Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty - Page 2

Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hornady a video on their website states just that. Critical duty is for barriers. That is definitely something worth pointing out. Duty may aid in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty

Hornady a video on their website states just that. Critical duty is for barriers. That is definitely something worth pointing out. Duty may aid in penetration through heavy seasonal clothing as well.
    HAWKEYE50 likes this.

Critical Duty gets my vote.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...psa3434dbc.jpg
    That is at 5m, 135g. +P, 9mm.
    SHARE THE SHOOTING SPORTS, AND HUNTING WITH YOUR KIDS.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...29138960_o.jpg
    XDM 5.25 9mm/SA SS 1911A1 Loaded/PK380/SS SingleSix

I use the critical duty in my 4" barrel XD-9. When I was looking into the difference, the main thing that I took away was the critical defense was better out of short barrel CCW pistols where round was designed to expand from the the "slower" velocites out of the shorter barrel. Since the Critical Duty was heavier, it needed the longer barrels to get the greater velocity so it would expand. I chose the 135g duty since I liked the heavier bullet for penetration and I carry a gun with the "longer" barrel so the round can achieve the velocity to still open up. If I carried a "pocket gun", then I would go more to the critical defense round.
    Smarshe likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

The +P I picked up yesterday, was my first box of the stronger Duty load. I have been VERY happy with the non +P, and after reading the Reviews, I figured it was worth trying. I only tried 2 rounds, but I was happy with the results. I am sure the rest of them will perform as well. My first 20 are the +P, and the other two mags are the non +P. The price was a little steep, but this is the "NEW NORMAL", Right???
    Smarshe likes this.
    SHARE THE SHOOTING SPORTS, AND HUNTING WITH YOUR KIDS.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...29138960_o.jpg
    XDM 5.25 9mm/SA SS 1911A1 Loaded/PK380/SS SingleSix

I went out yesterday, and tested some of the critical duty in 9mm 135g +p tested with 4 layers of denim and it worked as it should, then I took the pair of jeans and folded them up as if they were put in a drawer(prob like 8 layers) and shot 2 rounds into it, both rounds failed to expand, then i shot some of double taps all copper bullets into this and those did expand, just thought Id try a little stress like test on the rounds, was very disappointed that the critical duty rounds did not expand at all, these were all shot from my G34,.....

Good to know. Thanks.

I'm actually thinking about just going to FMJ with all the expansion variables. I know that's a whole other thread.

I am carrying the Critical Duty in my Glock 36. Its a 220gr +P. i chose it over the Critical Defense because I want the ability to shoot through auto glass in the case I need to shoot through my windshield at a rushing attacker. Federal HST is my close second choice. The CD line feeds well too.

Not sure shooting through your windshield at an attacker is a good idea. After all why wouldn't you just drive away?
    Smarshe and R040607 like this.

If there is someone behind you and your attacker has jumped out of the car in front of you, how are you going to drive away? A bullet moves faster than a car. It happens quite a bit. Be prepared.

Re: Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty

Well I went out today and tried another round of critical duty in.45ACP, tried something different this time, shot into some jugs of water the jugs were four of the ocean spray cranberry juice bottles, results were disappointing... It made it into the third jug and this was the round...
    This next was shot into bare gel...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Smarshe likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links