm. or .223/5.56 anywhere online or within 100 miles of here. Think about it.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

NMB
    There is going to be a tin foil shortage around here pretty soon...........

conspiracy.jpg
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I have thought about that as well. Others on this forum have discussed the large govt ammo purchases but mentioned most were bulk buys with just enough for agents to qualify with there carry ammo. It was also mentioned that those were multiple year contracts. I don't know the details myself.

I think WE are to blame more than the government. ANYBODY should have been able to see the storm on the horizon. Without ammo your guns are useless. I stocked up on over a ton of ammo over a 6 month period before this happened. Not due to shortages per say but if there was any natural disaster that disrupted food/water/power supply I would want to protect what I have gathered for my family. We have seen how quickly the selves can go bare and there wasn't even an emergency. When you need ammo the most is not the time to try to get it.

Personally I think the large ammo makers are purposely dragging the shortage out and inflating prices. Pre-Panic I was getting 1000 cases of federal 9mm delivered to my door for $235. Before this "shortage" is over that will go for $400 with a new post panic price of $300 after the dust settles.

If the government wants to controll ammo that will be done through taxes, OSHA, and the EPA. Of course that's what's fuleing the panic. Now is not the time to buy bulk but in general the price of ammo will never get cheaper in the future. When the market is calm sieze the moment and stock up.
    Bark'n likes this.

VIP Member
    Charter member, obviously.

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Ammo shortage explained?

Man, I don't know where y'all are from but things aren't quite that bad here in Vermont. My local gun shop has plenty of range ammo but the SD rounds were a little depleted.
    Rifles and handguns galore! AK's, AR's and all the extras to go with them.
    I had my choice of ammo for caliber. I just didn't have the money. If I did, I could have walked out with a few cases of each caliber, 9mm, .40, and .380.

Personally my area is getting ammo in just fine. Walmart is starting to buy rounds again. Think about it, before these last few months, the businesses didn't NEED to support such high volumes of purchases and some online places are starting to get ammo in. It's not a conspiracy, just bad timing and no one foresaw this
    CharlesMorri likes this.

Ammo shortage explained?

DFW everywhere is short or out....panic buying hitting hard even though we already have legislation in process to void any new federal regs. It will settle down in time as the manufacturers begin to catch up

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk ... Possibly from the crapper

VIP Member
    Government conspiracy? No Folks going into a panic, sky is falling mentality and buying everything in site for themselves? Yep.

People that don't even own a certain caliber bought all they could find simply to resell. A $1.29 box of .22 LR for 5,7, $10 a box. Gotta love the American business model. I got it now let's see how much someone will pay for it.
    kb2wji, JDE101, pgrass101 and 2 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Government conspiracy? No Folks going into a panic, sky is falling mentality and buying everything in site for themselves? Yep.

People that don't even own a certain caliber bought all they could find simply to resell. A $1.29 box of .22 LR for 5,7, $10 a box. Gotta love the American business model. I got it now let's see how much someone will pay for it.
    I saw that stuff too. I just up and asked one guy who bought a lot of each caliber but he said it was for people that might need it. I thought he had all those calibers. But I am guilty of that too. I bought 10mm ammo prior to getting the barrel for it in my glock

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Has it occurred to anyone else the reason we have this current ammo shortage is because the US gov't. has ordered such vast quantities?
    The quantities ordered are a joke in the grand scheme of things with regard to the domestic production of ammunition.

Maybe this was the idea to backlog the system so far we couldn't get any ammo. Just saying, even the army didn't order 2 billion rounds of JHP like the Dept. of Homeland Defense did. Even the treasury dept. ordered millions of rounds. The backdoor way to ban certain weapons was to prevent the availability of ammo for them. Still can't find any .45 or 9mm. or .223/5.56 anywhere online or within 100 miles of here. Think about it.
    Not even close.

Some event triggers a panic and people buy not only enough ammo for their wants, but also more ammo for them to sell to other panicked people that got there too late and want to make money off them. Ammo sells fast from retailers/dealers so they compensate by ordering more than they normally sell due to increased sales and demand. That dries up the wholesale market with dealers normally ordering 10,000 rounds of ammo instead ordering 50,000 rounds of ammo from 5 different distributors, which is a gross illustration of the true demand. Those orders make it back to the manufacturers that shrug their shoulders and say "We're already running at top production, you'll get your standard allocation and that's it." Then the stories of "my sales rep told me this" and "I heard from a guy whose brother in law works for Winchester than said that".

The worst thing for any industry is a panic buy.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Indeed sir

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    It's not a conspiracy, just bad timing and no one foresaw this
    I respectfully disagree. Anyone who has followed events since the Left got traction in 2006 should have sensed something was amiss. Things got more intense during the primaries leading to the 2008 election. Again, more clues. In addition to politics, we've seen a resurgence of the Black Panthers and other extremist groups (of all backgrounds), more divisiveness from group to group, inflation and worldwide and domestic unemployment/economic issues. It all boils down to situational awareness - it goes beyond the threats we face in stores and walking around in public. All it takes is a trigger event (like the anti-2A crowd and politicians) and it's game on! I saw the same behavior in Florida whenever we learned a hurricane was imminent. Panic buying of whatever was on the shelf, whether or not needed was the norm. Prudence dictated building depth in the pantry (ammo locker) well in advance and as much/often as budget permitted. JMHO.
    GetSmith likes this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I think since most of the contracts are fore multiple years for DHS, TREASURY, and SOCIAL SECURITY ADMIN. I would have to believe with others that the consumer is doing it to themselves. Over the past year prior to the school shooting I had been stocking up to about 500FMJ and 250 JHP per gun. I have 8 pistols so it adds up quick, plus my AR, 308 and two shotguns. But I did it over a 12 month period. I had the light bulb go off one day and just starting buying some here and there. Hell now some Police Departments cant get ammo for their officers to qualify and replace duty rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Anyone who has followed events since the Left got traction in 2006 should have sensed something was amiss. Things got more intense during the primaries leading to the 2008 election. Again, more clues. In addition to politics, we've seen a resurgence of the Black Panthers and other extremist groups (of all backgrounds), more divisiveness from group to group, inflation and worldwide and domestic unemployment/economic issues. It all boils down to situational awareness - it goes beyond the threats we face in stores and walking around in public. All it takes is a trigger event (like the anti-2A crowd and politicians) and it's game on! I saw the same behavior in Florida whenever we learned a hurricane was imminent. Panic buying of whatever was on the shelf, whether or not needed was the norm. Prudence dictated building depth in the pantry (ammo locker) well in advance and as much/often as budget permitted. JMHO.
    I agree whole heatedly with you brother, but we are talking about..well, I, am talking about manufacturers not foreseeing this. Heck, and store owners. Unless your buried in politics, you wouldn't notice. I was going country to country around when Osama and Biden won...and no it's not a typo. He's a domestic terrorist in my mind. I had no idea how radical he was while I was off playing Rambo for Uncle Sam. As far as I knew, all was just fine here at home

So how long do you guys think this ammo shortage/panic buying will last?
    Personally I'm laying low and I'll try to get more ammo a few months from now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links