9mm Load Reliability

This is a discussion on 9mm Load Reliability within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to 9mm, mostly been a .40 or .45 guy. Just curious, is there a bullet weight round (115, 124, 147) that you find to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mdt1911
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: 9mm Load Reliability

9mm Load Reliability

New to 9mm, mostly been a .40 or .45 guy. Just curious, is there a bullet weight round (115, 124, 147) that you find to feed and cycle more reliably than others? Not talking about P+, or hollow point vs round nose, though I'd welcome that feedback too. This would be coming out of a M and P 9c... With the ammo shortage, I want to scoop up what is likely to be most reliable before other considerations at this point, without squandering $$ experimenting, if you can shorten that learning curve for me... Thanks.
    HAWKEYE50 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The bullet shape has more to do with feeding reliability/issues than the weight. I've "heard" of some pistols not liking the 147 grains due to its length, but as with all loads, it's a test for reliability first before carry.
    cmdrdredd likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I have 4 9mm currently, and NONE of them are finicky with regard to ammo.
    3 are S & W's and the other is a KT P11.
    Sold an M&P9c to fund my M&P 357sig compact, and it was never fussy either.

You should be fine, it should eat anything that would normally make a billy goat puke.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

M&Ps should eat anything. They aren't picky about ammo. Don't worry about it.

I use HSTs in my M&P .40 and my brother runs 147gr+P HSTs in his Shield 9mm. No problems.

I also shoot a wide variety of my reloads which use different bullet weights (115-147gr) and designs (FP, HP, RN) through my M&P with a factory 9mm barrel and magazine and I've never had a feeding problem.

That's what I expected, my other M and P in .40 isn't fussy about ammo, but it never hurts to ask. With my other calibers and pistols, the only thing I've even remotely run into feed or ejection wise have been either my imperfect re-loads, or sporadically, some HP bullets....

I have a xdm 9mm and it will eat anyone thing I feed it, I've had almost 1000 rounds through it will a variety of ammo and have yet to have a malfunction.

Hornady Critical Duty +P. Low Flash Powder for SD at night. FBI Expansion tested through Glass, Sheetrock, Wood Panel,etc. watch the video on YouTube. I TRUST my Life to them.
    SHARE THE SHOOTING SPORTS, AND HUNTING WITH YOUR KIDS.
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...29138960_o.jpg
    XDM 5.25 9mm/SA SS 1911A1 Loaded/PK380/SS SingleSix

Quote Originally Posted by mdt1911 View Post
    New to 9mm, mostly been a .40 or .45 guy. Just curious, is there a bullet weight round (115, 124, 147) that you find to feed and cycle more reliably than others? Not talking about P+, or hollow point vs round nose, though I'd welcome that feedback too. This would be coming out of a M and P 9c... With the ammo shortage, I want to scoop up what is likely to be most reliable before other considerations at this point, without squandering $$ experimenting, if you can shorten that learning curve for me... Thanks.
    Several times, I have intentionally mixed rounds by different manufacturers, different weight, and fmj and hollow point in the same magazine with my 9c and experienced no problems. Love this pistol

Links