Defensive Carry banner

Most readily available caliber...

19K views 35 replies 34 participants last post by  mbguy29577 
#1 ·
So after a few grocery runs to the local Wal-Marts. I will occasionally drop by the firearm section to get a peek at what pistol/revolver ammunition they have in stock. I remember back in 2008 all they would usually have was a couple boxes of .357 Sig. Just recently all I have seen on the shelves here are .40 S&W. I haven't stopped by the local fun shops (I know it will be hard to keep my wallet closed) to see what they have on hand.

It seems like 9x19mm is impossible to get, as well as other 'popular' calibers. It seems like it would be a good idea to get something chambered in a decently used caliber compared to something that is super popular that everyone has from what I have noticed. Unless of course you stocked up before all this non-sense took place.

My simple question is what caliber can you just walk into your local store and grab a few boxes of, no having to run all over (or all over the internet if you don't have any sources locally) to get a box of target ammunition? :blackeye::blackeye:

#27 ·
+1......
And .357 sig, plus the big game loads. Thankfully buckshot is still cheap and plentiful.
You can find everything on Gunbroker.com but you will pay an arm and a leg for most of it. I lurk for deals and haven't had a whole lot of luck.

#5 ·
The .40 is getting scarce around here, too.

Had to buy some PPU JHP's last week for my target needs. :puke:

Turns out that's all they're good for anyways. But, now they're not even in stock anymore.

The lady at the WM ammo counter must have saw me coming today b/c as soon as i got up there she didn't even turn around and said, "still no new .40." lol

I found a box through WM.com in a neighboring city so i guess i'll run over there tomm.

#13 ·
For hand guns 38's and 45 on the rack good supply of 40's.
Rifles the standard hunting stuff is on the rack 30.06, 270 ect. The only empty racks are the one military uses 5.6 and 9mm.
Other ammo some 7.62X39 plenty of 7.62X54 . At least around here.

#14 ·
...seems that our favorite pawn shop is becoming our ammo shop...he's come up with .40 ball, .357 JHP and JSP, 9mm ball, 10mm, 10 ga., 6mm, as well as a coupla other rifle calibers...today he had about 140 rds. PMC .223 FMJ...at about $17 per box...last year me and mine tanked up on .223 WW for $4 per box...we bought about 60 boxes between us...sure glad we did...his prices sure ain't friendly now!!!

#17 ·
I too have been perplexed with this. Tons of .40S&W at my Walmart with a mix of a few .357 SIG boxes and .22 shorts.

Last time I talked to the walmart guy in sporting goods he said he was stocking the shelf with .223 and no sooner had he put the 2nd box on the shelf, than someone came by and bought the entire case. :aargh4:

#16 ·
I pay little attention to stocks of ammunition normally. Our local grocery store is a surprisingly large seller of ammunition, generally keeping a full line of cartridges of all types on hand for out-of-town deer/turkey hunters. They sell a lot of handgun ammo too. They had .380 a couple years back when no one else did; just go in and fill one's shopping basket with groceries and throw in a box of .380 while shopping.

I did notice that they were high and dry on most handgun ammunition and .223, .308, and 7.62X39. In fact the only handgun ammunition left was three boxes of .25 ACP, three boxes of .32 S&W, and one box of 25 rounds of .41 Magnum. Never thought I'd see the day that those particular three handgun cartridges would represent the entire stock of handgun ammunition in an establishment.

#18 ·
i can walk in to few stores and get 40 and 12 gauge for my guns. if i take a trip to another store less than mile from my house, no one seems to know they have ammo (wont say where).. they have 9mm 40 357 44 45 acp 45 long colt 10mm 7.62... and all had atleast ten boxes each if not more. but i have been stocked up so don't need any more at the moment

#20 ·
I have a friend that just bought a Ruger 22 pistol. He has been all around town (Seattle, WA) and can't find a single box of basic ammo. He found some incredibly expensive weird stuff that was probably special target ammo but nothing normal.

Are people really hoarding 22LR ammo? Do people think Obama is going to make it illegal? It makes sense for people to go grab an AR15 or a high capacity magazine but are people really hoarding 9mm? Or is this all about people that didn't have guns buying a new gun and buying a box or two of ammo to go along with it?

#21 ·
My local walmart had about 20 boxes of 9x19 on the shelf on Saturday (PPU). They were limiting sales to three boxes per customer, though, or I would have bought all of it. I usually use WWB for my plinking and target shooting, but I haven't seen any of that at walmart since the middle of December.

#23 ·
There is .40 galore in my area and .380 is also all over the place. .45 is around, but not as much as .40 and .380. Apparently .40 is not nearly as popular as I thought it was. Also find it funny that .380 was impossible to find a few years back and that people are apparently hoarding .22 ammo like never before for some reason....can't find .22LR anywhere.

#24 ·
This is why I reload 9MM, 40S&W and 45ACP. Took inventory right after Christmas and bought more 9MM 115 Gr Bullits, Powder and 9MM Brass. I look 10 years down the road for ammo and feel good with what I have. I also capture all brass from what I shoot at my range.

#28 ·
Just found out the LGS we'd been getting .380 ammo at will only sell it to you with the purchase of a gun! What! Another one (a closer one!) sold me 4 boxes two days ago and another 4 this afternoon. Say they have everything on order just don't know when they'll get it in.

Course, I have to admit, I would be pretty upset if I bought a new gun and the shop that sold it to me didn't have any ammo for it. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.