Using +P ammo in my Ruger SR9c.

This is a discussion on Using +P ammo in my Ruger SR9c. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does any one know if I can shoot +P ammo in my 9mm ruger SR9c? Can't find any thing in the users manual....

Thread: Using +P ammo in my Ruger SR9c.

Does any one know if I can shoot +P ammo in my 9mm ruger SR9c? Can't find any thing in the users manual.

Yes you can use +P in your SR9c. Personally, I carry 147gr+P HSTs in mine.

Ruger Frequently Asked Questions
    Click "Pistols", then look under the question that asks "What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger 9mm pistol?" about a third of the way down.

Ruger says you can even use +P+.

Distinguished Member
    Yep, you are good to go. I like Gold Dots +P in 124 grain for my carry load. Not much difference in recoil.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Yeah shoot it all day long. no worries. great pistol. wouldn't it be great to have another for your other hand?
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

isnt +p ammo for compact guns anyone ie the sr9c? for the fact it has a little more punch

Yup even rated for +p+
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    Yeah shoot it all day long. no worries. great pistol. wouldn't it be great to have another for your other hand?
    HMMM It would be nice to have one for my other hand ;)

Thanks for the help. It's getting so hard to find ammo that I'm buying what ever is out there just so I have some. So far I've got 3 different brands.

I went with +p in mine as well.....

Distinguished Member
    Only my carry ammo is +P, and I don't shoot much of that due to the cost. But my SR9c seems to eat everything I feed it. It's just been on a diet since the ammo shortage.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

when I read
    "The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition."

I get the idea that 9x18, 9x21, and 9x23 wont work in the gun. Is that true? what does the 18,21, and 23 mean? is that the length of the cartridge?

as for all the, "compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards" how do I know if the ammo in question meets these standards when I'm standing at the counter?

If the ammo says 9mm luger you should be A-ok, the gun is made for 9 x 19 , not the other rounds you listed. I 'm not educated sufficiently to 100% guarantee this, but I can't think of any commercial name brand ammunition by a major manufacturer that would fall outside the specs you mentioned. Any gun store can help you find acceptable ammunition if you are uncertain.

I load mine with standard HST 147 and shoot the HST 147+p out of my H&K USP. The SR9c is a great little gun!
    SR9c
    S&W 620
    Kimber Pro Carry II

Links