45 acp +p for hunting and 45 super and Glock 21 10mm conversion

This is a discussion on 45 acp +p for hunting and 45 super and Glock 21 10mm conversion within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just got a gen 3 glock 21 I plan on using for back up as well as primary for hogs and non-trophy white ...

Thread: 45 acp +p for hunting and 45 super and Glock 21 10mm conversion

So I just got a gen 3 glock 21 I plan on using for back up as well as primary for hogs and non-trophy white tail hunting. I got it because I wanted a 10mm and a guy traded me straight up for my g19. (And he gave me 4 mags and blackhawk OSTWB holster!)
    I was wondering what would be the best type of ammunition to use. Double tap makes a 255gr swc hard cast that just looks so cool. Ifigure it would get very good penetration. I live in South Texas so the deer aren't usually very big compared to up north. I was
    thinking that something with moderate expansion and good penetration will be my best bet.

What is the best +p ammo for hogs? What is the best for small South TX deer?

Anyone know who makes flat point lead tipped 45+p?

If I only shoot 4 or 5, 45 supers with my factory g21 with plastic guide rod and recoil buffer will it blow up or severely damage my
    gun?

Is it even worth it to shoot those supers when hunting or should I just stick to +p?

Has anyone hunted with there 45 acp? And I'd love to hear about it.

What minimum mods do I need to make it a 10mm? Can I get away with drop in barrel and a factory g21 plastic guide rod?

Does anyone have a 10mm long slide glock? How is the reliability and accuracy of it?

Lots of questions my friends your feedback will be very useful and much appreciated.
    Thanks- Johnny

You might want to look into a 460 Rowland conversion.

Compensated Glock-21 Conversion

.460 Rowland | About the .460 Rowland Cartridge

Yes a drop in 10mm conversion will work. You will need a stiffer recoil spring.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Check out Underwood ammo, especially for the 10mm stuff! DT has dropped in velocity, not as good as it used to be! The 180 or 200 grain will do the job for both.
    Also go to www.10mm-firearms.com to get additional information, best 10mm site around.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

You don't need +p for deer. You need to be able to limit your shot and place it.

You don't even need HP ammo. The fmj works fine if you take out the shoulder. All shots should be under 20 yards.

Concerning the 10mm, 180 grain XTP bullets work fine.

Concerning Double Tap ammo.... It still works and is very, very high quality and consistent ammo.

If you shoot a 10mm, then you should use DT, because their the reason it hasn't faded away. Oh sure, others haves piled on the wagon, but Mike McNett knows a few things about the 10mm, and was producing it when it others had either abandon it, or were still in diapers.

There is more to quality ammo than velocity.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

IMHO, the 10mm will hunt "better" than will the .45 Super. As said above, it's just a barrel swap, recoil spring upgrade & 10mm mags. The .460 Roland conversion is gonna' deliver performance very near that of a .44 mag. but most report the necessity of a compensator & considerable tweaking to make everything work. If it were me, I'd stick with 10mm from a 6" KKM conversion barrel, with something like 200 grain Hornady XTP. Double Tap also make a bone-crushing 200 grain, flat-nosed, gas check, hard cast bullet. Either one of those at ~1300 fps is gonna' run ballistic circles around a .45 Super. With plenty of juice for hogs & deer. Sounds like FUN!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

So I just order the Glock 20 6 inch barrel from KKM? I didn't see a conversion barrel.

Sponsored Links