changed my HD ammo in my 1911

This is a discussion on changed my HD ammo in my 1911 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; figured they are getting a little old and some fresh ammo is due. I'm sure they are fine but the last think I want to ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ljutic
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool
  • 1 Post By rugergunner

Thread: changed my HD ammo in my 1911

figured they are getting a little old and some fresh ammo is due. I'm sure they are fine but the last think I want to think of in the middle of the night is "do these old dogs still bite"

put in Hornady Critical Defense

took out the old Black Talons

I think that was a great choice. The Black Talons were a great design when introduced, but there are much better performers on the market today.

Hornady Critical Defense shoots light and will reliably expand every time. If you're not recoil sensitive, you should try Federal HST +P. It is an amazing round, although it is much more snappy than the Hornady.

VIP Member
    I am a Hornady fan but those black talons were the tops
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

If you are loading those bullets in a 5", then the HST standard pressure sure looks hard to beat. I ran this test with a 3.3" barrel and it did great.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal testing Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST
    R040607 likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

It's a good idea to rotate your ammo periodically. It doesn't have to be done very often (in my opinion). Just about any of the premium SD ammo will do right by you. Personally I like HST and Gold Dot, but any of them will do the job.

How does your 1911 shoot those Critical Defense rounds?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    If you are loading those bullets in a 5", then the HST standard pressure sure looks hard to beat. I ran this test with a 3.3" barrel and it did great.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal testing Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST
    The results of your test really do look amazing. Will you have time to retest the +P variant anytime in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    How does your 1911 shoot those Critical Defense rounds?
    I can answer that from experience. They fed fine in my full size 1911 but the polymer tip often got hung up on the feed ramp of the sub-compact. That's why it's important to try different ammunition, especially in small pistols to make sure they will feed reliably. My Ultra CDP feeds just about anything other than Critical Defense.
    sniper58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I can answer that from experience. They fed fine in my full size 1911 but the polymer tip often got hung up on the feed ramp of the sub-compact. That's why it's important to try different ammunition, especially in small pistols to make sure they will feed reliably. My Ultra CDP feeds just about anything other than Critical Defense.
    Which is why I asked the OP how they fed in HIS pistol...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Future yes since I carry that load. Near future??? Hard to tell right now since I'm shut down due to Winter.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I like the Speer Gold Dots and the Remington Golden Sabers. Oldies but goodies.
    USM1976 likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Links