Stopping Power Of Ammunition

This is a discussion on Stopping Power Of Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Roundeyesamurai I didn't say there is no difference. Read more carefully. The question which remains is "How much more likely?". The answer ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stopping Power Of Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Roundeyesamurai View Post
    I didn't say there is no difference. Read more carefully.

The question which remains is "How much more likely?". The answer is that, despite all of the jello-testing, theorizing, rhetoric, and so forth, the difference in performance on living beings between service pistol cartridges isn't enough to write home about.
    Forget jello testing, forget theory, do some simple geometry. The frontal area of a 9mm bullet is about 63.6 square millimeters. The frontal area of a .45 caliber bullet is 102.6 square millimeters, 60% larger. Can you really say that a 60% difference is negligible?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

Firearms Tactical Institute

Auta,
    Go to this web site and you can read some very informative and authorative info to help answer your question.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactical.htm

Ex Member Array Roundeyesamurai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Can you really say that a 60% difference is negligible?
    Yes.

In the same way that a bead with a diameter of 1mm has a surface area of 3.14 square millimeters, and a bead with a diameter of 1.5mm has more than twice the surface area- 7.065 square millimeters. This does not change the fact that most people need a pair of tweezers to hold either bead. They're both tiny.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How expensive are those thermo-nuclear tipped hollowpoints?
    Can you get them at Wal-Mart?

ret
    HAHA!!!! :D
    I think they are LEO only!!!! ;)
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

500 Magnum Corbon hunter ammo with better than 4 1/2times the energy from a .357Mag.
    Muzzle energy is a measurement of the potential to do work. A 10mm load with 700fpe has the potential to do more work than a 10mm load with 550fpe. That is it. That is all it illustrates. It has nothing to do with explaining stopping power.

Stopping power is a measurement of a shooter's ego in protecting their beloved cartridge, BSing capabilities, and inflating propaganda about an unmeasurable phenomenon.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Stopping power is a measurement of a shooter's ego in protecting their beloved cartridge, BSing capabilities, and inflating propaganda about an unmeasurable phenomenon.

Quite possibly the most acutely accurate statement I have ever had the pleasure of reading on any gun board....

My hat off to you, I dub thee "Sir Freak".....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

In all of these debates I believe that many people confuss the so-called 'stopping power' with 'killing power'. In hunting, we want a clean, efficient kill (penetration to the vitals). In defensive shootings, we want to STOP the bad guy from doing what he's doing. In other words, get his attention for long enough to get to cover or away from the confrontation; this we do with less penetration and more expansion...

We all must remember that at close distances the recoil we feel in our hands is basically what the bad guy feels when he's hit with the bullet. Bigger and faster is always better -- especially when the handgun is loaded with a premium bullet (DPX, Golden Saber, Gold Dot, HST, etc.).

Of course shot placement is always a key, but you can get away with a little more than always being perfect with rounds such as a 10mm (full loads), .357 Magnum, etc..

Shoot what you like, practice until defensive firing is as natural as walking, and be alert. Stopping power is not always killing power, it's preventing (or stopping) the bad guy from doing what he's doing and you less injured in the aftermath...good luck

Deadmarsh
    Last edited by deadmarsh; November 10th, 2006 at 09:41 AM.

Bigger and faster is always better ...
    Unless you miss because of all that power, of course.

In a single bullet comparison, obviously a bigger hole is better. But making that hole depends on every other factor surrounding the specific package you've got in your hand.

For me, the ability to stop a predator is that combination of factors that yields the most displaced vital matter in a short period of time. That includes: ballistics, recoil management, size/weight of the weapon, familiarity, situational preparedness, etc. Size/weight/speed of the bullet is only one aspect. IMO, not the important aspect, when compared to everything else.

Data point: That recent thread discussing a CHL/CCW licensing course in which one guy brought a big gun with the nastiest, harshest ammo he could find. Ended up not being able to handle it. Succeeded in the course with a Glock 19 and standard ammo. Perfect example of this principle, though on the extreme end of things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

ccw9mm:

Read my complete thread...you just said what I said in a different way...

But, bigger and faster is better if the shooter is proficient; no one is slamming the smaller calibers...

Dead

VIP Member
    Mozambique... 2 to the chest, 1 to the head!
    (with Corbon DPX )
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Bigger or faster and better yet, bigger "and" faster always worked for me.
    .45acp personal, 12 guage in and around the house, 7.62 Nato for the neighborhood and woods. My three horses. I have other sizes but I like these three!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I prefer my M109 155mm SP Howitzer. Guaranteed one shot stop. Shoots a 98 lb. projectile. This allows me to shoot the subject from 20,000 meters away and bury them in fell swoop!

It is a real pain to conceal, though, but I chose an IWB Fist holster for it.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links