Ammo supply update good news!! - Page 3

Ammo supply update good news!!

This is a discussion on Ammo supply update good news!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've purchased 5.56/223 3 times now in the last 2 weeks at my local Walmart and they've had a fairly regular supply of 9mm, 40, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ammo supply update good news!!

I've purchased 5.56/223 3 times now in the last 2 weeks at my local Walmart and they've had a fairly regular supply of 9mm, 40, and 45acp for over a month. 2 of my local gun shops regularly get 5.56 and 7.62x39 (they're still charging at least twice the pre December prices unlike Wmart though). the LGS's never went out of stock on any standard pistol calibers here either. I've only seen 22lr once since December though.

Louisville, KY.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I saw a new style TulAmmo today for the first time.

Made it Italy TulAmmo BRASS-MAX 50-r boxes of 223 FMJ-BT for $15.97. They are brass with non-corrosive boxer primers. The necks were very heat-tarnished. I didn't buy it because I wouldn't buy the Russian stuff but these are made in Italy and use brass, but like I said the necks are really tarnished. I could have bought the last 17 boxes. I could call and the guy at the LGShtore would save them for me and go back and get what ever is left; if they are not as bad as the Russian made ammo. The guy couldn't tell ma anything about the TulAmmo BRASS-MAX except that they are mad in Italy because he hasn't ever seen it or fired any of them.

I did get the last 5 boxes of AE357mag JSP for $24.99 for 50-r, and the last 9 boxes of PPU 5.56NATO FMJ-BT made in Serbia for $6.89 for 20-r. Never saw the PPU but the brass is shiny clean and they have brass primers so I bought it. I got it also because it's the first 5.56NATO I've seen at a reasonable price since the middle of last Dec.

Question:
    A) anyone have any expereance with the PPU / should I have passed

B) anyone have any expereance with the TulAmmo BRASS-MAX Made in Italy / should I have bought it
    PPU is Prvi Partizan out of Serbia. I buy that ammunition EVERY time I can find it, it's good stuff!! Seriously, every box of Prvi that I've shot has given me near match quality, highly accurate, clean burning and great overall performance!

The "tarnishing" around the case neck is just where the brass was annealed to make it less brittle in the loading process. The annealing process, since it heats the case neck, causes the brass to discolor--it doesn't alter the functionality of the ammunition in any way. If the TulAmmo is in fact brass cased and doesn't have corrosive primers, I probably would've bought some just to give it a go. It's kind of funny, most of the old Soviet ammunition makers are out of necessity, branching out into the civilian ammunition market, much like the AK manufacturers, most of their sales are now civilian sales. If the TulAmmo is in fact brass cased and not just brass washed steel, then I'd pick up a couple of boxes to see how it functions.

I know our Cabela's is slowly getting ammuntion in, they've also instituted limits on the amount of ammunition you may buy in one trip and on the amount of components one may purchase on a single visit. I did find some Herter's 158grain .357 magnum FMJ on the shelves. Having researched Herter's, it's now almost the "Cabela's House Brand" of ammunition, I knew the various calibers in the Herter's line up are made at different plants around the world. This .357 mag ammo was bade by Sellier & Bellot. If you do find Herter's check the head stamp and check the box, it should let you know where it's manufactured.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Are we borrowing more money from China to buy ammo used to kill American citizens? Nice job federal government!!!

Balance the budget first you idiots!!!!

Signed,
    Evil Terrorist that believes in the Constitution

P.S. Shelves bare in North Ga and bullets, small primers almost completely unavailable. Shooting in matches and they're already reducing the round counts of the stages and attendance is down due to lack of ammo. Some are competing with cheap steel case ammo.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Went to the local Wal-Mart today and they have less than they did two weeks ago. The guns are diminishing as well. I didn't see the 30-30 Marlin I had been eyeing for some time. If you need 30.06, 7mm, .243, a box of .17 HMR, .22 shorts (very limited) or some shotgun shells then you're good to go. If you need anything else, keep on looking.

