Defensive Carry banner

denim, leather, and winter coats, how much do they effect a shot?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  OldVet 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any specific info/testing done on this with handguns?
I've looked at the Box of Truth website. Interesting stuff.
I was looking specifically for 22lr scenarios.

I would think with a 22lr + short barrel, even at 10 ft, a layer of leather and winter jacket could have a dramatic affect.
I don't believe it will act as Kevlar, don't get me wrong.
I'd like to see some numbers though just for kicks.

#3 ·
I see a lot of talk about defensive round penetration and FBI ballistic requirements and I'm wondering how much effect clothing would potentially have.

The gel tests I've seen, either use denim or don't. I've never seen a comparison between the two.

It seems as though clothing can and does limit how a hollow point expands.

I'm just wondering if it can affect penetration.

#4 ·
Havent you guys heard about the new GI issue blue jeans and leather jackets? No more need for kevlar!

You havent heard? Oh, thats odd....

:wink:

Seriously though, It MAY fill up a hollow point cavity, but its not going to slow down or stop a round by any significant amount.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#6 ·
Does anyone have any specific info/testing done on this with handguns?
I've looked at the Box of Truth website. Interesting stuff.
I was looking specifically for 22lr scenarios but, any of the smaller calibers would be of interest.

I would think with a 22lr + short barrel, even at 10 ft, a layer of leather and winter jacket could have a dramatic affect.
I don't believe it will act as Kevlar, don't get me wrong.
I'd like to see some numbers though just for kicks.

Funny you should ask....indeed I do. This was the first test of many more that will follow throughout 2013 and possibly beyond. I decided to start this testing off with what I thought would be the least impacted round available and even it was substantially impacted. .22 will get done at some point, but I'm going to start with my preferred carry rounds because I'd like to see what I've been placing my faith and trust in. What that means is a heavy weighting on .380, 9mm, and .45 ACP in the Spring.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Speer Gold Dot .357 Magnum 125 Grain Clear Gel Test

Pocket Guns and Gear: Speer Gold Dot .357 Magnum 125 Grain Stress Test

#7 ·
The more it affects expansion, the less it affects penetration. Put the bullet where it needs to be and don't sweat the small stuff.

Reactions: gatorbait51
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.