PMC X-TAC 5.56 NATO Green Tip from Korea - any good?

This is a discussion on PMC X-TAC 5.56 NATO Green Tip from Korea - any good? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; since it's slim pickins for ammo, I was wondering if the pmc 5.56 NATO is actually nato specs and if the "green tip" is actually ...

Thread: PMC X-TAC 5.56 NATO Green Tip from Korea - any good?

since it's slim pickins for ammo, I was wondering if the pmc 5.56 NATO is actually nato specs and if the "green tip" is actually steel cored.

are they real or just garbage?

also there were generic white boxes of M193 rounds...neither this nor the PMC has the nato stamp on the bottom--obviously neither were from lake city. don't "m193" and "NATO" need to have the nato stamp?

the head of the m193 says "ppu 1 2" and "5.56 x 45"

head of pmc says "psd" and "1 2"

Green tip is the m855 62 gr standard 5.56 round it was designed to give better penetration when fired in the short barrel faster twist.
    The M193 is a 55gr will work fine in the 16 inch barrel with a 1 in 7 ,8 twist but a little accuracy is lost . You will get some of that back if zero for it.
    The 55gr preformed well in the m16 with a 20 inch barrel and 1 in 12 twist.
    The m855 62 grain works but not as well in a 20 inch 1 in 12
    If your are shooting a AR platform with 16 inch barrel with 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist the m855 62gr green tip is a round you should grab when you can
    The Korean ammo is just fine to use
    Hope i did not confuse you that is why I did not go into the SS109 and the SAW stuff yet.

I've shot tons of PMC in many cartridges. Never a problem. There's nothing magical about Lake City ammo. If you've got a line on some PMC 5.56 m193 or 855 clone or whatever at a decent price, buy it with confidence.

I have shot a few thousand rounds of PMC in 9mm, .45acp, and .223 and have never had an issue with it.

my question is: do these rounds have the same specs as a round marked with the NATO cross?

i dont know if some companies use the green tips just to make people think it's steel cored or use "5.56" to trick people into thinking it's the same specs as NATO

that's a good question. I don't know anyone that has put their calipers to it and chrono'd it yet. I think they advertise their M855 as NATO and/or SS109 spec but as you alluded, anyone can probably say that. PMC does have some DOD ammunition contracts (not 5.56) so perhaps that means they're responsible about adhering to specs they claim to follow. I'll be interested to read responses here from some better informed shooters.

I've seen many postings on AR related sites that users have reported no issues with the XTAC ammo, no experience myself.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

just wondering if their green tips have the same penetration as the NATO-stamped stuff. it wasn't marked m855 or anything, just green-tip LAP (light armor penetrating)

the other generic looking stuff was marked m193..wonder if fragmentation is the same as nato-stamped

Of course it is not marked M855. We give it that name. the international name for the projectile is SS109. yes it has it, just buy some already. Or tell us were it is and we will buy it.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Of course it is not marked M855. We give it that name. the international name for the projectile is SS109. yes it has it, just buy some already. Or tell us were it is and we will buy it.
    well often it will say m855 on the box, it's not just something people call it. it's a specific type of round

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    well often it will say m855 on the box, it's not just something people call it. it's a specific type of round
    Duh!
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Links