Overpentration Question

This is a discussion on Overpentration Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a defensive situtation at very close distance to the bg what consideration, if any, should be considered on over penteration and hitting something or ...

Thread: Overpentration Question

Overpentration Question

In a defensive situtation at very close distance to the bg what consideration, if any, should be considered on over penteration and hitting something or someone else in the area. What type of ammo selection considerations should be given for proper expantion at a very close distance. In a .40 S&W, or other calibers, is a heavier 185 gr be better than a lighter 165 or 155gr that has a higher velocity?

2. Remove Ads

Avoid FMJ ammo, older 147 9MMJHP, for a start.

CorBon looks very good in most weights. The PB and DPX both seem to preform well in jello, but jello is just that, not people.

My carry ammo today is CorBon PB in 45, or Federal EFMJ, CorBon DPX in 40, DPX in .38Sp, and CorBon PB, DPX, Federal 9BBPLE+P+, or Speer 115grJHP+P+ in 9MM.

All of the above have performed well in jello when tested by the most knowledgable people in the business.

That said, a lung shot that hits no bones, in a individual who is thin, still may overpenetrate. There are no guarantees. :(

When all is said and done, you buy your ticket and take your chances.;)

DC Founder
    I load Golden Sabers in my .45 for carry. I guess I have never thought of overpenetration striking someone else. I would worry more about a miss if someone were close. I doubt that a GS in .45 going through an average person would have enough energy left to do serious damage to someone unless they were very close and doubt if I would take the shot in the first place with an innocent that close behind the target. Now if it was another BG I would tell everyone I did it on purpose....

Administrator
    Another concern of mine has always been ricochet especially inside of a building like a bank.
    Lots of interior buildings in PGH have miles of ultra-hard, flat surface.
    That is the main reason why I never carry .45 hardball due to the deadly ricochet factor.
    Now I am using Speer Gold Dot HPs because they feed super nice & are decently accurate in all of my pistols from Glock to Colt. I really researched Gold Dot & I am not concerned with overpenetration using Gold Dot. Though overpenetration IS possible with ANY round including .22 - depends on where it hits. Something to always try to be aware of.
    I used to always keep my \"In Chamber\" round a GLASER Safety Slug but got talked out of doing that on another Forum.
    Now my first of 2 spare mags contains all Glaser Safety Slugs just in case I need to do a lightning fast magazine switch to an absolutely non-ricochet bullet.

PGH???

Administrator

PGH

Yep...that\'s what PGH stands for - Pittsburgh. :kay:
    Why do you ask?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I\'ve personally worked on two cases in which overpenetration caused injury to someone. It\'s a real concern.

FMJs penetrate pretty well. That\'s what I\'d use to assure enough penetration in a .32 or .380. In anything spicier, though, I think JHPs are likely to stop in a meat target (or at least to lose so much of their energy that they are not much of threat on the other side). I personally use heavier JHPs because I feel they penetrate better.

Ok back to the pentration question. Would a heaver grain bullet such as 185g, which I would think would pentrated much deeper or over pentrate than a a bullet in the range of 150. Again I guess all of this would be different for each caliber of gun. Interesting discussion anyway.

I guess I should not ask about bullet expantion at a very short range.

I carry 230 Gr Hydra-Shoks, I donít believe in using any kind of frangible ammo. One reason is the stuff is too dam expensive to practice with. If anyone is thinking about it they should read this

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number3/article432.htm

Links