Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II

This is a discussion on Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ponchaz Hey just wondering your is your Kimber goverment size or cammander size like my pro carry II? My Kimber is a ...

View Poll Results: Which Round do you think is best for a 45 defense carry with a 4 in barell?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fed Personal Defense 230gr (blue box)

2 3.51%
  • Rem Gold Dot 185gr +P

4 7.02%
  • Fed Prem HST 230gr +P

25 43.86%
  • Speer Gold Dot 200gr +P

15 26.32%
  • Grizzly Extrems 175gr +P

0 0%
  • Hornady Citical Duty 220gr +P

14 24.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by ponchaz View Post
    Hey just wondering your is your Kimber goverment size or cammander size like my pro carry II?
    My Kimber is a Custom II Stainless. Pretty ho-hum. Only mod is the sights, had a set of Meprolights installed.

My Government size 1911 carries just as well as my Glock 19, my SIG 229, or anything else I have.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    My Kimber is a Custom II Stainless. Pretty ho-hum. Only mod is the sights, had a set of Meprolights installed.

My Government size 1911 carries just as well as my Glock 19, my SIG 229, or anything else I have.
    Nice. Was looking at that one my self but felt too noise heavy for me. so I ended up with the pro carry II stainless and the 2 mods i got going are I have changed the recoil spring to a wolff spring and put on a crimson trace laser grip.

I have no real world experience to support my decision, but my NRA-certified, FFL-holding, gunshop and shooting range-owning buddy recommends Hornady Critical Defense, so all of my carry ammo is Critical Defense.

I didn't vote; 5 out of your 6 choices are +P rounds, and I just don't see the need for +P in .45. It takes that much longer to get the gun back on target for follow-up shots, and I haven't seen any real-world reports that make me feel under-gunned with 230-grain JHPs or even good ol' FMJ.

Careful with that Serpa holster, though - mind your trigger finger. Don't be like this guy who had your exact same rig -

Original Upload, I Just Shot Myself! - YouTube
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I carry Winchester Ranger-T or Federal HST. Both 230gr standard pressure.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I didn't vote; 5 out of your 6 choices are +P rounds, and I just don't see the need for +P in .45. It takes that much longer to get the gun back on target for follow-up shots, and I haven't seen any real-world reports that make me feel under-gunned with 230-grain JHPs or even good ol' FMJ.

Careful with that Serpa holster, though - mind your trigger finger. Don't be like this guy who had your exact same rig -

Original Upload, I Just Shot Myself! - YouTube
    hhhmmm never concider use fmj as a defensive carry round. I might concider that as well. as for the the video link. yeah I have been taught to never put your finger on the tiger till you intend to pull it and Practice that everday i carry and everytime i go to the range so i dont have some thing like that happen.

This is a tough one! I really like the Federal HST, but I didn't have any available when I first got my pistol so I went with my equal choice, Hornady Critical Duty. No clogging and easy feeding.

I have found thru trial and error that Remington 230 gr. Golden Sabers function best in my 3" 1911. A Chrono check showed an average of 800 fps, and the rounded nose of the hp bullet feeds smoothly in operation. It's my EDC.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have 3 Kimbers, 3", 4" and fullsize. My SD round is CorBon DPX 185 +P. Accurate and reliable, made in USA. I have a good stock of them in .45 and 9mm. Good thing too, they are hard to find.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

In a day and time when there were more choices for experimentation, my Glock 30 fed and shot Speer 230gr GDHP short barrel (good expansion in my testing) or Remington-UMC 230gr JHP best, the 1970's production Lightweight Commander liked Winchester 185gr JHP Silvertips or the Remington-UMC 230gr JHP, the replacement Commander feeds and shoots Federal 230gr JHP-HST or the 185gr Silvertips. All three pistols would feed and shoot almost any brand of 230gr round nose FMJ reliably.

From previous comments regarding your list of maybes, agree that 45ACP +P is probably unnecessary (and may be detrimental given your noted experience with recoil).

Most important: From available ammunition, what feeds and shoots well in your pistol and your hand AND you are NOT unarmed loaded with 45ACP 230gr ball.

Hope this helps your deliberations.

I'd go with one of these: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

As people have already mentioned, I would get whatever feeds reliably and shoots well in your Kimber.

I know my S&W 1911 didn't like Ranger-T's but LOVES Speer Gold Dot's (230 gr standard Pressure).

I use Federal HST as my defensive round in my .45 acps and my 9mm how ever I use hornady zombie max for my .38 spl I like the federal most only reason im carrying zombie max is bec of it was the only JHP's I could find for my .38 but I also like the critical duty id trust either of the two with the life of my loved ones and myself

Well for what it is worth I use Speer Gold Dot 230 grain. I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP. I use Speer because it shoots well out of my gun.
    I Love Guns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rawdawg1217 View Post
    I use Federal HST as my defensive round in my .45 acps and my 9mm how ever I use hornady zombie max for my .38 spl I like the federal most only reason im carrying zombie max is bec of it was the only JHP's I could find for my .38 but I also like the critical duty id trust either of the two with the life of my loved ones and myself
    Well you better get something else for your .38 because if you get in a shotting with them zombie max rounds in your pistal. Even though it might be a true selfdefense shotting but because you got the Zombie max rounds in instead of something with a "defense title" in it or just jhp on the ammo box. You will be going to jail for man sloder because of them trying to be politaclly correct on something that doesn't need that bull ****. BECAUSE that ammo being called the zombie max round. Its ment for the use with zombies only. Which is stupied. Idk how many cause of someone going to jail for it is but this is what I was told by my local gun shop where I normally buy my guns at and because of it they refuse to carry it as a defense ammo like they used too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I have 3 Kimbers, 3", 4" and fullsize. My SD round is CorBon DPX 185 +P. Accurate and reliable, made in USA. I have a good stock of them in .45 and 9mm. Good thing too, they are hard to find.
    Yeah I have been hearing a lot of good things about the DPX round but its so hard to find that I didn't concider it but if I come across some I will have to get it and see how it shoots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links