Why not carry with reloads?

This is a discussion on Why not carry with reloads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a number of comments in various threads / forums where there seems to be an aversion to carrying reloads for self defense. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Why not carry with reloads?

Why not carry with reloads?

I've seen a number of comments in various threads / forums where there seems to be an aversion to carrying reloads for self defense.

I've been reloading for my hunting rifles for years and can produce reloads that are, far superior than factory ammo. They are much more accurate and I have never ever had a failure to fead or fire. I'm just now getting back into pistol shooting, primarily for SD, and simply don't understand what seems to be a universal aversion to carrying reloads?

Can someone please explain?

Thanks
    firstshot

2. Remove Ads

Legal issues being the biggest issue from what I get out of it. Should you end up on trial, criminal/civil, the opposing attroney asks you if "regular" bullets weren't deadly enough that you had to make your extra deadlier boolits! Is there any logic in that? Not to me there isn't.

What I decided for myself in this regard was that my EDC has factory SD rounds. Other home defense pistols have factory HPs in them. Plus the "top layer" of the ammo box has factory SD rounds. Under that is a decent supply of reloaded SD rounds. I figure if things get to that point I no longer care what some illogical lawyer thinks about my choice of ammunition.

A good shoot, will be a good shoot, no matter the ammunition source. You will have a lawyer trying to wear you out on it though, so you make the decision. Is it worth it?

Be safe.
    USM1976 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Senior Moderator
    Maybe it is just me but I onetime reloaded a whole batch of .38spl with the primers in upside down.

I didn't notice this until I showed up for an IDPA match with my reloads and they went "click"

I usually check carefully but this batch I just screwed up on.

I practice with reloads and carry factory ammo
    TX expat and USM1976 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I agree with the others.

What I would ask myself is this; what's the benefit to carrying reloads? I only carry Ranger T or HST SD rounds. Both rounds have been critically studied more ways than I could ever hope to do on my own. Both are proven SD rounds. Could I reload a round that would be just as effective? Maybe. Would I trust my life to a 'maybe'? Nope.

Even in the great ammo drought, good SD rounds can be had, although you may not get as many to test with as when ammo was more plentiful and didn't come with an order limit. I'd carry my own reloads for SD if my choices were reloads or not carrying at all; other than that, there's no reason to open up the addition risk.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I have to defend myself, I wouldn't hesitate to use either commercial or reloaded ammo. My "preference" would be the commercial as my reloads are typically LRNs loaded to mid-power levels, hardly the "more deadly bullets" eveyone also wants to quote some DA as saying. And if it were to come to that, I believe any decent defense lawyer could make the DA's point look rediculous. I'll use whatever I need to use to protect myself.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I carry factory ammo, if I needed to, I would not be afraid of my reloaded ammo. I build my ammo to the specs in several books.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by firstshot425 View Post
    I've seen a number of comments in various threads / forums where there seems to be an aversion to carrying reloads for self defense.

I've been reloading for my hunting rifles for years and can produce reloads that are, far superior than factory ammo. They are much more accurate and I have never ever had a failure to fead or fire. I'm just now getting back into pistol shooting, primarily for SD, and simply don't understand what seems to be a universal aversion to carrying reloads?

Can someone please explain?

Thanks
    firstshot
    I carry MY handloads in everything but what I can't (22LR). I can produce what is needed, when it's needed.

Terry

New Member Array buffalosabres61's Avatar
    The two issues that the great Massad Ayoob argues (and I don't mean this in a negative context, he is my idol) are the following:

The prosecuting DA will argue that you made more deadly bullets just to kill this guy (as previously mentioned - no logic, but to your peers - the jury - they will consider it)

The other issue is because your ammo is not standardized to a manufacturer's specification, if you have to argue distance of the perp (Think Tueller drill and 21 feet), they can use gun powder residue against you. Your reloads may not deposit powder similar to common makes of ammo. So, they can argue you were closer or farther to your target than you say because it doesn't match the everyday standard.

My two cents: by using reloads, you GIVE UP the defense of saying "well, I use what the NYPD uses, because they know its the best in the world"

Internet hyperbole and misunderstanding. I use my handloads all the time.

I have sat thru enough court proceedings to know the difference, and so does every attorney and prosecutor I have spoken with about it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Handloads vs reloads
    ^ Distinction between using all new components vs fired brass.

I have a Glock 30 SF that prefers (reliability and recoil control) my 185 gr. Hornady XTP handload, which duplicates factory velocity.
    I carry that pistol with my handload, which is made from all new components.
    I load on a single stage press and re-check with a frequency that would resemble OCD.
    I see no difference between my handload and new ammo.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Carry reloads if you want. For me, I want the highest possible reliability in the rounds I carry in my EDC. I'll fire reloads all day at the range, but why take a chance when carrying since you'd only need them in the direst of circumstances? I look at it this way, I have Hornady Critical Defense is my EDC firearm, and expect I'll never use them. But I load cheapo and reloads for the range.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalosabres61 View Post
    The two issues that the great Massad Ayoob argues (and I don't mean this in a negative context, he is my idol) are the following:

The prosecuting DA will argue that you made more deadly bullets just to kill this guy (as previously mentioned - no logic, but to your peers - the jury - they will consider it)

The other issue is because your ammo is not standardized to a manufacturer's specification, if you have to argue distance of the perp (Think Tueller drill and 21 feet), they can use gun powder residue against you. Your reloads may not deposit powder similar to common makes of ammo. So, they can argue you were closer or farther to your target than you say because it doesn't match the everyday standard.

My two cents: by using reloads, you GIVE UP the defense of saying "well, I use what the NYPD uses, because they know its the best in the world"
    My reloads deposit powder similar to the rest of my reloads, which any forensic expert would compare against, not against some "other" round. What reasoning in anyone's mind would call for comparing my reloads against Federal Hydr-Shoks? What DA would think my mid-power range reloads would be deadlier than Black Talons or Zombie killers?

The state of FL says I can use deadly force, nowhere does it state I can use deadly force only with Brand "X" ammunition.
    Sledge and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    For me, I want the highest possible reliability in the rounds I carry in my EDC.
    That's why I load and carry my own. TomAto, TomAHto.

Terry

KoriBustard: For me, I want the highest possible reliability in the rounds I carry in my EDC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exsimguy1 View Post
    That's why I load and carry my own. TomAto, TomAHto.

Terry
    Thanks for the feedback, but I agree with Terry. I too want the highest possible reliability in the rounds I carry.

OK... so what I'm hering is basically two reasons NOT to carry your reloads:
    1. Reliability and 2. Potential legal issues (not neccessarily in that order)

As far as reliability goes, I trust my own handloads a lot more than I do any mass produced ammo. I weigh out every bullet and every powder charge, use good brass (new brass makes a lot of sense for carry ammo) and the best primers I can get..... and, LOL, I have never loaded any primers upside down :-).

As far the legas aspect gos,... well, I'm no lawyer, so this is something I will definitely look into a little further; however, if I am put into a life & death situation protecting myself and/or my family, I don't think this will be at the top of my list of concerns at that moment.

I think it is of great benefit to shoot (spelled carry) what you practice with. No change in impact, no change in recoil, etc. That is why I'd rather carry the same rounds that I practice with at the range all the time, which, in my situation will be my reloads.

I will check further in the "Legal Implications" of using reloads for SD here in Texas but would still like to hear others opinions on this aspect.

Thanks
    firstshot
    pgrass101 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links