Ammo availability

This is a discussion on Ammo availability within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When the s... hits the fan what will be the most reaily available ammunition of these three 1)9mm 2)40s&w 3)45acp I am concerned with ammo ...

Thread: Ammo availability

Ammo availability

When the s... hits the fan what will be the most reaily available ammunition of these three 1)9mm 2)40s&w 3)45acp I am concerned with ammo availability as a whole, bought,given,stolen or just plain Available

2. Remove Ads

Going strictly by recent events I am going to say .40 caliber. At Wal-mart and all the LGS, 9mm was the first to go, followed by .45. The only thing on the shelves for weeks was .40.

Now if you are planning on stealing it, 9mm is the most abundant ammo in the world...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by rrubydoo1 View Post
    When the s... hits the fan what will be the most reaily available ammunition of these three 1)9mm 2)40s&w 3)45acp I am concerned with ammo availability as a whole, bought,given,stolen or just plain Available
    Well Mr. Van Winkle,

Since the SHTF on Dec, 15th, 40S&W has been by far the most available ammo, Range or SD.

Sincerely,

Everyone else who didn't sleep through the last 7 weeks.

This is meant to be funny, not mean, so don't be offended. I just wish I had a .40.....

Thanks. I do Not steal But one does not know what they are capable of for survival. I suppose with the 9mm it is everywhere, 45acp kind of old school. I am a fan of the 40S&W but own a few 9mm though. Been thinking about this. Do you think powder,lead and just reloading supplies in general will be hard to come by???

Van Winkle??? Be nice. One must ask questions to gain knowladge. I do not know everything but I sure am not ashamed to ask and who knows if I keep asking questions and getting answers I possibly one day can stop asking because I will know all. The dumb question(s) is/are the one(s) not asked.I ask alot of questions, maybe that is how I am retired at 50yrs old. Got my mining engineering dagree while working full time as general underground mine foreman in 4yrs so please be nice I am learning,how bout you

Sadly the town i live in,has only 2 places that sells ammo.It seems here the 40s were the last to go.I went to walmart yesterday,they had some 45 practice rds.I thought it was an illusion,lol.

Sorry bout my reply I just read to the bottom. My bad I jumped the gun. New here,will take time. Me being an underground coal miner most people think stupidity goes hand in hand with the occupation. Again I appologise.

You served up that big fat soft ball right over the plate and I couldn't resist................

reloading components are a little easier to come by but primers are can be a little scarce, powder can still be found, if you get a mold you can cast your own bullets.

I would definitely recommend reloading,......if nothing else it will occupy time otherwise spent reducing your ammo stockpile building it up. And its fun, especially if you enjoy being an engineer.

I have been reloading for a short time now so learning it as I go. It has been fun so far and not blown self up. What is shelf life of reloading supplies like powder,primers. I thought about getting a broken dorm size fridg for storing the powder and stuff in. Think it will do the job?? Thanks for not being to PO at me and yes I did leave the first post wide open fot it,I could not have passed it up either,quick thinking on your part. If you reload I may bounce questions off you for help if thats ok.

Links