Is Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense 9mm 124gr any good?

This is a discussion on Is Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense 9mm 124gr any good? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it similar to Rem Golden Saber (aside from weight)? 9mm Remington Golden Saber 147 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Is Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense 9mm 124gr any good?

Is it similar to Rem Golden Saber (aside from weight)?
    9mm Remington Golden Saber 147 gr Ammo Gel test - YouTube

I've not used the one you mention but had used lots of the Golden Sabre in various calibers. Never an issue. I've heard some call Golden Sabre a dated or older technology for bullets but I know many that still use it.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

ok i just saw a crappy ammo test on it, full jacket separation

It's good ammo, don't let one bad test ruin things. They work well, several local agencies use it around here and are satisfied. The bullet was designed by the inventor of the Black Talon/SXT/Ranger T (I'm not going to try to spell his awful name at 2am. google him) According to Remington, the HD is the same as the non bonded Gold Saber. The core is physicaly locked to the jacket, and if the core dies separate it's still got a flat crushing profile. The design is very tolerant of heavy clothes, and the stiff, rounded jacket lets it feed in evrrything

For every "test" result somebody posts, theres somebody posting the exact opposite results on their youtube channel. The GS has a flat expanded shape with sharp edges, feeds in almost anything, tolerates obstacles well, and has a proven track record. What's not to like?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    ok i just saw a crappy ammo test on it, full jacket separation
    The non-bonded versions (in all calibers) are prone to having some degree of jacket separation. With that being said, the separation occurs after the bullet has achieved about 12 inches of penetration. In addition, the non-bonded version forms some very nasty sharp edges which could be argued to do more damage than a bonded bullet. I use them and have a great deal of confidence in them as a defensive bullet. Should anyone care if they sometimes have jacket separation after 12" of penetration????? I sure don't!

To answer the OP. The 124 grain version is an excellent choice!

I feel that there's no bad sd ammo, if one dosent expand it still goes thru like an fmj and causes damage. Then you shoot more and if there is seperation then keep shooting! You will stop the threat or neutrilize it, the biggest issue is making sure it feeds properly in your gun, if it does then carry anything.

Yes, almost any SD ammo from a well-respected manufacturer is gonna' be okay. The R&D is tooo expensive & the risk of their reputation in a gigantic, profitable market is too great for them to screw-up. That having been said, I still can't bring myself to buy any ammo with the word "zombie" printed anywhere on the box (sorry Hornady).
    NCSoxFan likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The ammo is fine. There are lots of excellent choices, whose merits will be the subject of endless debate, but rest assured that this is good enough ammo that it can safely languish at the bottom of your list of things to worry about. :-)

VIP Member
    It is good

Sponsored Links