Most readily available caliber...

This is a discussion on Most readily available caliber... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after a few grocery runs to the local Wal-Marts. I will occasionally drop by the firearm section to get a peek at what pistol/revolver ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Most readily available caliber...

So after a few grocery runs to the local Wal-Marts. I will occasionally drop by the firearm section to get a peek at what pistol/revolver ammunition they have in stock. I remember back in 2008 all they would usually have was a couple boxes of .357 Sig. Just recently all I have seen on the shelves here are .40 S&W. I haven't stopped by the local fun shops (I know it will be hard to keep my wallet closed) to see what they have on hand.

It seems like 9x19mm is impossible to get, as well as other 'popular' calibers. It seems like it would be a good idea to get something chambered in a decently used caliber compared to something that is super popular that everyone has from what I have noticed. Unless of course you stocked up before all this non-sense took place.

My simple question is what caliber can you just walk into your local store and grab a few boxes of, no having to run all over (or all over the internet if you don't have any sources locally) to get a box of target ammunition?

.270 is about the only thing you can get around here, at least that's the way it is at BassPro,!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Aside from shot, about the only thing you'll find here in Northern WV is .40 S&W.

17 hmr, 30-06 and 10mm

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    The .40 is getting scarce around here, too.

Had to buy some PPU JHP's last week for my target needs.

Turns out that's all they're good for anyways. But, now they're not even in stock anymore.

The lady at the WM ammo counter must have saw me coming today b/c as soon as i got up there she didn't even turn around and said, "still no new .40." lol

I found a box through WM.com in a neighboring city so i guess i'll run over there tomm.

any hunting rifle caliber, .40, .38 spl, .45 auto, and anything 12 ga
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Wal Mart had 10 boxes of .40 Cal yesterday, but nothing else. I would have bought every one of them if I still had my .40. Besides 22lr and some bird shot, that's all they had.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

Distinguished Member
    Lucky find yesterday, scored a box of .45 Gold Dots. Made my day. Very rare around here.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Got 3 100 count boxes of 9mm Winchester White Box from Walmart here yesterday. Felt like I had won the lottery! I have all but quit shooting as I cannot replace the ammo expended. Sure hope things level out soon.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Wally World: .270, .30-06 and 7mm hunting ammo.

.45 ACP pops up time to time.

There was a lonely box of Tula steel cased .40 all by itself, but my .40 won't eat steel...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Local ammo is 12ga, .270 .30-06, .38 special, 45, 45colt, 9x18 and 10mm. Some .357 mag and 40 is spotted at times.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I was more specifically talking about pistol cartridges like 9x18, 10mm, .357 Sig, etc.

For hand guns 38's and 45 on the rack good supply of 40's.
    Rifles the standard hunting stuff is on the rack 30.06, 270 ect. The only empty racks are the one military uses 5.6 and 9mm.
    Other ammo some 7.62X39 plenty of 7.62X54 . At least around here.

...seems that our favorite pawn shop is becoming our ammo shop...he's come up with .40 ball, .357 JHP and JSP, 9mm ball, 10mm, 10 ga., 6mm, as well as a coupla other rifle calibers...today he had about 140 rds. PMC .223 FMJ...at about $17 per box...last year me and mine tanked up on .223 WW for $4 per box...we bought about 60 boxes between us...sure glad we did...his prices sure ain't friendly now!!!

40 caliber seems plentiful around my area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links