Most readily available caliber...

This is a discussion on Most readily available caliber... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pay little attention to stocks of ammunition normally. Our local grocery store is a surprisingly large seller of ammunition, generally keeping a full line ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Most readily available caliber...

I pay little attention to stocks of ammunition normally. Our local grocery store is a surprisingly large seller of ammunition, generally keeping a full line of cartridges of all types on hand for out-of-town deer/turkey hunters. They sell a lot of handgun ammo too. They had .380 a couple years back when no one else did; just go in and fill one's shopping basket with groceries and throw in a box of .380 while shopping.

I did notice that they were high and dry on most handgun ammunition and .223, .308, and 7.62X39. In fact the only handgun ammunition left was three boxes of .25 ACP, three boxes of .32 S&W, and one box of 25 rounds of .41 Magnum. Never thought I'd see the day that those particular three handgun cartridges would represent the entire stock of handgun ammunition in an establishment.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    40 caliber seems plentiful around my area.
    I too have been perplexed with this. Tons of .40S&W at my Walmart with a mix of a few .357 SIG boxes and .22 shorts.

Last time I talked to the walmart guy in sporting goods he said he was stocking the shelf with .223 and no sooner had he put the 2nd box on the shelf, than someone came by and bought the entire case.

i can walk in to few stores and get 40 and 12 gauge for my guns. if i take a trip to another store less than mile from my house, no one seems to know they have ammo (wont say where).. they have 9mm 40 357 44 45 acp 45 long colt 10mm 7.62... and all had atleast ten boxes each if not more. but i have been stocked up so don't need any more at the moment

Pretty much nothing today...Crazy!
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

I have a friend that just bought a Ruger 22 pistol. He has been all around town (Seattle, WA) and can't find a single box of basic ammo. He found some incredibly expensive weird stuff that was probably special target ammo but nothing normal.

Are people really hoarding 22LR ammo? Do people think Obama is going to make it illegal? It makes sense for people to go grab an AR15 or a high capacity magazine but are people really hoarding 9mm? Or is this all about people that didn't have guns buying a new gun and buying a box or two of ammo to go along with it?

My local walmart had about 20 boxes of 9x19 on the shelf on Saturday (PPU). They were limiting sales to three boxes per customer, though, or I would have bought all of it. I usually use WWB for my plinking and target shooting, but I haven't seen any of that at walmart since the middle of December.

The only rounds that are hard to find here are .223/5.56 and .357 SIG (which is always scarce)

There is .40 galore in my area and .380 is also all over the place. .45 is around, but not as much as .40 and .380. Apparently .40 is not nearly as popular as I thought it was. Also find it funny that .380 was impossible to find a few years back and that people are apparently hoarding .22 ammo like never before for some reason....can't find .22LR anywhere.

This is why I reload 9MM, 40S&W and 45ACP. Took inventory right after Christmas and bought more 9MM 115 Gr Bullits, Powder and 9MM Brass. I look 10 years down the road for ammo and feel good with what I have. I also capture all brass from what I shoot at my range.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Distinguished Member
    Plenty of ammo in my area except for 22lr and 223. Everything else is on the shelves...I bought a box of critical defense 9mm today for 22.95.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

The local Walmart always has 12 and 20 ga slugs and sum bird/buckshot. 270,243 and 17
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Smilinswordsman View Post
    17 hmr, 30-06 and 10mm
    +1......
    And .357 sig, plus the big game loads. Thankfully buckshot is still cheap and plentiful.
    You can find everything on Gunbroker.com but you will pay an arm and a leg for most of it. I lurk for deals and haven't had a whole lot of luck.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Just found out the LGS we'd been getting .380 ammo at will only sell it to you with the purchase of a gun! What! Another one (a closer one!) sold me 4 boxes two days ago and another 4 this afternoon. Say they have everything on order just don't know when they'll get it in.

Course, I have to admit, I would be pretty upset if I bought a new gun and the shop that sold it to me didn't have any ammo for it.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I haven't been shopping for ammo much recently. I bought a case of Blazer lead round nose .22LR's for $18/box/525 about a month ago. Shortly after, and through to today, you can't get the stuff anymore at the store. When I got mine there was a pallet 4' high or better in the showroom of nothing but cases of the stuff.

40 is pretty plentiful around here as is 45
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links