Ammo is coming back on the shelves here, but from what the owners of the shops I frequent are telling me, they are just now getting the stuff they ordered before all of this nonsense.

You've got to hit walmart early in the morning, my local walmart gets ammo about once a week and I've been fortunate the last three weeks and have been able to purchase 9 boxes of 9mm, the three I bought this morning were the 100 rnd boxes of federal.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Still pretty thin pickings in Metro Atlanta

However I did run into the owner of a very large gun store here in the Atlanta area and asked him about supplies .

He indicated that his store was limiting purchases (in this case 9mm) to two boxes (50 rounds a piece ) per customer, because they had people purchasing entire pallets of ammo which was frustrating his "normal" customers.

I appreciated his concern for us regular guys out there who just want a little ammo to practice with. Went down that afternoon and purchased my two boxes of range quality 9mm. I have enough defensive quality ammo (Speer Gold Dot 147 grain 9MM JHP) for my carry weapons.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Still pretty thin pickings in Metro Atlanta

However I did run into the owner of a very large gun store here in the Atlanta area and asked him about supplies .

He indicated that his store was limiting purchases (in this case 9mm) to two boxes (50 rounds a piece ) per customer, because they had people purchasing entire pallets of ammo which was frustrating his "normal" customers.

I appreciated his concern for us regular guys out there who just want a little ammo to practice with. Went down that afternoon and purchased my two boxes of range quality 9mm. I have enough defensive quality ammo (Speer Gold Dot 147 grain 9MM JHP) for my carry weapons.
    I wont name the business but one of the local shops here has a picture of Alex Jones and his people with their surplus duece and half that he loaded with pallets of 5.56 ammo during the last panic buying. I found it quite amusing that the guy who was driving some of the panic buying was also the reason I could not get the ammo I wanted. In my neighborhood there would have been no shortage of 5.56 had it not been for Jones.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Walmart in Pewaukee only has 12 ga.
    I spoke to the manager and he told me the larger stores were going to get more selection. Sounds like it will be some time for Walmart to get back to any type of normal. BUT the gun stores around here ( SE WI ) have good selections execpt for 22LR. Prices range from "reasonable" to "are you kiddin me" and the better stores have limits. Reloading supplies are very low but there are some powders, primers and bullets out there.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I was able to pick up two 20-rnd packs of 5.56 at a LGS, but they had just gotten a new shipment in. They said that they're starting to get a lot more of that available, but 9mm is still Rare. I also picked up a 50-rnd box of PPU ammo in .45, which I haven't shot before, so I'll have to see how it goes. I'm slowing adding to my supply, but I still haven't seen any 9mm or .22LR around here.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I was able to score 3 boxes of Federal .45 at our local Walmart just last night. That hasn't happened in a while and is a very encouraging sign. There were also 250 rnd boxes of UMC at Dunham's, but my gun isn't as accurate with that so I left it there for someone who might like it better. Ironically, I had just bought a bunch of ammo online from Natchez Shooting Supplies. Oh, well. That's how it goes!

Distinguished Member
    Gosh, it must be nice to just walk in and find ammo on the shelves. Sure as hell isn't on any shelves around here. Is all the ammo going to the eastern states or what? I'm in Texas.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

i am stoked had some ammo saved over for rainy days like these, but i got 4 boxes of federal 155 gr 40s and 4 boxes of winchester 12 gauge today after work. nice way to end a work day. going shooting this weekend with my daughter again for sure!

It's amazing how a few boxes of ammo now can have you feeling like it's Christmas. Ah, life's simple pleasures...

Still thin here in the Baton Rouge area. The handgun ammo section in Bass Pro, Cabelas, Academy and Walmart stay pretty much empty. LGS has S&B 9mm 115gr ball ammo for $15 a box (limit 3) and I found 300 small rifle primers ($5/100) as well. Normally I won't buy primers in quantities smaller than 1000, but today was the first time i've seen any primers of of any kind except shotgun. I jumped on them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links