Are "remanufactured" actually reloads?

This is a discussion on Are "remanufactured" actually reloads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A buddy found a site that has remanufactured and premium ammo. From what I was told, it is a local guy who loads ammo with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Are "remanufactured" actually reloads?

A buddy found a site that has remanufactured and premium ammo. From what I was told, it is a local guy who loads ammo with all the needed licenses from the Feds to produce and sell ammo. It was avalible at a LGS some time back, but I don't know if it still is. You can select from different grain loads so it looks like everything is on par. The price is decent and they have ammo in stock.

Only downfall is the local range does not permit us using reloads. I sent the guy an email for more information the other day and have not heard back yet.

Have you ever bought remanufactured ammo before? How was it?

VIP Member
    Really poorly worded question. It is like asking "Have you drank a glass of water and how was it?" Remanufactured ammo is ammo made from used brass, normally by a commercial outfit. To what spec it is loaded to is up to the company that is doing it. In your case you are asking about a local to you company, without specifying a name or specific location of the company...hence my glass of water analogy.

I use remanufactured ammo for range ammo all the time. It is usually cheaper and works just fine for practice. HSM and BVAC are just two of the larger more well know companies in the West (Montana). Locally I have used Sheepdog Ammo and Arnold's Ammo. There are many, many others.

So to answer your question, remanufactured ammo is ammo made from used brass and I have used remanufactured ammo and it was great. However, that really doesn't mean squat for you.

Better to ask somebody local who has used that ammo and to get the load data from that company.

The term Remanufactured is commonly used for mass produced commercial ammo made with used brass.

The term Reloaded ammo is commonly used for individually loaded ammo (done by one person sitting at a reloading bench) and it can be done with all new components (new brass, bullets) and is still called reloaded ammo.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

If hes been in business for a long time, its a good sign that he does good work. But ask locally. Ive had good and bad results from re manufactured ammo. Being local you stand a better chance of getting a good deal. I bought re man 9mm ammo twice, the first time with no problems from a local guy. The second time was from a gun show, and 25% of it wasn't re-sized right and wouldn't chamber in my gun. I ended up with 250 rounds that were out of spec. I finally gave them to a friend that broke them down for the bullets. DR

It sounds like what you're trying to determine is if these rounds can be used at your range. I think the best thing to do here is ask them outright. If you shoot there regularly it's best to be upfront to maintain a good relationship with them. If not, and you use them and something happens (always a possibility), they could bar you from the range permanently.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Is a "pre-owned" vehicle a used car? The answer to both is yes. They just try to make it sound better, more of a "professional" product. I tend to trust my 100% personally inspected and tested "reloads" than any commercial product, whether new or remanufactured. Some choose to trust ammo cranked out by the 1000s and sampled by lots. It's a personal choice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    Buy a box, shoot it, and see how much you like it. If the box is label "remanufactured" is will have been loaded with automated equipemnt and will emulate factory specs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Is a "pre-owned" vehicle a used car? The answer to both is yes. They just try to make it sound better, more of a "professional" product. I tend to trust my 100% personally inspected and tested "reloads" than any commercial product, whether new or remanufactured. Some choose to trust ammo cranked out by the 1000s and sampled by lots. It's a personal choice.
    I wouldn't use your ammo on a dare in my weapons as I don't know your specs, what your QA/QC is, nor do I have any idea what you do with your brass before you reload. It may be fine for you, but you can't sell it legally to anyone else, nor would you have or likely could you get liability insurance for your "product". Additionally you would not be able to use it on the OP's range, whereas the remanufactured likely you would be able to.

These guys however I have used and will use extensively as their specs, process, QA/QC is quite good.

Remanufactured Ammo Facts

BTW: I have been reloading for over 40 years, so this isn't a rant on reloading.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

Reloaded/Reloads: Ammunition reloaded by an unlicensed individual, like their own person use handloads.

Remanufactured: Ammunition reloaded by a properly licensed business (ammunition manufacturer) that loads and sells ammunition.

Remanufactured ammunition isn't necessarily loaded on automated equipment.
    OldVet likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Reloaded/Reloads: Ammunition reloaded by an unlicensed individual, like their own person use handloads.

Remanufactured: Ammunition reloaded by a properly licensed business (ammunition manufacturer) that loads and sells ammunition.

Remanufactured ammunition isn't necessarily loaded on automated equipment.
    Thanks Tubby for a clear definition.

Here is a more complete discussion:

http://greatlakesammo.com/shopsite/page16.html
    Last edited by Chorizo; February 10th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Really poorly worded question. It is like asking "Have you drank a glass of water and how was it?" Remanufactured ammo is ammo made from used brass, normally by a commercial outfit. To what spec it is loaded to is up to the company that is doing it. In your case you are asking about a local to you company, without specifying a name or specific location of the company...hence my glass of water analogy.

I use remanufactured ammo for range ammo all the time. It is usually cheaper and works just fine for practice. HSM and BVAC are just two of the larger more well know companies in the West (Montana). Locally I have used Sheepdog Ammo and Arnold's Ammo. There are many, many others.

So to answer your question, remanufactured ammo is ammo made from used brass and I have used remanufactured ammo and it was great. However, that really doesn't mean squat for you.

Better to ask somebody local who has used that ammo and to get the load data from that company.

The term Remanufactured is commonly used for mass produced commercial ammo made with used brass.

The term Reloaded ammo is commonly used for individually loaded ammo (done by one person sitting at a reloading bench) and it can be done with all new components (new brass, bullets) and is still called reloaded ammo.

So was the glass of water wet too?

I have always used new ammo that I bought at the store. This is the first time that I have seen remanufactured ammo. Since I asked the question, I have also leaned that it is often safer than reloads since it is to factory specs, and most ranges look at it the same as new ammo.

I have used remanufactured ammo from 3D and Black Hills without any issues. There is a new (at least to me) remanufacturer here in the Houston area that I have yet to try. The Black Hills stuff I have used in competition (CMP) and I found it to be every bit as good as their "new" stuff. Their .308 match loads actually shot better in my rifle than Federal Gold Medal Match.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Just remember, even the bigger suppliers of "re-manufactured" ammunition can go down hill fast.

Anyone remember Lancer? Started off great, excellent price and quality and in a short period of time became responsible for several KABOOMS and then disappeared.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Thanks Tubby for a clear definition.

Here is a more complete discussion:

Remanufactured vs Reloaded
    There are a lot of factual errors, chosen omissions, and fluffy marketing language used on that page. They could also take the time to proofread it for the spelling and grammatical errors.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    There are a lot of factual errors, chosen omissions, and fluffy marketing language used on that page. They could also take the time to proofread it for the spelling and grammatical errors.
    Can you expand on the errors and omissions?

VIP Member
    Please. Critical comments without explaining what they are is just grousing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links