Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II

Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II

This is a discussion on Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a kimber Pro Carry II which has a 4 in barrell and love how it shots on the range for the most part ...

View Poll Results: Which Round do you think is best for a 45 defense carry with a 4 in barell?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fed Personal Defense 230gr (blue box)

2 3.51%
  • Rem Gold Dot 185gr +P

4 7.02%
  • Fed Prem HST 230gr +P

25 43.86%
  • Speer Gold Dot 200gr +P

15 26.32%
  • Grizzly Extrems 175gr +P

0 0%
  • Hornady Citical Duty 220gr +P

14 24.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II

Question Trying to decide on my 45 carry round for my New Kimber Pro Carry II

I own a kimber Pro Carry II which has a 4 in barrell and love how it shots on the range for the most part with the 230gr fmj but the recoil is a little more then I like I got on order a different recoil spring from wolff that Im gonna try out to see if it helps. But anyways thats not what im writing this for. Im trying to figure out what will be my perminet carry round. I have spent alot of time research different jhp for my 45acp but still not sure on which one I have come up of a list of possables but would like input on what you guys think.

My list of maybes:

*Fed Personal Defense 230gr jhp (blue box)(current temp carry round) I have shot some of these and at a 230gr out of my comander size 1911 has a little my kick then I like.

*Rem Gold Dot 185gr jhp +P (yet to shot any but liked the 40 cal back when I had my glock 22)

*Fed Prem HST 230gr +P

*Speer Gold Dot 200gr +P

*Grizzly Extrems 175gr +P (posable but expensive as hell)

*Honady Critical Duty 220gr +P

Well there are my runner ups in my picking a permint carry round. any onwer of a 1911 comander size please chime in and let me know what you think. Please leave your top 2 picks or top pick out of my list in my posted poll. Thanks Ponchaz

At this point, whatever you are lucky enough to find will have to do.

I run 230 grain HST in my Kimber. Standard pressure. I may be wrong, but I don't think +P is necessary for a 45.
    glockman10mm likes this.

well thats the thing i have been able to find all 6 ether in stores or online through 3 different ammo sights.

I use 230gr speer in my ruger sr1911 government
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post

I run 230 grain HST in my Kimber. Standard pressure. I may be wrong, but I don't think +P is necessary for a 45.
    That about sums it up.

None of the above. I agree on the Speer Gold Dot 230 gr standard pressure.
    oldnfat likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I didn't vote, because the issue is completely unworthy of that much thought or space.

Simply anything 230 weight, standard velocity. HP or ball.

Now you can concentrate on more important things like holster selection, and training.

Edit to add; please don't think I am saying your question was unworthy or stupid, because that's not my intent.
    gasmitty and Cuda66 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I like the Hornady. but they are all good. Hornady is on the shelf at the LGS and it is not priced to bad.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I always preferred 200 gr +p gold dots out of my pro carry 2. Just a personal thing, but out a 4" barrel I felt better with a little more velocity.

I did not like the 185gr remingtons though, it threw a massive ball of fire out of the barrel. Not the best thing for SD ammo in my opinion.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I didn't vote, because the issue is completely unworthy of that much thought or space.

Simply anything 230 weight, standard velocity. HP or ball.

Now you can concentrate on more important things like holster selection, and training.

Maybe I am over thinking it. But personal... I would rather over think the issue then under think about it and end up trusting my life and life of love ones and friends to a SD ammo that isnt able to do the task at hand. Because i vaule their lives enough to take the time to think about the "What if this happened when I'm aound. Would this be enough to protect them?". Yeah I know the chances of me having to draw my wepon in a defensive maner most likely wont happen. But I in matters like this. I kinda live by the saying "I would rather have it and not need it. Then need it and not have it." -unkown-

as for my holster I use a BlackHawk Sepra for my ever day carry and conceled carry. For my training i do alot of practice drawing it from my holst(with it being loaded training rounds) and have myself setup for CCW class so I can get my ccw. Even though the state of AZ dont require it for concelled carrey.

I use Federal HST as my defensive round in 9mm, and Speer Gold Dot in .40 and .45. Why those choices? Because that's what I could find at the LGS on the day that I went shopping. I heard years ago that the best answer to the "ammo question" is to choose any one of the premium defensive rounds, make sure it cycles reliably in your pistol, and then just carry it. That idea makes a lot of sense to me.

On the plus side - you're already carrying a .45 and while ammunition manufacturers spend a huge amount of money trying to get small bullets to expand, your big bullets are never going to shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I always preferred 200 gr +p gold dots out of my pro carry 2. Just a personal thing, but out a 4" barrel I felt better with a little more velocity.

I did not like the 185gr remingtons though, it threw a massive ball of fire out of the barrel. Not the best thing for SD ammo in my opinion.
    Thanks for that heads up on that fire ball. Yeah i agrea not a good thing but I think all ammo does that to a dagrea when shooting it. Which is only noticable when shooting in the dark or low light times.

one more thing smolck awesome pic lol

Hey just wondering your is your Kimber goverment size or cammander size like my pro carry II?

it may not be necessary to use +P but i like the idea of having more pop on a perp. just saying.
    ponchaz likes this.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    it may not be necessary to use +P but i like the idea of having more pop on a perp. just saying.
    thats kinda how I feel. Plus since my Kimber Pro Carry II has a 4in barel and not the 5in one. I thought the extra pop would be a good thing help get round to speed better cause of the shorter barel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links