low recoil 38 special suggestion - Page 2

low recoil 38 special suggestion

This is a discussion on low recoil 38 special suggestion within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks fellas I'm gonna keep these in mind and see what I can track down....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: low recoil 38 special suggestion

Thanks fellas
    I'm gonna keep these in mind and see what I can track down.

Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    I can assure you that this is the definitive answer:

Remington Express Targetmaster (R38S3) 148gr Lead Wadcutter

This is the lightest load I've ever fired from 38 special. This load is confidence inspiring.
    I was going to reply, recommending this same load and providing a link but all the places I checked were sold out and not accepting back-orders.

Same basic 148 grain hollow base wadcutter load has long been available from Federal, Winchester, and Remington and other manufacturer's have also loaded it.

There is no factory load on earth that is milder to shoot in a .38 Special revolver than a 148 grain target load.

2.8 grains of Bulls-Eye beneath a lead 148 grain hollow base wadcutter will duplicate performance of the 148 grain target load if a fellow wants to load a batch. The Hornady 148 grain bullet with it's knurled bearing surface is a dandy for the purpose or any of several commercial bullet casters can provide hollow base 148 grain wadcutters with the traditional driving/lubricating bands.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: .358 38 CAL :: 38 Cal .358 148 gr HBWC
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The .38 Special 148 gr WC as loaded by Federal (GM38A @ 710 fps), Remington (R38S3 @ 710 fps), MagTech (38B @ 710 fps), Sellier & Bellot (SBA03801 @ 700 fps), and Winchester (Q4196)- all are gentle as can be.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

You're asking a very, very insightful question & have good instincts in the matter. I will co-sign with others about the normally-common target wadcutters.

It can also help a LOT if you provide her the best hearing protection you can; a pair of foam earplugs covered by an inexpensive set of earmuffs will be worth their weight in gold. If you have a choice, shoot outdoors and in sunlight. These things will do a lot to reduce perceived blast, flash, and concussion, and those things have a huge influence on how she will feel about "recoil."
    R040607 and marcclarke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaMan View Post
    You're asking a very, very insightful question & have good instincts in the matter. I will co-sign with others about the normally-common target wadcutters.

It can also help a LOT if you provide her the best hearing protection you can; a pair of foam earplugs covered by an inexpensive set of earmuffs will be worth their weight in gold. If you have a choice, shoot outdoors and in sunlight. These things will do a lot to reduce perceived blast, flash, and concussion, and those things have a huge influence on how she will feel about "recoil."
    In addition to ear protection, make sure she also uses eye protection. I know you're talking revolver here, but I can attest from experience with a semi-auto the value of eye protection. I was standing several feet to the side and and at least 5 feet back from someone shooting a new 9mm, and a sliver of brass shaved off, flew back, and buried in my cheek just below my shooting glasses. An inch higher, and no glasses, and I would have had serious problems.
    marcclarke likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Nobody has recommended +P loads. I told him to avoid anything +P and gwgw60 said be careful even when it doesn't say +P. Nobody has told him to seek them out.
    After re-reading I stand corrected!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I have found the WWB standard 38SPCL to be very light in recoil.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Extremely low recoil, 110gr Federal Hydra Shok, my grandmother would shoot these in her smith model 10.

148 Gr Wadcutters. Generally, these are target loads, but they also punch a nice clean hole in harder material (flesh) they also have a tendency to keyhole a bit, making the wound a bit larger. Years ago, some of us here, (and you know who you are, so don't be shy ) myself included,, utilized hollow based wadcutters and reversed them in order to make a flat hollow point. Just food for thought.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Yeah, I'm guilty of loading reversed hollow-based wadcutters. Only thing was, the ballistic "non-tests" I ran on them using both wet and dry phone books, water-filled gallon paper milk cartons (remember those?) and dirt, didn't show that they gave such amazing expansion. At least not consistently for me. Accuracy was better than I expected though, only I probably didn't shoot so hot way back then. Well, even worse than I do now.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

most ranges have reloads that should suffice

Cowboy load 2.4gr Red Dot and 105gr bullit.

Quote Originally Posted by walls View Post
    Could you suggest a 38 sp round with low recoil to teach my mother with.
    4" barrel and full size revolver but, I'd still like to keep it real easy at first.
    Thanks
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links