Speer Gold Dot vs. Hornady XTP bullets?

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dot vs. Hornady XTP bullets? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I talked to Black HIlls ammo, they said their new 9MM +p rounds are loaded with Hornady XTPs, but until this spring, they were ...

Hello, I talked to Black HIlls ammo, they said their new 9MM +p rounds are loaded with Hornady XTPs, but until this spring, they were loaded with Speer Gold dots. I have heard good thing about the Bonded Speers, and the guy at Black Hills said that the XTP was a very tough bullet. I saw a couple tests were it looked like the Speer retained bullet weight better, as it wouldn't shed the jacket like the Hornady did on occasion.

Shooting into some wood last weekend, I recovered 3 bullets, a 115 gr. FMJ, a 115 gr. Speer, and a 124 gr. Speer, the 124 looked nearly perfect, the FMJ had it's tip pushed over at an angle, and the 115 had a dented head, but the tip was full of wood, so they didn't expand.

Shooting through an old pickup box (car tests!), both the 115 and 124 +ps went through all 4 layers, and out the other side, while the 115 FMJ went through 3 and made a good dent in the 4th, I recovered the FMJ and the 115, the FMJ was in pieces, while the Speer Gold Dot 115 was a textbook mushroom, and looked complete. I couldn't find the 124, but judging by the exit hole, it expanded as well.

In any case, I like the Black Hills Ammo, it feels quite hot, rated at 1300 fps in the 115, and 1250 in the 124 +ps, but if I don't hear good things about the XTPs, I'll probably look for Speer Bullets.

One last thing, one local shop has about 15 boxes of 50 rounds each, of teh Black Hills 115 +p, with Speer bullets, but the rounds are shorter, by about an 1/8" of an inch than the 124s I had used. Is there anything I should be aware of with the shorter cartridge? They seem to shoot well, and feed fine, no failures, but is there any reason why I should have a longer load? Or should I slowly buy all those boxes of 115 Speers? I don't think shelf life should be a factor, as long as they don't sit around in a humid environment for 10 years, correct? Thanks for your opinions, Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

VIP Member
    you like em buy em, that is not a great amount of ammo and you'll shoot them up faster than you think.

Assistant Administrator
    I fancy the GD's will work better at lower handgun velocities and personally would choose those.

I load XTP's in .454 rounds and they would be good too I think for .44 mag but seems to me for them to work at best (and they can be mighty effective) then they need to hit real hard.

These samples were 124's I shot out of a lil old R9 into wetpack - I like their pretty uniform and efficient expansion potential.

I say ''potential'' as there would be many variables normally of course. 115's look all but the same BTW.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I reload my carry ammo with Speer 124 for 9 mm and 135 for 38 spl. I don't know about the XTP but I do know that I can depend on the Speer's. My opinion is "If it Ain't broke don't fix it" Of course P95 has pictures and data to back him up.
    Last edited by pgrass101; October 27th, 2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Because P95 is a pro!

That's exactly how all the Speers I've ever recovered turned out as well. I Think I'll stick with Speers, in whichever brand I can get them... I would like to support my "local" company, but I'll use whatever is available. Thanks for the Pics, P95, good info as always! Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I've killed lots of animals using XTP's of different calibers over the years. 38special,44special,44mag,45LC,45ACP,and 454 Casull. The XPT's have been very impressive.

Now in Fla.,I hunt with a Beretta Storm using the 230gr. XTP +P(#9096). I have put several through some medium sized hogs(180-225lbs) at the shorter(10ft-45yds)ranges. This loading has worked great for the intended purposes.

If any concerns about the XTP's,it would be with over penetration in a human target. I do not use them in my CCW. --------

The XTP is a good bullet and deep penatrater. It wll cary the mail to the vitals 14" and deeper. I would be happy with any XTP Bullet.

IMO, the XTP is more a hunting bullet than one used for defense against two-leggers. There are better designs out there to pick from: DPX, Golden Saber, Gold Dot, HST, etc..

Dead

Here lately, I have relied on Hornady's 200 grain T.A.P. JHP's in all
    my 1911's; and the XTP bullets feed very well.

If you like gold dots better then look at doubletapammo.com They offer GD bullets in their ammo.

Links