New loads in Federal's Personal Defense line.

This is a discussion on New loads in Federal's Personal Defense line. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just noticed on Federals website that they are now offering the HST 124gr standard pressure, .40 180gr HST, and .45ACP 230gr HST in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New loads in Federal's Personal Defense line.

I just noticed on Federals website that they are now offering the HST 124gr standard pressure, .40 180gr HST, and .45ACP 230gr HST in the Premium Personal Defense line. When all this ammo shortage nonsense stops, we should be able to get these loads at many LGS. These will be packaged in 20rd boxes rather than the 50rd LE boxes, but I like the option of being able to buy these locally rather having to buy them online only.

I don't save much online. What you save seems to be made up in shipping. What's your experience?

I wish federal would make a 380 HST 102 grain or 105 grain like their excellent 9mm 147. Maybe a 38 special 125 or 110 standard velocity hst round.
    TailRunner likes this.

In general, no, I don't save much by buying online. Over the last couple of years I've been purchasing all my ammo locally.

I'm really happy to see that Federal is now putting HSTs in civilian defense loads.
    A premium bullet is finally replacing the obsolete, sub-premium Hydra-shok (eventually).

HSTs are my first choice.

ETA: About saving money online... I buy self defense rounds in 50 round law enforcement packaging. This way, it is about half the cost of defensive ammo in civilian packaging. 50 rounds of 9mm HSTs were about $27 (before shipping). Hydra-shoks and other defensive rounds in civilian (20-25 round) packaging is about $1/round locally or online.

The one time I FINALLY found a box of 147gr HSTs from a local dealer(this last fall), they were $35 per 50 (plus tax), so you really can save money if you buy enough ammo to offset the shipping costs. SGammo.com is my favorite source for defensive ammo. They had every flavor of HST at a great price before all of the panic buying... I'm sure things will get back to normal later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    I'm really happy to see that Federal is now putting HSTs in civilian defense loads.
    A premium bullet is finally replacing the obsolete, sub-premium Hydra-shok (eventually).

HSTs are my first choice.

ETA: About saving money online... I buy self defense rounds in 50 round law enforcement packaging. This way, it is about half the cost of defensive ammo in civilian packaging. 50 rounds of 9mm HSTs were about $27 (before shipping). Hydra-shoks and other defensive rounds in civilian (20-25 round) packaging is about $1/round locally or online.

The one time I FINALLY found a box of 147gr HSTs from a local dealer(this last fall), they were $35 per 50 (plus tax), so you really can save money if you buy enough ammo to offset the shipping costs. SGammo.com is my favorite source for defensive ammo. They had every flavor of HST at a great price before all of the panic buying... I'm sure things will get back to normal later this year.
    Yes, you certainly do save by buying the LE boxed stuff online, over the 20rd boxes. I was buying Winchester Ranger 147gr at gun shows for awhile. I saved money that way by not having to pay shipping, and after tax I was still paying the same asking price as online. It's hard to find any LE boxes even at shows now, which I've stopped going to since the election. As for buying FMJ practice ammo, there isn't much savings by buying online for me. I just wait for sales at local places and buy then.

I'm to the point now that I just prefer to keep my money in the local economy, Lord knows we need it.

The shipping is a killer buying online, but I do like being able to get 50rd boxes of JHPs and also having access to ammo that I can't get in stores locally. I don't know any retailer in DFW that stocks HSTs in any caliber. Really what it comes down to is that you have to make a big buy to really see the benefit of the online prices, think economies of scale.

Picked up a 50 round box of JHP at my LGS for 34.95 Hyper (HPR) brand using Hornady bullets! Not a bad deal!

Quote Originally Posted by lamerem View Post
    Picked up a 50 round box of JHP at my LGS for 34.95 Hyper (HPR) brand using Hornady bullets! Not a bad deal!

Hornady XTPs are decent bullets and reasonably priced, but they aren't what I would consider a 'premium' bullet.
    HSTs are less than $30 per 50 online.

Quote Originally Posted by lamerem View Post
    You can get XTP rounds here as well - for less, but you have to wait a bit -

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ot-review.html

Who came up with the Magic number of twenty rounds for SD rounds sold in stores?

In gun friendly states that number will fill just one magazine with perhaps two to three rounds left over for your second mag, if we are talking 9mm.Here in Cali, it doesn't matter since magazine capacity for civilians is limited to 10rds, regardless of caliber. The best Defensive ammo one would see out here is Hydra shok in a 20rd box. I never seen Gold dots or HST in any stores or ranges, I did manage to get a 50rd box of Ranger T at my range last year.

They should at least sell 25rd boxes.

I think the issue is that they price good SD rounds so high that if they sold them in 50 round boxes people would never buy them. Could you imagine 50 rounds of gold dot tipping the scales at $70-$80. So they package them in 20 round boxes and it becomes somewhat more affordable.

I make it a priority to put 20-50 rounds of what ever I carry down range for accuracy and functionality. So for me it gets quite expensive. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this. That being said if I'm out somewhere and see ammo I haven't shot through my EDC, I'll buy a box for testing. So far no failures from my Shield 40.

I run everything from 155g through 180g. I seriously test and practice with 180g because I carry the heaviest for caliber at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by cocojo View Post
    I wish federal would make a 380 HST 102 grain or 105 grain like their excellent 9mm 147. Maybe a 38 special 125 or 110 standard velocity hst round.

Do you mean this stuff? The picture is just a photohack of a 9mm HST picture I had.

If they made it, I would test it. I would generally be surprised if they did make a light HST bullet because the Hydra-Shok is one of the best performing 380 loads in my testing. Maybe they don't want to risk a possible performance downgrade.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Who came up with the Magic number of twenty rounds for SD rounds sold in stores?
    The marketing team. The smaller your packages, the more they can charge per round. Think of how expensive small packages of something are per ounce compared to a Costco size container. LE ammo is sold in 50rds because the orders are usually bulk (several cases).

Plus, when people have double stack handguns and have a second magazine, they HAVE to buy another box to fill that magazine. Now the ammo company/seller sells $40+ of product.

When HSTs hit the shelves in civilian packaging, they will be in 20-25 round packaging and about $1 per round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links